testtest

Advice on removing the Gas Tube from my new Saint Victor .308 w/10.3" barrel

I'm hoping that someone can offer a detailed description on the process of removing the Gas-Tube, in order to thoroughly clean my weapon. If there's a video available showing the process, I'd appreciate if someone could refer me to it. I realize that it's an adjustable tube, and I'd prefer not to change the factory setting, at least not at this point. I haven't determined which ammo I'll be running through it regularly, and haven't yet acquired the red-dot that I'll be using with it.

Good advice is greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance for taking the time to reply...

dusty

You typically never need to clean your gas tube as it was designed to be self cleaning. Unless it was contaminated with excess oil or something else I wouldn't recommend messing with it. The hot gas cleans the tube with every pull of the trigger.

I'm sure you will get different opinions here from some very knowledgeable folks who can provide more detail on the subject.

Last edited:
As 10mmLife states, one normally doesn't have to clean the Gas Tube. I did find a video on "How to remove the Gas Tube on an AR15/M4" to show you how. I'm sure there are other YouTube videos out there that also demonstrate this. The video shows this process starting at 2:40 in. Good luck if you go this route.

As 10mmLife states, one normally doesn't have to clean the Gas Tube. I did find a video on "How to remove the Gas Tube on an AR15/M4" to show you how. I'm sure there are other YouTube videos out there that also demonstrate this. The video shows this process starting at 2:40 in. Good luck if you go this route.

I wouldn't remove it for normal cleaning either, especially a pinned one! I would use a new pin every time, just my thoughts!

As stated with the heat and pressure (psi) coming from the .308 it is not needed. If and when it comes to an issue with your gas tube it is a cheap part to replace. It has a lo-pro gas block already so removing an A2 front sight, which can be a pain will not be an issue.

I will also add the no need to clean the gas tube. Even on extremely dirty AR’s you can run a pipe cleaner in it and they come out clean. If you want to see get you a pipe cleaner. Remove the upper from the lower. Remove the Bolt, Carrier and charging handle. Now flip the upper so you can see down into it and see the gas tube sticking out under the barrel. Next slide the pipe cleaner into the tube, do not force it. Shove it in and pull it out you will see thats one of the cleanest spots in the AR design. All the nasty gets dumped into the upper.

I'm hoping that someone can offer a detailed description on the process of removing the Gas-Tube, in order to thoroughly clean my weapon. If there's a video available showing the process, I'd appreciate if someone could refer me to it. I realize that it's an adjustable tube, and I'd prefer not to change the factory setting, at least not at this point. I haven't determined which ammo I'll be running through it regularly, and haven't yet acquired the red-dot that I'll be using with it.

Good advice is greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance for taking the time to reply...

dusty
MY GOOD ADVICE IS DON'T DO IT ! If it is not broken don't try to fix it . Big lesson I learned many years ago.

I appreciate all the good advice regarding the removal of the gas tube, and its much appreciated. So-far I've only function-tested the weapon with several different brands of ammo, and its runs flawlessly. My initial concern with removing the gas tube was due to the process that we practised in cleaning our M-16A2's back in 1975, while training in the military at Ft. Jackson, S.C..

We experienced a variety of issue's with their gas tubes, and removing them was a necessary step on occasion. Back in the 90's I also owned an Colt AR-15, but don't remember ever needing to break it down so far as to include removing its gas tube either.

I'm confident following the advice of those of you with more experience, and won't concern myself with removing the gas tube until I can confirm it being the cause of a malfunction. Thanks again to each of those who replied to my post as I'm content now knowing that I have no need to include removing the gas tube, as I'm guessing that its a absolute PITA to perform anyway...

dusty

Last edited:
I appreciate all the good advice regarding the removal of the gas tube, and its much appreciated. So-far I've only function-tested the weapon with several different brands of ammo, and its runs flawlessly. My initial concern with removing the gas tube was due to the process that practised in cleaning our M-16A2's back in 1975, while training in the military at Ft. Jackson, S.C..

We experienced a variety of issue's with their gas tubes, and removing them was a necessary step on occasion. Back in the 90's I also owned an Colt AR-15, but don't remember ever needing to break it down so far as to include removing its gas tube either.

I'm confident following the advice of those of you with more experience, and won't concern myself with removing the gas tube until I can confirm it being the cause of a malfunction. Thanks again to each of those who replied to my post as I'm content no knowing that I have no need to include removing the gas tube, as I'm guessing that its a absolute PITA to perform anyway...

dusty

I believe that practice in the Army was a carryover from Vietnam, when they initially used bad ammo (and possibly non-stainless gas tubes).

Shouldn’t be necessary any more.

The military, in all branches, are very particular on cleaning and servicing weapons. The armory would take care of anything that needed maintenance. 1975 to 2004 is a big change though. If you stuck anything in the gas tube you got something stuck up your, you know what....

I appreciate all the good advice regarding the removal of the gas tube, and its much appreciated. So-far I've only function-tested the weapon with several different brands of ammo, and its runs flawlessly. My initial concern with removing the gas tube was due to the process that we practised in cleaning our M-16A2's back in 1975, while training in the military at Ft. Jackson, S.C..

I'm confident following the advice of those of you with more experience, and won't concern myself with removing the gas tube until I can confirm it being the cause of a malfunction. Thanks again to each of those who replied to my post as I'm content now knowing that I have no need to include removing the gas tube, as I'm guessing that its a absolute PITA to perform anyway...

dusty
The M16A2 did not replace the M16A1 until 1986 so you could not have had the M16A2 in 1975.From 1969 -1986 the M16A1 was the Issue Rifle you also could have have been issue the XM-16E1 during basic training at FT.Jackson ,SC in 1975.because many old rifles were cannibalized and fitted with A1 parts by the Army Depot for BCT Posts .

I believe that practice in the Army was a carryover from Vietnam, when they initially used bad ammo (and possibly non-stainless gas tubes).

Shouldn’t be necessary any more.
Most of the problems were Dirty improperly cleaned rifles were with gas carriers key coming loose staking of the two bolts on top of the gas keys solved cycling problems. BAD AMMO the 1:2 twist caused accuracy problems .The chrome bolts we changed out in the M-16A1 .now a 1:7 twist has been in use with the M16A1 & M16A2.

Back