testtest

SOCOM 16 — Is a .308 Too Much for Home Defense?

No, but you need to be mindful of what loads you choose.

FMJ probably isn’t a great idea, nor would a SMK/OTM.

A 120gr varmint bullet—say a V-Max or NBT, on the other hand…is gonna be a day wrecker on the receiving end.

And before anyone screeches about how it’s gonna have a different POA/POI than the heavier bullets…

It’s moot at HD ranges—under 50 feet.

If you’re gonna take it outside, that’s a whole ‘nother story, but for HD—which I’ve always considered to mean “Inside the building”…it ain’t gonna matter.

Too much? No.

I have a Mk I SOCOM, understand the factory brake can be swapped out for a threaded adapter to mount a suppressor, like the author's.

I have one of those adapters. Yet I've read that its gas system benefits from being tuned to the loads being used.

The adjustable gas block product I'd read about (from Schuster Mfg.) that facilitates this isn't presently available.

So I'm hesitant to spend $$$ for a .308-capable suppressor that may never be used.

So I'm curious if the author's experience supports using a suppressor on an M1A SOCOM w/o the benefit of an adjustable gas block to deal with gas back pressure?

I have the Scout Squad version of this rifle and I would never use it in a defensive manner mainly because I don't want to take a chance on wounding someone in the house next door or across the street. I think my 9mm or my 45 ACP is plenty for defense within the home. The .308 has enough power to go through my walls and still possess enough energy to penetrate a neighbor's house. If you live out in the country on 5 or 10 acres, then the .308 might work for you, but not in a crowded urban environment.

Reactions: HPS
I have the Scout Squad version of this rifle and I would never use it in a defensive manner mainly because I don't want to take a chance on wounding someone in the house next door or across the street. I think my 9mm or my 45 ACP is plenty for defense within the home. The .308 has enough power to go through my walls and still possess enough energy to penetrate a neighbor's house. If you live out in the country on 5 or 10 acres, then the .308 might work for you, but not in a crowded urban environment.
Hate to break it to you, but both your 9mm and .45 have plenty of energy to go through both your, and your neighbor’s walls.

In fact, with the proper loads (see the ones I mentioned earlier), that .308 would likely go through fewer walls than either a 9mm or .45 JHP.

Seriously? Well I guess it depends on your "home" doesn't it? I mean if you live in an apartment in LA then uh yeah it's excessive. If you live in a 5000 square foot "cabin" in Montana sitting on 500 acres then why not a Barrett 82 in .50cal? Even on a small farm, unless in Grizzly country a PCC or shotgun will be plenty.

Hate to break it to you, but both your 9mm and .45 have plenty of energy to go through both your, and your neighbor’s walls.

In fact, with the proper loads (see the ones I mentioned earlier), that .308 would likely go through fewer walls than either a 9mm or .45 JHP.
So a frangible load is going to plow through walls?

I don't think the 9mm HP or the 45 ACP HP will get past the brick veneer.

So a frangible load is going to plow through walls?
Yes, in my direct experience.

A .357 Glaser blew through multiple sheets (over 4) of drywall. 9&.45 JHP goes through 8-10, typically.

Never test a .308 varmint load, but a .223, 55gr NBT went through 2, and sprayed a 3rd with fragments.

Yes, in my direct experience.

A .357 Glaser blew through multiple sheets (over 4) of drywall. 9&.45 JHP goes through 8-10, typically.

Never test a .308 varmint load, but a .223, 55gr NBT went through 2, and sprayed a 3rd with fragments.
Look, I'm as old as dirt but a Glaser Safety slug? Seriously, who still has that antique? Any of the new frangible 9mm loads will drop a threat and NOT penetrative 8 sheets of drywall.

LOL, i forgot about them Glaser slugs. i have some around here somewhere and have had them for many years. i don't even remember what caliber they are. probably 357 or 38.

The Vortex Venom? Comes with a Weaver / Picatinny mount.

Pretty much any vendor – on-line or brick and mortar – ought to be able to help you with that.

Otherwise, tune your browser-of-choice to EGW. They specialize in mounts of all kinds for optics.

Look, I'm as old as dirt but a Glaser Safety slug? Seriously, who still has that antique? Any of the new frangible 9mm loads will drop a threat and NOT penetrative 8 sheets of drywall.

Such as? As I’ve the Liberty loads go through multiple sheets as well.

Fact is, any round that will penetrate deeply enough to be an effective stopper will go through walls.

TANSTAAFL.

The Vortex Venom? Comes with a Weaver / Picatinny mount.

Pretty much any vendor – on-line or brick and mortar – ought to be able to help you with that.

Otherwise, tune your browser-of-choice to EGW. They specialize in mounts of all kinds for optics.
Thanks for trying, but the EGW website has nothing for the M14, and nothing close to what is shown in the article.

So, note they tested against steel, not drywall.

I’ve seen the frangible training loads (sintered) act just like FMJ when hitting drywall, plywood, etc…they have to hit something really hard (like AR steel) to go to powder.

As for the rest…again, they blow up water jugs real good, but still go through drywall in my personal experience.

I don’t mess with frangible handgun rounds for defense. Prefer a good JHP any day.

My original request:

What's involved with tuning gas-operated rifles to back pressure from adding a suppressor? There's got to be more to this than just screwing a can onto the muzzle....

I have to agree that using an M1A for home defense has some significant 'what-if's' but then there's always the best tool for the job, you just have to be prepared for the blowback when it happens.

Back