testtest

9mm vs .380: Which is Better for Self-Defense?

I run a simple 15 round backup gun course here that agencies do. I primarily do retired Bureau of Prisons but others filter in. The main reason is I keep it simple they aren’t going to learn anything (heck most were in the 80% of once a year shooters) and I watch them fiddle with their guns like it’s the first time ever so if I made it a course with reloads and malfunction drills I’d have a king day with Aneurysms involved.

They have to get 100% (I’ve had a couple I have had to fail) and everything else is on them. That whole you are all adults it’s on you the union can’t help you if you screw this up in the street!
its simple, practice, get a feel and be familiar with what your carrying and shooting, to keep your efficiency up to an acceptable level. i am retired LEO, my state required a yearly qualification of 70%. a 50 round course of fire from 2-25 yards. the agencys i worked for (depending on the agency) would not accept the "state standards" and required qualification 2-3 times yearly with a minimum score of 80-85%. still at that rate i am not sure i would want to be in a "gunfight" with a 80% shooter as your always responsible for where that bullet stops. even after retirement i still regularly go to the range to keep my skills sharp and on target. remember practice makes perfect

its simple, practice, get a feel and be familiar with what your carrying and shooting, to keep your efficiency up to an acceptable level. i am retired LEO, my state required a yearly qualification of 70%. a 50 round course of fire from 2-25 yards. the agencys i worked for (depending on the agency) would not accept the "state standards" and required qualification 2-3 times yearly with a minimum score of 80-85%. still at that rate i am not sure i would want to be in a "gunfight" with a 80% shooter as your always responsible for where that bullet stops. even after retirement i still regularly go to the range to keep my skills sharp and on target. remember practice makes perfect
You are lucky unfortunately most agencies won’t go above and beyond. As a Rangemaster instructor (and general training junkie) that drives me crazy as I see folks getting full value for outer 8 ring hits on a huge B27 which if you overlay that on an average man it’s a grazing hit at best. But at 100% they must be awesome!!!!!

IWPV221.jpeg

It's just my opinion after reading years of robbery stories, working for a local PD (in a street but non-sworn role, and having a few cases in my neighborhood growing up. In 100% of those cases the robbery or gunfight ended when the perp was shot once. Despite lore about the relentless perp, nobody really ever sticks around to see if you will shoot them again.

Back