testtest

A Resurgence of the 1911 for Duty?

After I left college, my vinyl collection was pretty trashed even though I had a nice turntable. Most sounded like popcorn. I still have my DCM Time Window speakers, but have added some Polk speakers and subwoofer. Bell bottoms are long gone and jeans waist size is up 6 inches. I like boot cut myself now. I bought a Ruger 1911 when they first came out, but it mostly gathered dust. Now the wife is shooting it and I picked up a Tisas, Ruger lightweight and a SA RO. I'm getting into them now. I can't get into Glocks because the slide is shaped like a two by four.

. . . I just got notice from one of them that, due to an increasing number of LEO's and agencies adopting 1911's for duty use, they are putting together a 3-day 1911 LEO instructor certification course . . .

Hmm, I'd like to know what "an increasing number of LEO's and agencies adopting 1911's for duty use" really looks like. I am a LEO instructor for multiple agencies and I'm not seeing or hearing that at all. The .45 ACP round, yes. The 1911, no.

All due respect to LEO, Most of the officer involved shootings around here look like dozens of rounds fired and very minimal hits to target. Perhaps a change in training and service weapon is warranted. 26 rounds are only effective if you are able to place a few on target. Just sayin....

All due respect to LEO, Most of the officer involved shootings around here look like dozens of rounds fired and very minimal hits to target. Perhaps a change in training and service weapon is warranted. 26 rounds are only effective if you are able to place a few on target. Just sayin....

If you are getting your data from watching the media then "it looks like dozens of rounds fired" because that's what they want you to see in their sensationalism of the news.

It's an interesting claim but I bet there is not much evidence of turning to 1911s. Mostly, they are the sidearm of choice for sheriffs who wear rows of stars and polished nickel sidearms. Even when that's the case, all their deputies are still carrying striker-fired sidearms.

I think there is an uptick of 1911 pattern guns in agencies that allow personally owned weapons. Mostly the Staccato guns but also the Wilson X9. The performance of modern JHP ammo, especially the 9mm 124 bonded rounds paired with the single action platform has been been a game changer for officer willing to master the platform.

Last edited:
I'm a LEO firearms instructor. I got my start with DA/SA. I wish they would grow in popularity.... enough that someone would finally release a subcompact 9mm, optics ready, with a rail, double stack. But I'm not picky.

In any event every year we do multi-agency quals. Agencies that are far enough away that I have to say, "And where is that?" Some of these agencies are small and this qual is one of the two that they have to shoot per the state. Anyways. The majority of small agencies allow their officers/deputies/agents to run with just about anything that they want. That is where I see the less mainstream pistols. 1911's. Full size revolvers. The occaisional Beretta 92/96. It's pretty cool except when the one 1911 guy starts telling everyone how his gun is better than everyone elses, but he has to re-shoot.

I don't know if I can do that at my current agency but I'm going to find out if my CZ P-07 will fly. If the USPS ever delivers my milled slide and I can put my gun back together.

I started my 12 year LEO stint in Louisiana in 1975. Of course no one carried pistols, revolvers ruled. Try speed loading a revolver with open cartridge loops or even worse drop boxes. I often carried six loose rounds in my weak side front pocket. Thank God never had to find out how quick I could do a reload. Yeah I practiced but never got proficient.

Back