testtest

35 Round Echelon Mags while suppressed!

xdman

Self appointed Chief Armorer
Staff member
There are no 35 round Echelon magazines, so I had to make my own. I had a theory I laid out in my review video that I thought I could convert one. Today I was successfully able to make a 35 round magazine work! I cut a side notch out to make room for the Echelon internals and I had to cut a new magazine catch notch.

Some interesting findings:
1. The 35 round XDM magazines are tight in the Echelon frame and have to be pushed in or pulled out. Not bad, but they are not free falling. Weird the chrome XDM magazines are not tight and will inert and fall with ease?

2. The mag catch timing to lock onto the magazines are different and I had to cut another notch. Since this was a proof of concept I now have the measurements that I can use on my laser engraver to cut some clean notches and catch.

3. This is my second Echelon and testing a never fired pistol, with an experimental magazine is setting the pistol up for failure. We did have one no strike where the slide did not close all the way and almost had a second about half way though the magazine. Analyzing the video my theory was that I was using the YHM R9 a full steel suppressor that is beefy and full auto rated even with 556. So on a pistol it is on the heavy end. Add in Subsonic ammo and the weight combined with not enough power to fully cycle the slide.

4. I switched over to a form 1 XDMAN aluminum suppressor and the pistols momentum seemed better and it cycled better running like gang busters.

5. next is to make some of the chrome XDM mags work.

6. The Vortex Defender CCW fits the Echelon nicely side to side. But it does leave a gap front to back. I did not bother to sight it in, since it all be replaced with an RMR that I just need to find screws for. My screw kit disappeared out of this box, so I had to make due.

tempImageSRIKe6.jpg

Good job. I‘ll be interested in your follow ups you mentioned in the video. Maybe Springfield will take note and eventually start producing similar mags that insert and fall out a bit easier.

So......
instead of Using the 20 round, removing the extension, cutting the 17 rounds portion off until it gets to the double stack portion and making a piece that will connect both is beyond your skills? You can still use the spring and follower from the 35 rounder.
Just thinking outside the box?
It should drop free and insert easier.

Back