testtest

7.62 NATO vs .308 Winchester: What’s the Difference

Forgive me, but why would one use a caliber that is not engraved on their weapon? Cost? Availability?

I have a .308 bolt action rifle - in my case, what would be the driving force behind my trying to fire 7.62 in that weapon?

Honest question. I was always taught to ONLY use what was stamped into the weapon.
And I agree however the reason for my question was an “incase” situation where .308 was not available and what were my options.

I also had questions about 7.62 vs 308. I have a 308 sako and shoot either. i have read alittle online about it and they say there is no reason to worry about whicth one to buy and both are safe to shoot. I just bought the m1a in walnut and am waiting for delivery. all my guns have alaways been bolt action or pump except browning gold. I dont know about feeding in an semi auto but belive it doesnt make a difference in this round but could be wrong so dont yell at me. I buy the one on sale as i dont shoot competion. Plus after shooting I can say i won and everyone is full of ****, the best targets sheet was mine not theirs. haha

Forgive me, but why would one use a caliber that is not engraved on their weapon? Cost? Availability?

I have a .308 bolt action rifle - in my case, what would be the driving force behind my trying to fire 7.62 in that weapon?

Honest question. I was always taught to ONLY use what was stamped into the weapon.
In your case, cost. You would be able to get 7.62 cheaper than .308 whereas shooting .308, in my experience has been more accurate than 7.62. I have fired SOME 7.62 that has been accurate but it is mostly .308 that is more accurate and also more expensive.

To be honest when i shoot, and i dont often enough but i haven written down my scores by bullet brand,. i have noticed that cci bulets have always givin me my best scores but when i can get remmington by the bucket of like 1400 for 100$ i am also happy. 22 is the bullet i shoot most and use a sako 22 or old reminton 22 single shot where you have to pull back a pin before shooting,. I have a sako 22 with leopold scope and it shoots so good that 100 meters or 100 yard siting doesnt matter. very good

My sako coltsman in 308 is the most accurate gun i have ever shot. got a bullet drop compensator scope by leopold on it and it is amazing, . I bought the m1a because of rapid fire capability and the quality of workmanship . Plus sooner or later they will outlaw them in ny, the ar-15 already illegal. talked to gun store owners and the quality of m1a in walnut is so much beter than average ar-15 there is no comparision

I got a chance the last time I went to the range to try a Ruger American Rifle in .308, this is my favorite rifle cartridge, I was really impressed with the way and the accuracy this rifle had. To bad, my brother in law had a cheap scope, or I could really see what this rifle was capable of, trigger was decent, I may have to invest in one of these.

I got a chance the last time I went to the range to try a Ruger American Rifle in .308, this is my favorite rifle cartridge, I was really impressed with the way and the accuracy this rifle had. To bad, my brother in law had a cheap scope, or I could really see what this rifle was capable of, trigger was decent, I may have to invest in one of these.
I’m with you and have said the same thing. The 308/ 7.62x51 is, to this day my favorite ALL AROUND cartridge. It is accurate and effective. I have some guys, getting into firearms asking opinions on rifles and that is the first one I recommend.

Back