testtest

Don’t Make This First-Time Gun Owner Mistake

I do like the emphasis on getting the right size/power equation for a person. Fortunately I can carry large revolvers/pistols of whatever cartridge loading I wish, comfortably concealed. Not everyone has the same body size, shape, hand size and grip strength as the next person. The advice to try it out is good. Once at a gun shop a couple were reviewing a choice for her. She was a small person, perhaps 5' and 95 lbs. The clerk was pushing her to get a lightweight, short barrel .357 mag, loftily crowing about the magnums power. I do wish stores would train their staff better to avoid such happenings.

Screenshot_20240815_115642_Samsung Internet.jpg

dang. what happened NMedge?
Purchased it on a black friday deal. Can't remember model but it was 9mm. Could not get a whole magazine thru it without jamming. On last mag it jammed so bad I couldn't clear it on range, had to get it home and beat the thing with a rubber hammer. As soon as it cleared I cleaned it up, called Ruger and sent it to them. Couple of weeks later I got it back and sold it. It looked cheaply made and just didn't feel right. I guess the HK's spoiled me.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Don’t Make This First-Time Gun Owner Mistake” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/dont-make-this-first-time-gun-owner-mistake/.

The Echelon will be greater if they make a shorter barrel version for EDC. The current version is too large for EDC in my opinion. The Echelon's modular versatility and crisp trigger make it a great 9mm handgun. Don't own one yet, as I waiting for a shorter version to review/analyze before considering a purchase. Even Taran Butler likes the current Echelon, of course, as tripped out by Taran Tactical.

Hilariously I started oh...in the 80s carrying the 38/357 Revolver...then when my agency went to semi auto I was given a truly awful 1911 compact. Then they went to Sig 229 DAO .40 not my best time. Then we went to Sig P226 9mm...which IMHO was the greatest gun/boat anchor made. Today I carry a CZ75 Compact and my primary weapon, have a Hellcat as a backup ..BUT when I met sweetie at the range. She had been sold a Walther CCPmod1 (Complete Crap Piece) and a Ruger LC9. Neither of which she could or wanted to shoot.
I start with a 22 single action revolver (theory they can only accidentally shoot me once) and work up through 380 to 9 to 40 to 45 (with the 38/357 revolver thrown in just for shits and giggles) . In the end she had shot some of each.
She liked the Bersa 383A (380 original Argentinean pistol) but ended up getting a Hk Vp9Sk...which she loves. When we travel I carry a HKp30SK for mag exchangeability.

That said...I do have a Springfield Range Officer Compact as my next to be gun. Various prices and cost points.

My direction to anyone wanting to get into guns the first time. Go somewhere where you can shoot various guns, rounds etc. THEN get training on what you choose. Whether they get a 1911, or revolver or Glock 19 (the best gun you have to upgrade literally every component) or whatever...make sure its a gun you will practice with and be willing to shoot.

My best friend's petite little wife shoots a 22 mag revolver. BUT she can put every shot in a quarter size hole at 20 yards. I am betting a quarter size hole of 7 22 mags somewhere on the body will have an effect.

I would rather they hit someone 7 times with 22 mag than miss 7 times with 45 acp.

OH and last word....Practice practice practice. Invest in a laser trainer (40bucks on amazon for a Pink Rhino for a 9mm) and dry shoot the crap out of it. Get the trigger pull to be second nature.

"If you are not able to meet your expectations in practice because your pistol is uncomfortable to shoot, you will become discouraged and will never be able to be at your best." This is the EXACT reason I sold our Hellcat about two months after buying it. It was like shooting a little porcupine. I knew that, as much as I liked how it looked and as much as it fit the Kool-Aid I drank about needing a micro compact, I'd never devote time to shooting it.

Expensive lesson to learn, especially after I'd already tried the P365 and other micros and didn't like them, either. So, I still carry my Springfield XD Mod.2 subcompact. It's a little larger and a little heavier, but it's a double stack I can shoot well, even with the flush mag, and it conceals well enough. I practice (dry fire, live fire, drawing from concealment, etc.) and it doesn't wear me out. It's solid, fits me, and has been 100% reliable.

Since this is an article directed at new gun buyers, I'll share one thing I've learned. When I first started carrying, I was manic about printing. I'd look in the mirror and if I saw even a partial outline, I'd go put on something else that hid the complete firearm. That got to be a real pain. These days? I probably print a little from time to time, but through experience I discovered something magical: the great majority of people never even notice. And, the ones who do, are usually carrying themselves. The fact is, people aren't paying attention. They're immersed in their own little worlds and could generally care less unless you bust into Publix with an AR and start shooting up the place.

Don't get me wrong, I don't go around with a Desert Eagle on my hip, but a quality kydex IWB holster, a good belt, and a baggy t-shirt are just fine in the summer time. Come winter this year, I may even work on carrying my XDM Elite Tactical OSP. I'm thinking a tight OWB holster will work great while covered up by baggy layers and winter jackets!

Purchased it on a black friday deal. Can't remember model but it was 9mm. Could not get a whole magazine thru it without jamming. On last mag it jammed so bad I couldn't clear it on range, had to get it home and beat the thing with a rubber hammer. As soon as it cleared I cleaned it up, called Ruger and sent it to them. Couple of weeks later I got it back and sold it. It looked cheaply made and just didn't feel right. I guess the HK's spoiled me.
We still have the first 9mm we bought: a Ruger 9E. Other than (finally) finding night sights that would fit, we've done nothing to it. And my wife still shoots it better than anything else we've had since. It has a been a solid performer for us.

Hilariously I started oh...in the 80s carrying the 38/357 Revolver...then when my agency went to semi auto I was given a truly awful 1911 compact. Then they went to Sig 229 DAO .40 not my best time. Then we went to Sig P226 9mm...which IMHO was the greatest gun/boat anchor made. Today I carry a CZ75 Compact and my primary weapon, have a Hellcat as a backup ..BUT when I met sweetie at the range. She had been sold a Walther CCPmod1 (Complete Crap Piece) and a Ruger LC9. Neither of which she could or wanted to shoot.
I start with a 22 single action revolver (theory they can only accidentally shoot me once) and work up through 380 to 9 to 40 to 45 (with the 38/357 revolver thrown in just for shits and giggles) . In the end she had shot some of each.
She liked the Bersa 383A (380 original Argentinean pistol) but ended up getting a Hk Vp9Sk...which she loves. When we travel I carry a HKp30SK for mag exchangeability.

That said...I do have a Springfield Range Officer Compact as my next to be gun. Various prices and cost points.

My direction to anyone wanting to get into guns the first time. Go somewhere where you can shoot various guns, rounds etc. THEN get training on what you choose. Whether they get a 1911, or revolver or Glock 19 (the best gun you have to upgrade literally every component) or whatever...make sure its a gun you will practice with and be willing to shoot.

My best friend's petite little wife shoots a 22 mag revolver. BUT she can put every shot in a quarter size hole at 20 yards. I am betting a quarter size hole of 7 22 mags somewhere on the body will have an effect.

I would rather they hit someone 7 times with 22 mag than miss 7 times with 45 acp.

OH and last word....Practice practice practice. Invest in a laser trainer (40bucks on amazon for a Pink Rhino for a 9mm) and dry shoot the crap out of it. Get the trigger pull to be second nature.
I wish I could use like and laugh emojis at the same time, "...the best gun you have to literally upgrade everything... :LOL: ).

I second the practice/dry fire! I went a little higher and got the Mantis X10 and it is the BOMB. I have absolutely dry fired the heck out of my pistols with that. the app feedback is great and the different drills continue to work you until you get them and as you see your scores coming up and the excess movement getting smaller, you eventually can feel when you press that trigger well without even looking at the app.

Now I need to spend more cycles on their Laser Academy setup; that's sweet, too.

"If you are not able to meet your expectations in practice because your pistol is uncomfortable to shoot, you will become discouraged and will never be able to be at your best." This is the EXACT reason I sold our Hellcat about two months after buying it. It was like shooting a little porcupine. I knew that, as much as I liked how it looked and as much as it fit the Kool-Aid I drank about needing a micro compact, I'd never devote time to shooting it.

Expensive lesson to learn, especially after I'd already tried the P365 and other micros and didn't like them, either. So, I still carry my Springfield XD Mod.2 subcompact. It's a little larger and a little heavier, but it's a double stack I can shoot well, even with the flush mag, and it conceals well enough. I practice (dry fire, live fire, drawing from concealment, etc.) and it doesn't wear me out. It's solid, fits me, and has been 100% reliable.

Since this is an article directed at new gun buyers, I'll share one thing I've learned. When I first started carrying, I was manic about printing. I'd look in the mirror and if I saw even a partial outline, I'd go put on something else that hid the complete firearm. That got to be a real pain. These days? I probably print a little from time to time, but through experience I discovered something magical: the great majority of people never even notice. And, the ones who do, are usually carrying themselves. The fact is, people aren't paying attention. They're immersed in their own little worlds and could generally care less unless you bust into Publix with an AR and start shooting up the place.

Don't get me wrong, I don't go around with a Desert Eagle on my hip, but a quality kydex IWB holster, a good belt, and a baggy t-shirt are just fine in the summer time. Come winter this year, I may even work on carrying my XDM Elite Tactical OSP. I'm thinking a tight OWB holster will work great while covered up by baggy layers and winter jackets!
Get an UrbanCarry "LockLeather" OWB for your specific EDC. You will not be disappointed. I have one for my Glock 43X MOS with optic and it works great.

very good comments Mr U. We should encourage the new to firearms folks to pick what works, fits and they can safely, comfortably be accurate with within state limits. I have some little "mouse guns", mostly for when not fully attired etc, running, but my choices are larger sizes.

Get an UrbanCarry "LockLeather" OWB for your specific EDC. You will not be disappointed. I have one for my Glock 43X MOS with optic and it works great.
received_438039607273297.jpeg

Back