testtest

A Gun for People Who Don’t Carry Guns?

I’ve got a lot of really good, reliable, accurate, carry guns. The most comfortable and the one I find myself carrying most is a Masada Slim with a 507k and Talon grip.
I have been carrying a 69C FN High Power - the original civilian version after the internal extractor was eliminated - since the mid 70's. Both for military and police work and now in retirement as a slow moving civvy cut like a marshmallow. I don't have a "rotation" of carry guns. It's the exact same thing with everything in the exact same place, every day.

I've regularly contemplated the latest versions of compacts like the Kimber Micro9 or S&W CSX - a very similar platform in that it is single action hammer fired pistol also equipped with a safety. The benefits being the much lighter weight and smaller size.

Despite that, I've decided that while lighter and slightly shorter might be nicer to some extent from a comfort perspective, it isn't any kind of a real advantage over what I've been choosing to carry - and it does take away a significant amount of the sight radius. I will probably carry this HP right up to the point I head off for the long dirt nap.

That said, I am not going to offer statements of fact that an FN High power or the current MkIII clones are the best choice for concealed carry, the 9mm is the best round where round count in combination with terminal performance are concerned, etc. My choices based learning and 50 years of experience fit me only - they're more likely to NOT fit the majority of other people. I'm not offended that they don't.

I know it has worked very well for me, nothing fits the hand and points as well as the FN High Power does for me, and it all combines to be a pistol that is very easy to shoot accurately with. I also know that anyone new to handguns for self defense is not going to find any benefit in concealed carrying a Hp when compared to their impressions when they compare it to a CSX, a Sig or Kahr compact, etc.

Must of us already do choose our platforms and calibers based on our leanings. It is one thing to refer to what the major manufacturers have said they have found in analyzing shootings where their service ammunition is concerned. It is another thing to present a personal opinion on a specific platform and/or caliber with claims it is "the best".

Nor do we all live our individual lives in the same political and environmental realities. I might think very differently on the available choices if I lived in the heat and humidity of coastal states like Florida. Or the political climate of a Soviet Democrat ran state with all my resulting concerns - if they would graciously issue me a CC permit to dare to exercise 2A rights in the first place.

Reality is usually complex on choices like this, not simple.

I have been carrying a 69C FN High Power - the original civilian version after the internal extractor was eliminated - since the mid 70's. Both for military and police work and now in retirement as a slow moving civvy cut like a marshmallow. I don't have a "rotation" of carry guns. It's the exact same thing with everything in the exact same place, every day.

I've regularly contemplated the latest versions of compacts like the Kimber Micro9 or S&W CSX - a very similar platform in that it is single action hammer fired pistol also equipped with a safety. The benefits being the much lighter weight and smaller size.

Despite that, I've decided that while lighter and slightly shorter might be nicer to some extent from a comfort perspective, it isn't any kind of a real advantage over what I've been choosing to carry - and it does take away a significant amount of the sight radius. I will probably carry this HP right up to the point I head off for the long dirt nap.

That said, I am not going to offer statements of fact that an FN High power or the current MkIII clones are the best choice for concealed carry, the 9mm is the best round where round count in combination with terminal performance are concerned, etc. My choices based learning and 50 years of experience fit me only - they're more likely to NOT fit the majority of other people. I'm not offended that they don't.

I know it has worked very well for me, nothing fits the hand and points as well as the FN High Power does for me, and it all combines to be a pistol that is very easy to shoot accurately with. I also know that anyone new to handguns for self defense is not going to find any benefit in concealed carrying a Hp when compared to their impressions when they compare it to a CSX, a Sig or Kahr compact, etc.

Must of us already do choose our platforms and calibers based on our leanings. It is one thing to refer to what the major manufacturers have said they have found in analyzing shootings where their service ammunition is concerned. It is another thing to present a personal opinion on a specific platform and/or caliber with claims it is "the best".

Nor do we all live our individual lives in the same political and environmental realities. I might think very differently on the available choices if I lived in the heat and humidity of coastal states like Florida. Or the political climate of a Soviet Democrat ran state with all my resulting concerns - if they would graciously issue me a CC permit to dare to exercise 2A rights in the first place.

Reality is usually complex on choices like this, not simple.

I have one hammer fired DA/SA gun and I like it a lot. An HK P30L. I carry it sometimes ( decocked- the gun has no safety) in the colder months when OWB is convenient . I'll also occasionally still carry a 1911. Prior to 2019 or so that's pretty much all I carried was 1911s. My first strikers were .45s and .40s as I was pretty well anti-9mm at that point. Then I discovered the HKs. Nowadays 99% of the time I am carrying a striker fired 9mm with no safety, a green dot and "High cap" mags. I train with all of them and frankly the mechanical differences between them are extremely minimal. The Masada has a button mag release, the HKs are all paddles. And I am comfortable with all of them and shoot them all well.

Back