testtest

Almost anyone can buy a new vehicle... keeping an older vehicle on the road is another matter.

I made the statement that I don't like any vehicle made after 2013, and that's because they are overloaded with electronic tech & gadgetry that few know how to work on or repair. I do like modern convenience & comfort features, but I also like to keep it simple.

My 2007 Toyota Tundra was purchased (rescued) cheap in 2017 when it already had 270,000 undocumented miles on it that were obviously hard miles, it's a rare truck that I bought intending to make it a sport truck for the street that could double as a work truck whenever my 2002 Tundra work truck required repairs & maintenance.

rcsbproduction.jpg

Earlier this year the dash in the '07 lit up like a Christmas tree, and the head gasket eventually failed in the driveway during a cold start up at 315,000 miles. My Toyota master diagnostic mechanic pulled the 5.7L 3UR-FE engine to replace the head gasket and quickly discovered cylinder wall scoring. Both problems were the direct result of poor maintenance habit by one or all three of the previous owners. The engine had been run hard while low on oil and probably not changing it every 5k, and the cooling system had not been flushed every 5 years or 50k. I found a low mileage (<80k) replacement engine that I bought from the original owner, my mechanic tore it down for inspection... he replaced the head gaskets, a lot of timing chain related components, sealed everything up and installed it in my truck with a new starter, alternator and cooling system.

1312.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_1511.JPG

It's not a show truck, but the old truck is good another 300k and more, and my grand total invested including all repairs and modifications made prior to the head gasket failure remains below it's original MSRP. It makes about 400 horsepower, it can hit 60 mph in 6 seconds, reach an unrestricted triple digit top speed in a hurry and it's paid for.

IMG_2422.1.JPG

Yes I could have gone out and spent a bundle on a new shiny Toyota truck, but it's more satisfying to me to keep a special vehicle that I know on the road than it would be to dispose of it and buy something new.

What are your thoughts about buying new vs. rehabbing old or not so old vehicles?

Last edited:
I’d love to have my old man’s 78 Toyota 4x4. It’s long gone and I have no idea where it ended up. Finding one that’s been well taken care and can been driven daily is the challenge.
From my experiences they have either been ridin hard and hung up wet or in hidden in a show room.
Thats a nice Tundra you have there.
In hindsight I should have gone with the Tundra, it’s not much more expensive and get about the same gas mileage with the added towing capability of a V8.

Changing the oil & filter and flushing the coolant is of the utmost importance.

This video came out days after repairs were made to my truck, the head gasket in the original engine failed in cylinder #7, and the head gasket in the replacement engine showed signs of future failure in #5 or #7 ... the replacement engine did have a super charger on it for about 20k, and forced induction is never a good thing for a gasoline engine that you want to last a very long time. The core value on old engine netted me $1k, and it will be rebuilt by a company that specializes in heavy duty supercharged racing versions of these engines.

I believe the issue with all newer cars will be a failure of the electronics. After a vehicle gets 15 or more years old some electronic box the size of a pack of cigarettes will croak-no replacements will be available and that will “total” the vehicle. I’m betting those from the 50’s and 60’s will be running long after the 20’s versions have been scrapped.

I admit, in the winter I drive a 2013 Honda Civic Si we got new for my wife. Couple of years back it hit 100,000 so she got the new car and I still drive the cast off. With 201 naturally aspirated horsepower, a limited slip diff and a six speed manual transmission it is not a chore at all! And she is a real snow cat to boot. I will probably drive that for the next ten years easy....

We keep our cars and trucks for s long time had my ford f150 for over 20 years. Finally gifted to my son he still drives it . It’s true keeping old vehicles can cost a little but if you like I guess it worth it. Here is a pic of the old truck

Attachments

• IMG_1389.jpeg
    IMG_1389.jpeg
    794.6 KB · Views: 6
We had a 2005 Honda Civic that gave us great service. It had 80000 miles on it but after 19 years the engine was great but everything else was falling apart and didn't want to put more money into it. Traded it for a Chevrolet Equinox and have never looked back and the wife is very happy with it.

No way in he-ll I am going to spend $40k to $60K on a new truck. When the motor in mine goes, I will swap it out for the Hemi. Yes, new computer, wiring, etc. But that will be far less than a new truck. Or swap it out for the 4.7 H.O.
That's the way I approached the situation, and I ended up saving myself more than $45k doing what I did instead of buying something new or newer.

Back