testtest

Is Constitutional Carry a Mistake?

I agree completely . Constitutional carry is a great idea, it increases the potential for a bad guy to fail miserably to be bad. BUT the big difference between today and the 1700s is there is often little to no training.

I was public safety for over 30 years. If you knew the number of "idiots" go bought a gun and went to go bang bang with no clue about what they needed to do. I think that taking a course and staying up to date is mandatory for a good citizen. Should not be required. Its just good advice.

I have taught my kids to drive, but they also took a rather indepth driver training course because I wanted them properly trained in a 2 TON weapon.

I guess I believe All May, Some Should, None Must is the mantra.

Nothing worse than a person with a firearm and no training.
I beg to differ. A government controlled mandate to exercise a constitutional right is worse.

We have this conversation here an awful lot and I think we're really all mostly on the same page. We all believe that training is part of responsible gun ownership. Myself included. And I, and others here, are fervently against any government litmus test in order to own or carry a gun. In my mind it's a bunch of hand wringing over nothing. Yeah, there's idiots with guns. There's also a hell of a lot of criminals with guns. And on a somewhat regular basis I have been around idiots with guns who are cops. Trained professionals.

What I haven't seen as of yet in any of these permitless carry states is proof, evidence or data indicating that non criminal idiots with guns are much of a problem.

I also think that some of it is virtue signaling by gun owners who think they are well trained and they want everyone to know it. And no I'm not referring to anyone in particular or even necessarily anyone here, it isn't an accusation.

What I haven't seen as of yet in any of these permitless carry states is proof, evidence or data indicating that non criminal idiots with guns are much of a problem.
Spot On!
Much like "there will beblood in the streets, shoot outs over parking spaces".
Idiots with guns "concern" just allows the "pro" A2 people to pat themselves on the back, fluff up their own ego, with I'm so great, well trained, carry the "right stuff" and if you don't do thing my way, YOU'RE WRONG! Now they have an excuse to wring their hand pee their panties and tell everyone else what to do or should be doing. They may add in a bunch of fluff to sound reasonable, but the bottom line is CONTROL.
Even the title of the article “Is Constitutional Carry a Mistake?” twists my tail, and you can tell where this @$$hats going.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Is Constitutional Carry a Mistake?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/is-constitutional-carry-a-mistake/.

Loved Scott's article and in the end, yes go and get your CCW for the ' extra' protection. I want us law abiding citizens to stay safe and educated while exercising OUR 2A rights. Tho some states are trying to take our 2A away from us, but We The People must be smarter, especially when criminals have more rights than us. Stay safe, be aware, always be ready !

I recall looking up the laws when I was up there 4 or 5 years ago. And there were strange rules about towns and mining camps. It confused me.

Montana amended its law in 2021 to allow permitless concealed carry.

Old language

When is a concealed weapon permit required?

A permit is necessary only when the weapon is wholly or partially concealed on your person by your clothing or wearing apparel and you are carrying the weapon within the official boundaries of a city or town or the confines of a logging, lumbering, mining or railroad camp. Even with a concealed weapon permit, you may not carry a concealed weapon in buildings owned or leased by the federal, state or local government, any financial institutions, or any place where alcoholic beverage are sold, dispensed and/or consumed.

New

Unfortunately, the old language is still posted on some local government websites. Reference the "New" links above.

All this old...carrying the weapon within the official boundaries of a city or town or the confines of a logging, lumbering, mining or railroad camp, went away. Especially, since logging, lumbering, mining or railroad camp don't exist anymore.

Nothing worse than a person with a firearm and no training.
Yes there is. Tyrannical autocratic governments and criminals come to mind. I can think of many others. Perhaps you meant to say that you believe training is what responsible people should pursue? As we speak, members of the US House and Senate are attempting to pass legislation that would make training with a group of 3 or more people a felony. Were you aware of that?

Last edited:
Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Is Constitutional Carry a Mistake?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/is-constitutional-carry-a-mistake/.

This is precisely the logic I used when re-applying for my cc permit. Constitutional Carry is great in my state, but when I need to travel across state lines, it doesn't mean much in other states. With my cc permit, I KNOW which states have reciprocity and it makes things so much easier. Thanks for the article!

The way that I understand Constitutional Carry it only includes state residents. If I go 30 miles down the road I have to stop my bike and secure a firearm. People from other states can't come to mine and legally carry without permit.

The article states: "Presenting a Concealed Carry Permit card shows the officer(s) that, at least as of the date of the card issuance, you had no criminal record, and that you had some modicum of state mandated training".
In my home state of Pennsylvania, this is not correct. There is no training requirement to get a permit. You apply to the county sheriff, pay a fee, complete a background check, and you're good to go. Fortunately, consequences of this are rare, although just last week I read that a guy shot himself in the leg when a "holstered" handgun in his pocket "accidentally" discharged.

The way that I understand Constitutional Carry it only includes state residents. If I go 30 miles down the road I have to stop my bike and secure a firearm. People from other states can't come to mine and legally carry without permit.
Depends upon the state. In Florida you need only be 21 and legally able to possess a firearm. Know the laws of the states where you go. Although not required, I also recommend Florida residents get the training and license because Florida has reciprocity with 38 states.

Depends upon the state. In Florida you need only be 21 and legally able to possess a firearm. Know the laws of the states where you go. Although not required, I also recommend Florida residents get the training and license because Florida has reciprocity with 38 states.
But is that only for those that live in FL? I understand the 21 and legal but in my state you have to be a resident. I believe that Constitutional Carry should cover all states that have it. I haven't seen any reciprocity with CC.

Back