testtest

1977 Colt Diamondback 38 SPL. w/4" barrel

Bassbob

Emissary
I'm curious if anyone here has a fairly accurate appraisal of this revolver I have. Serial number dates it to 1977. I would classify the condition as very good to excellent. I don't have the box or original papers that came with it. All the bluing is there and the bore is very clean and bright. It doesn't look to me like this one was fired a whole lot. I see no holstering marks and there are no scratches. It has checkered walnut Colt gold medallion grips. One of the grips has a hairline crack, possibly from over-tightening the screw. I have been doing luthiery work ( guitars) for 3 decades now though and this was an easy, professional fix with some Tite-Bond III and a clamp. The crack is still barely , BARELY visible and the only way to fix that is to sand it and re-stain it which I am not going to do. There's also a small chunk out of the bottom of the same grip.

I don't seem to have the knack for photography, but I did the best I could. I've seen the same gun, same year and everything, sold on-line anywhere from $1600-$2600. I'm not trying to sell the gun, I just need to know a ballpark value.

If you look at the bottom right of the grip you can kind of see the chunk out of it. And here you can see the crack in the grip is barely visible.

aeUuesg.jpg

izPcg0F.jpg

Rz632gF.jpg

xHLxYlm.jpg

ai9Be1z.jpg

TKPYaPg.jpg

9fQvYI0.jpg

62U1bwa.jpg

XcMjIsB.jpg

77x2QOr.jpg

And here's a close up of the crack in the grip

WKhik4l.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say under current conditions, $1600-2k is on the ballpark...probably in the low to mid spectrum ($1800 probably top end?).

2 years ago, I’d have said it was more in the $12-1400 range.

Do you have the box & paperwork?

I'd say under current conditions, $1600-2k is on the ballpark...probably in the low to mid spectrum ($1800 probably top end?).

2 years ago, I’d have said it was more in the $12-1400 range.

Do you have the box & paperwork?
Was thinking just about the same on the price, any snake gun is commanding high prices, very nice revolver, to bad about no box and papers, you might take a small hit without them.

Was thinking just about the same on the price, any snake gun is commanding high prices, very nice revolver, to bad about no box and papers, you might take a small hit without them.
Well I'm not trying to sell it. And if I told you what I paid for it you wouldn't believe me. It's literally impossible for me to take a hit on it. ;-)

I've had this revolver for over 20 years. Never really gave much thought to it being a "snake" gun or iconic. In fact I have never even fired it. I was never real interested in .38 SPL. ( still ain't). What I paid for the gun is about the same as it would cost me to fill up my truck with fuel right now ( not adjusted for inflation). It wasn't until the stuff I own and insure via a rider dramatically changed that I gave a second thought to the Diamondback. Over the last couple years I quit gigging in working bands and sold off my PA rig and a couple of my back up bass rigs, which accounted for about $30k of my rider and I have bought quite a few new other items. So an accurate as possible adjustment is necessary.

Upon looking at this specific gun and values and prior sales on the internet I was kind of shocked at how much it was worth. Still am frankly.

By the bye: that’s a really nice Diamondback. Used enough where you don't feel bad taking it out for a spin every now and then (because they are joys to shoot), but in really nice shape otherwise.

Definitely a keeper.

I've had this revolver for over 20 years. Never really gave much thought to it being a "snake" gun or iconic. In fact I have never even fired it. I was never real interested in .38 SPL. ( still ain't). What I paid for the gun is about the same as it would cost me to fill up my truck with fuel right now ( not adjusted for inflation). It wasn't until the stuff I own and insure via a rider dramatically changed that I gave a second thought to the Diamondback. Over the last couple years I quit gigging in working bands and sold off my PA rig and a couple of my back up bass rigs, which accounted for about $30k of my rider and I have bought quite a few new other items. So an accurate as possible adjustment is necessary.

Upon looking at this specific gun and values and prior sales on the internet I was kind of shocked at how much it was worth. Still am frankly.
Never fired? Am seeing 38 ammo hitting the shelves around here again. Even if don't fire it is still nice to have correct ammo on hand.

Never fired? Am seeing 38 ammo hitting the shelves around here again. Even if don't fire it is still nice to have correct ammo on hand.

Oh I never said I didn't have ammo for it. I got a pile of .357s so I got plenty of .38 on hand. I just never had the desire to take this little gun out shooting. If I'm honest, until recently I really never considered shooting .38 through my .357s all that often though. I reload .357 and .44 Mag so cost of target ammo was never really a consideration.

I should quantify that I have actually seen the gun fired, as I bought it off a friend of mine who had it with him at a few of our range trips. He acquired the gun from a retired Georgia State Trooper.

Oh I never said I didn't have ammo for it. I got a pile of .357s so I got plenty of .38 on hand. I just never had the desire to take this little gun out shooting. If I'm honest, until recently I really never considered shooting .38 through my .357s all that often though. I reload .357 and .44 Mag so cost of target ammo was never really a consideration.

I should quantify that I have actually seen the gun fired, as I bought it off a friend of mine who had it with him at a few of our range trips. He acquired the gun from a retired Georgia State Trooper.
(y)(y)

I'm curious if anyone here has a fairly accurate appraisal of this revolver I have. Serial number dates it to 1977. I would classify the condition as very good to excellent. I don't have the box or original papers that came with it. All the bluing is there and the bore is very clean and bright. It doesn't look to me like this one was fired a whole lot. I see no holstering marks and there are no scratches. It has checkered walnut Colt gold medallion grips. One of the grips has a hairline crack, possibly from over-tightening the screw. I have been doing luthiery work ( guitars) for 3 decades now though and this was an easy, professional fix with some Tite-Bond III and a clamp. The crack is still barely , BARELY visible and the only way to fix that is to sand it and re-stain it which I am not going to do. There's also a small chunk out of the bottom of the same grip.

I don't seem to have the knack for photography, but I did the best I could. I've seen the same gun, same year and everything, sold on-line anywhere from $1600-$2600. I'm not trying to sell the gun, I just need to know a ballpark value.

If you look at the bottom right of the grip you can kind of see the chunk out of it. And here you can see the crack in the grip is barely visible.

aeUuesg.jpg

izPcg0F.jpg

Rz632gF.jpg

xHLxYlm.jpg

ai9Be1z.jpg

TKPYaPg.jpg

9fQvYI0.jpg

62U1bwa.jpg

XcMjIsB.jpg

77x2QOr.jpg

WKhik4l.jpg
This may help:

I always kind of looked at .38 Sp. the way I looked at 9mm. That is to say it never interested me much. Over the last couple years I have dipped my pinky toe in the German SA market and come around a little bit on the 9mm. It's still not my caliber of choice, but I certainly no longer believe it to be an inferior defensive caliber. Same goes for .38 I reckon.

This may help:

I saw that one. There are more recent sales though that brought more, in some cases considerably more though. Of course variables like condition of specific examples and rarity come into play. Mine doesn't seem to be particularly rare or in exceptional condition with box and papers though. The link you posted supports what Hans said earlier though as far as the difference in value between now and a couple years ago.

aeUuesg.jpg

izPcg0F.jpg

Rz632gF.jpg

xHLxYlm.jpg

ai9Be1z.jpg

TKPYaPg.jpg

9fQvYI0.jpg

62U1bwa.jpg

XcMjIsB.jpg

77x2QOr.jpg

WKhik4l.jpg
One heck of a great Conceal Carry piece.

i would get some speed loaders. Train hard. Wear that with pride as a conceal carry

One heck of a great Conceal Carry piece.

i would get some speed loaders. Train hard. Wear that with pride as a conceal carry
This brings to mind a question. Would my .357 speedloaders work for this gun ? I should probably check. Although I don't really foresee it spending much time on my hip.

One thing this gun does do for me. It makes me feel VERY slightly less of an outcast when I peruse the " Let's See Those Revolvers" thread. :)

You bastages making me and my lowly 6 wheel guns feel all inadequate and what not.

Back