testtest

Don’t Make This First-Time Gun Owner Mistake

Easy to shoot and small are inverse qualities. If someone is new, start them out with a full-sized or duty-sized gun. Starting with a .22 is a good idea too.

Buying your SO a tiny gun only insures that they won't want to go to the range with you. You may have to explain why smaller is harder.
My wife and two daughters enjoy going to the range with me, but tire easily after running my 9mm's through a few magazines. That's why I bought a cheap TX22. They love shooting it all day long because it's easy on their hands, while giving them the feeling of safety and control in handling a firearm. Of course I make them practice with my 9's to keep them in necessary tune with the kick they can expect if they would ever have to pull one in home defense.

Good article. Covers the essential considerations very well. But, allow me to suggest one additional consideration that is KEY if you expect your choice to include concealed carry among its duties but like me, you also happen to live somewhere the authorities who grant CCW permits have an extensive, often deliberately more difficult set of qualifying procedures than necessary; their end game being to pay little more than lip service to complying with NY v. Bruen, and to make the process to obtain a CCW difficult enough to deter most applicants. I have been a long time resident of CA, since long before this state went stupid, and in the county where I currently reside for who knows how much longer, our Sheriff, who is actually less strict than many, has a rather long list of CCW rules and qualifications; some of which make no apparent sense. One of the more restrictive aspects is a very specific, and very limited list of handguns that can even be approved for CCW. For example, ALL 1911s, regardless of make, caliber, size, et cetera are ILLEGAL for CCW in my county. Other popular and common guns banned include all versions of the SiG Sauer P320 or its ancestor, the P250 but the P226 and the SP2022 are okay. All approved makes and models for CCW cannot be equipped with any optics, lasers, or lights, or any aftermarket parts when inspected prior to range qualification, and it is unclear whether they can be modified once the CCW process is complete and the permit issued. Sooo, an important consideration in choosing a handgun if CCW is part of your plan would be to check with your local police department or country sheriff; whoever in your area is the grantor of such permits BEFORE you spend your hard earned dollars on a gun they won't even allow. Of course, if none of the ones you already have meet with your local LE approval, its a GREAT excuse to give the wife for going out and buying another new gun. :)(y)

I also live in the Northeast where summertime can be challenging for concealed carry. I purchased a Walter for my fiancée in nine mm. We belong to a local outdoor range and shoot three to four times a month, pistol, rifle mostly. Because of an injury to her hand, she sometimes has difficulty with anticipation.

I recently got her one of the new Smith and Wesson J frame in 32 H and R magnum, together with a Desantas pocket holster. She loves and shoots the J frame as good as her nine mm. The Smith and Wesson has the same approximate ballistics as a 38 Special with about 25% less felt recoil. Would I want to be in an extended gunfight with the J frame? No, but for an effective six shot handgun that is easily concealed to the extent that you almost forget that you are carrying a firearm, it is more then adequate for what is expected in a sudden encounter.

my first 2 guns (bought at the same time, at two different places) was the CZ 75 B, and the Glock G-17.

i had rented both guns at the range, each time i'd go.

i like the fit, and feel of each gun, yes, i liked the Glocks fit in my hand.

from there, i did not buy cheaper brands, but about the same if not more than my first 2 guns, especially the 1911's, and the revolvers.

i have sold many not cuz of fitment or problems with operation, but cuz i just wanted to cut back on what i had.

I also live in the Northeast where summertime can be challenging for concealed carry. I purchased a Walter for my fiancée in nine mm. We belong to a local outdoor range and shoot three to four times a month, pistol, rifle mostly. Because of an injury to her hand, she sometimes has difficulty with anticipation.

I recently got her one of the new Smith and Wesson J frame in 32 H and R magnum, together with a Desantas pocket holster. She loves and shoots the J frame as good as her nine mm. The Smith and Wesson has the same approximate ballistics as a 38 Special with about 25% less felt recoil. Would I want to be in an extended gunfight with the J frame? No, but for an effective six shot handgun that is easily concealed to the extent that you almost forget that you are carrying a firearm, it is more then adequate for what is expected in a sudden encounter.
How in the heck can the NE be challenging for CC in the summer??

A balmy 84 degrees 🤣🤣🤣

Try Texas where you need to conceal carry around a Speedo because its 104 and 112 heat index
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

:oops: No pics please
1724367406689.gif

Oh, and welcome to the forum 😉

You know what we call North East summertime here in Texas? Sweater weather.😜🤪 I carry a full size AIWB even when my speakers are melting to the sidewalk. I wouldn’t carry in the NE though because it’s so damn humid I’d want to shoot myself. I spent a large chunk of my childhood in Upstate NY in a house with no A/C relying on a giant box fan to keep cool. I used to wake up most nights thinking I was on a bombing raid over Germany.

Back