testtest

Added a Springfield Rifle to the line up

I love M1 Garands. I still have 5 or 6. Two of them I built, starting with nothing but the receiver. Back in the day I ordered Springfield and LMR M1 barrels from Mr. Reese that were never issued. All of these barrels from dated from the 50s. You should plan to get the barrel gaged for throat erosion and muzzle wear. That will give you an idea on how much service it saw after it left Anniston. Sometimes a rifle has more muzzle wear than throat erosion. It wasn't shot that much, but was cleaned often with steel cleaning rods, thus the wear. The stock looks nice. You can take the action out and wash the stock down with water and dish detergent. It should brigthen it up some, and then you can apply some linseed oil or tung oil. Sometimes it takes several coats. Stay away from any sand paper and use only 0000 steel wool if you must. Remember it was built to be a warhorse and aquired all of those bumps and bruises in the service to our county.
I dont plan on touching the stock / finish.
I’m fine with how it looks.
Not going to make it a trophy, but a shooter along with my vintage FAL’s
As I mentioned a beautiful rifle and I’m glad you’re not planning on doing work on the wood stock, it’s in great shape.
After spending 20 years making gun stocks I completely disagree with using water and dish soap to “wash” a wood gun stock, yes these types of rifles are war horses and can get wet but purposely using water to clean them will damage the integrity of the wood and will lead to splitting and cracking during recoil as well as warpage. A gun stock is designed and requires to be at 6-8%
moisture content and can be damaged by soaking with water, yes a wood stock can be wiped down with a damp cloth if muddy and then be adequately (cleaned) with linseed oil and don’t forget to remove the action and lightly oil the action cuts in the wood where the wood has been machined and the internal grain has been exposed.

Went to the indoor range today.
Sighted in for 50 yards.( Max for the range)

Black front sight post thru a peep hole played hell with my old eyes.

It was shooting right and low and dialed it in for a bull and called it a day.
Next time I’ll use a red/white target.

558606D8-BDA9-4AEA-AA32-689D62C46B62.jpeg

Last edited:
The warhorses came out today.

Took the Garand out today for outdoor rifle range shooting.

Brought along a couple other warhorses for the shoot.
M1 Garand
M1A
FN FAL Para

A buddy and myself managed 3/4” groups with the M1 Garand and FAL at 50 yards.

Got rounds touching each other with the M1A.

All in all a great day out with the warhorses.
863D354A-2620-45DC-9956-43EA9C650488.jpeg
EFEE1D4B-9C21-4BCA-9DCC-E6CB975C8DF1.jpeg

M1 Garand
M1A
FN FAL Para

View attachment 30018View attachment 30019
Great group of battle guns, how does the 30-06 compare to shooting the .308 round?

Hey Keystone, you might want to turn the buckle around on your canvas M1 sling so those 2 prongs won't dent the stock. If you carry it around on your shoulder for any lenght of time you'll get the point(s). :)

Those are my rifles.
You Referring to the Garand or the M1A ?
Edit, nevermind .. i see your link is M1 Garand

I didnt install the sling, previous owner did

M1 Garand
M1A
FN FAL Para

View attachment 30018View attachment 30019
Are we talking about the guns or you. Good results either way. Got a balmy 85° today too.

Back