testtest

Floating Cities: Nimitz-Class Aircraft Carriers

While the author states the Nimitz Class supplemented the Kitty Hawk & Enterprise Classes it also supplement the Forrestal Class and Midway Classes in the overall CV Fleet structure.

The Nimitz Class also introduced a different hull form than the USS Enterprise.

Also, the full load displacement of the Nimitz Class is 100,020 long tons not the stated 89,566 tons.

The article needs some editing.

My .02

You haven’t lived until you’ve seen one of these monsters creep up your fantail for an UnRep.

In the 80‘s I was out with the Nimitz-class USS Carl Vinson and the Forrestal-class USS Ranger. I was on a Combat Stores ship and we would perform underway replenishments for the battle group. When we did the carriers, they would slowly creep up on us from the stern until they came up along side, just a 100 feet anyway or so.

Truly awe inspiring!

While the author states the Nimitz Class supplemented the Kitty Hawk & Enterprise Classes it also supplement the Forrestal Class and Midway Classes in the overall CV Fleet structure.

The Nimitz Class also introduced a different hull form than the USS Enterprise.

Also, the full load displacement of the Nimitz Class is 100,020 long tons not the stated 89,566 tons.

The article needs some editing.

My .02
Indeed on the overlap. In the mid 80’s me and a couple of shipmates took a tour of the USS Midway in Yokosuka, Japan. She was still an active carrier at the time, even though she was commissioned in the 1940s.

i got lots of time on these big babies
america, roosevelt, kennedy, saratoga, kitty hawk and Ike. liked being able to grab chow 24/7 ,

but i prefer my smaller ships CG, FFGs and DDG better company, but food is not as good
nothing beats a pierside port visit...riding boats from 3 miles out sucks

interesting read, thanks.

i had always wondered how many people are on those ships.

also interesting that chow time is 24/7...jesus........
each boat is different but 4500- 6500 is the range
there are lots of places to put in bunks

food 24 /7 was great i usually worked the 7 pm to 7 am shift so getting a hot meal was paramount at times

on the smaller boats chow as 7-9 am, 11-1pm ans 4pm to 7pm and a quick crap food at 11pm most ships but each ship had its own times
but in CPO mess we pretty much made chow when ever we got hungry or needed to feed our trooper that were up busting asss for a quick pick me up... hot dogs and sliders :ROFLMAO:

I spent nine months on the John C. Stennis, CVN-74, and being a Marine on a Navy ship only made it better.

At the time I was deployed, the ship wasn't even ten years old.

And of all the things I did while on active duty, the time on ship was the most satisfying. And it was the best paid vacation I ever had.

I spent nine months on the John C. Stennis, CVN-74, and being a Marine on a Navy ship only made it better.

At the time I was deployed, the ship wasn't even ten years old.

And all the things I did while on active duty, the time on ship was the most satisfying. And it was the best paid vacation I ever had.
dont tell anyone.....but being at sea is the best and the easiest part.
its all the crap leading up to a long deployment that sucked pickled assss

I'd have traded more than I can say to have had the option for Sea Duty like my Squid brothers, but carrier dets were so sought after that getting two of them was nearly impossible.
The best part was the scenery changed, we got paid well, and we got to go to cool places for Liberty.

each boat is different but 4500- 6500 is the range
there are lots of places to put in bunks

food 24 /7 was great i usually worked the 7 pm to 7 am shift so getting a hot meal was paramount at times

on the smaller boats chow as 7-9 am, 11-1pm ans 4pm to 7pm and a quick crap food at 11pm most ships but each ship had its own times
but in CPO mess we pretty much made chow when ever we got hungry or needed to feed our trooper that were up busting asss for a quick pick me up... hot dogs and sliders :ROFLMAO:
were those hot dogs...truck stop roller dogs??

dont tell anyone.....but being at sea is the best and the easiest part.
its all the crap leading up to a long deployment that sucked pickled assss
Well, Chief, I hit my first ship as an E-1 and underway ended up assigned to every BS detail and collateral duty there was. Those weren‘t Carnival cruises to me. After E4 it would be a different ball game, but early on…

I had a run in with a Cheif Bosun's mate during morning sweepers, as a Marine I wore green coveralls, with a squadron patch on one side and my leather name tag on the other ( complete with Eagle, Globe, and Anchor, rank Corporal at the time, and unit, MALS-11), and as such I had no web belt on to complete the uniform, and coveralls are (at least then they were) a uniform for sailors.
So, said Chief rips into me for being out of uniform, and every time he asks a question as to why, I try to discreetly get the point across that I'm NOT a sailor.
Well, he finally wore good sense out and I told him, " look Cheif, I'll happily go get my web belt and put it on, but it's going to confuse every sailor that sees me, because my web belt is the same color as yours (khaki, with a brass buckle), but if you insist ", then he took the two seconds it took to look at my name plate, then he went full on blush RED as it sank in..........
I was a not so salty Corporal at the time, and my sweepers companion was a Third class Petty Officer, and the Chief didn't make out of the compartment before we both starting laughing our asses off at him..........
There are days I get lost in memories of the boat when I smell, hear, or see certain things, nothing and nowhere I've worked since compares to the job satisfaction, and pride I got (and still have) from seeing the fruits of my labor get slung off the cat to go do its work.
Nothing now even comes close........

Well, Chief, I hit my first ship as an E-1 and underway ended up assigned to every BS detail and collateral duty there was. Those weren‘t Carnival cruises to me. After E4 it would be a different ball game, but early on…
yup the bottom 3 , especially e1 and e2 suck for a bit...but the cream always rises and you get promoted...
oh and one night on uss george washington.
i did not like being gone from my family, but being on the ship was a great way to be gone. we didn't have live email then either until my last deployment . had to wait on snail mail

this is my favorite pic... got me in detention with skipper back home... but hey it was a holiday, yes thats a michelob

yes i smell jet exhaust and i am taken back to a time.. or weird noises that only could come from a ship 400hz electric motor. cant sleep if house is quiet.
doing dumb stuff and fun stuff with work tossed in to get you grounded...
had my rear chewed a few times.
but as time goes on, you become the chewer vice the chewie...
the community i spent 16 years in, was small and we had 16 to 20 people on our detachment, so we were like a family of thieves, all for one and one for all mentality. we policed our own, and were very rarely out of sight of each other.
we went on port liberty as a group and dragged a few other of ships crews with us. we knew all the good places to eat and took mind bending trips if we had time and spent an awful amount of money on 'things'

i miss it terribly and it feels like yesterday, in fact oct 31 it will be exactly 20 years since i left. best day to retire and leave the circus :eek:

Attachments

• BEFORE 12AM.JPG
    BEFORE 12AM.JPG
    485.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
yup the bottom 3 , especially e1 and e2 suck for a bit...but the cream always rises and you get promoted...
oh and one night on uss george washington.
i did not like being gone from my family, but being on the ship was a great way to be gone. we didn't have live email then either until my last deployment . had to wait on snail mail

this is my favorite pic... got me in detention with skipper back home... but hey it was a holiday, yes thats a michelob

yes i smell jet exhaust and i am taken back to a time.. or weird noises that only could come from a ship 400hz electric motor. cant sleep if house is quiet.
doing dumb stuff and fun stuff with work tossed in to get you grounded...
had my rear chewed a few times.
but as time goes on, you become the chewer vice the chewie...
the community i spent 16 years in, was small and we had 16 to 20 people on our detachment, so we were like a family of thieves, all for one and one for all mentality. we policed our own, and were very rarely out of sight of each other.
we went on port liberty as a group and dragged a few other of ships crews with us. we knew all the good places to eat and took mind bending trips if we had time and spent an awful amount of money on 'things'

i miss it terribly and it feels like yesterday, in fact oct 31 it will be exactly 20 years since i left. best day to retire and leave the circus :eek:

My cruise got back to North Island not too long before that picture @powerboatr

My cruise got back to North Island not too long before that picture @powerboatr
iiirc we were off Istanbull, anchored, getting ready to go to Odessa UKRAINE, to eat, drink, and hug dignitaries and their girlfriends :eek: :eek:
what you dont see is the NATO battle group which was led by a turkish admiral,
we had greece, turkey, spain, germany italy, france and US ships
the germans built a hot tub on deck of their cruiser and had deliveries of beer at each port from homeland. each inport one ship was responsible for the party one night in port
i have never eaten and drank so much in my life. food from all over the world, beer, visitors, wine, more food
it was a gas, we were always as one

Attachments

• P6050001.JPG
    P6050001.JPG
    373.1 KB · Views: 109
iiirc we were off Istanbull, anchored, getting ready to go to Odessa UKRAINE, to eat, drink, and hug dignitaries and their girlfriends :eek: :eek:
what you dont see is the NATO battle group which was led by a turkish admiral,
we had greece, turkey, spain, germany italy, france and US ships
the germans built a hot tub on deck of their cruiser and had deliveries of beer at each port from homeland. each inport one ship was responsible for the party one night in port
i have never eaten and drank so much in my life. food from all over the world, beer, visitors, wine, more food
it was a gas, we were always as one

That picture reminds me of an Irish pub we found in Bahrain, good food, great booze, and pretty Expat Irish girls

That is a good day to get out. I had the good fortune of reporting to boot camp on April 1st (April fools). You can probably image how that went.
that would have been fun..
this thread has made me hungry. that last cruise i bet i gained 15 pounds from all the rich food.
odessa had a place called fat moses bar/grill they made a grilled chicken on a hard baget bread that was two breasts, plus all the fixings ... we even had them delver to the ship on work days ...out of this world tasty

The First & the Fastest....USS Enterprise (CVN 65)
1697937225817.png

There will always be a ship named Enterprise....

CVN-80 will be the 9th US Navy ship to wear that name.

Interesting trivia, CVN-80 will have some portholes installed that were installed on CV-6 and CVN-65. She will also have the same ship’s bell as both of those ships.

Last edited:
Back