testtest

Advice on removing the Gas Tube from my new Saint Victor .308 w/10.3" barrel

The XM16E1 was first adopted in 1962 for special purpose use by Army special forces, airborne, and airmobile troops with the M14 remaining the standard issue rifle of the infantry.
In 1964, the M16 entered US military service and the following year was deployed for jungle warfare operations during the Vietnam War. In 1969, the M16A1 replaced the M14 rifle to become the US military's standard service rifle. In 1969, the M16A1 replaced the M14 rifle to become the US military's standard service rifle. The M16A1 improvements include a bolt-assist, chrome-plated bore and a 30-round magazine. In 1983, the US Marine Corps adopted the M16A2 rifle and the US Army adopted it in 1986.

Barrel length: 20 in (508 mm
1:7 twist
Maximum firing range: 3,600 m (3,937 yd) Effective firing range: 550 m (601 yd) (point target); 800 m (875 yd) (area target) Caliber: 5.56 mm
The biggest functional difference though is that the A2 has a rear sight that's adjustable for both windage and elevation, and both have knurled wheels. The FCG has SAFE/SEMI/BURST settings. They also had the case deflector, tapered delta ring, and a thicker barrel forward of the handguards.The original M16 rifle was a 5.56mm automatic rifle with a 20-round magazine. ... The M16A2 fires the improved 5.56×45mm NATO (M855/SS109) cartridge and has a newer adjustable rear sight, case deflector, heavy barrel, improved handguard, pistol grip and buttstock, as well as a semi-auto and three-round burst fire selector.

I appreciate all the good advice regarding the removal of the gas tube, and its much appreciated. So-far I've only function-tested the weapon with several different brands of ammo, and its runs flawlessly. My initial concern with removing the gas tube was due to the process that we practised in cleaning our M-16A2's back in 1975, while training in the military at Ft. Jackson, S.C..

We experienced a variety of issue's with their gas tubes, and removing them was a necessary step on occasion. Back in the 90's I also owned an Colt AR-15, but don't remember ever needing to break it down so far as to include removing its gas tube either.

I'm confident following the advice of those of you with more experience, and won't concern myself with removing the gas tube until I can confirm it being the cause of a malfunction. Thanks again to each of those who replied to my post as I'm content now knowing that I have no need to include removing the gas tube, as I'm guessing that its a absolute PITA to perform anyway...

dusty
The unit Armorer was not even allowed to take the gas tube out of the rifle it had to go to the Depot level maintenance unit the 45Bravo was allowed to remove it not the troop issued the rifle.It was not the troops level of maintenance.

The M16A2 did not replace the M16A1 until 1986 so you could not have had the M16A2 in 1975.From 1969 -1986 the M16A1 was the Issue Rifle you also could have have been issue the XM-16E1 during basic training at FT.Jackson ,SC in 1975.because many old rifles were cannibalized and fitted with A1 parts by the Army Depot for BCT Posts .
The M16A2 did not replace the M16A1 until 1986 so you could not have had the M16A2 in 1975.From 1969 -1986 the M16A1 was the Issue Rifle you also could have have been issue the XM-16E1 during basic training at FT.Jackson ,SC in 1975.because many old rifles were cannibalized and fitted with A1 parts by the Army Depot for BCT Posts .
You're absolutely right, as we were using the M16A-1 (three-sided handguard) and not the A-2. And it was during the Vietnam era as I passed through during January-March of '75'.

Back