testtest

Ammo prices

Based on my contacts the market as slowed a bit, especially due to the traditional summer slow-down.

Locally some prices are down for 9mm's etc. but hunting ammo hasn't come down except for sales in some big box stores.

As HGs says some big online sources like SGA have good deals while others don't do as much as SGA.

when the scamdemic hit, and a case of 9mm at my LGS went from $129 per case, to limited boxes per customer, i sought out the many ammo online retailers.

seeing "some" prices as high as $900 per case...???

no way Jose`.

as it stands now, cases of 9mm are over $200 online, so i negate purchasing, when i still have to factor in my state sales taxes.

i'll buy "piece meal" at the larger LGS here, and keep things "local".

i had already deleted the many online ammo retailers from my search list.

when the scamdemic hit, and a case of 9mm at my LGS went from $129 per case, to limited boxes per customer, i sought out the many ammo online retailers.

seeing "some" prices as high as $900 per case...???

no way Jose`.

as it stands now, cases of 9mm are over $200 online, so i negate purchasing, when i still have to factor in my state sales taxes.

i'll buy "piece meal" at the larger LGS here, and keep things "local".

i had already deleted the many online ammo retailers from my search list.
$129/case? Haven’t seen prices like that since 2008. Even Brown Bear was $150+/case in 2019.

Think you need to recheck your memory.

$129/case? Haven’t seen prices like that since 2008. Even Brown Bear was $150+/case in 2019.

Think you need to recheck your memory.
january/february of 2020........when i started, that was the price, and i bought 2 cases worth.

then come about a few months later, the covid scandemic hit, then George Floyd got murdered, and the rioting, and everyone ran to the gun stores for guns and ammo.

price rose from $129 per case to $139, $150, and to the moon.....all in very short time.

my LGS is in a consortium of other large buyers, that's how the pricing was so low.

right now.>??

he's sitting on like $4 million dollars worth of ammo, cuz he could not cancel his last order, otherwise be shunned for future sales from them.

Back in 1978 hardly anyone bought 9mm guns or ammo :) maybe someone with a Luger pistol.
I remember having a safe with way too many S&W model 39 and 59 pistols that didn't sell at all in the early 80s. :)

I wonder what the production of 9mm ammo was back in 1978 compared to now.
It's probably at least 10-20 times today what it was in 1978 :)

38 Special on the other hand has increased in Price and decreased in popularity.
38 special that was $9.95 in 1978 is closer to $25-30 today.

I know I’m gonna get poo poo’d here, but I’ve purchased 17K rounds in less than 2 years from Ammunition planet, 124gr 9mm reloads. Out of all those rounds, I’ve had 5-6 bad rounds that didn’t go bang, only one round that had a “lip” on the casing which I found before it went into a mag.
Their customer service is outstanding. I had one run of 1K that had 2-3 bad rounds, emailed them on a Sunday…they replied back and gave me a credit.
Order on a weekend, it’s at my front door Thursday.
$245 all in, box of 1000 to my door via UPS. Well packaged.

Here’s the rough math.. Yes, I’ve purchased new from SG Ammo a time or two, great customer service and pricing.
Over the course of 17K rounds… I’ve got roughly 2K more rounds for free rather than pay “a little more” for new.

Their ammo has shot clean and accurate in over 15 pistols I’ve tried them in, my own and friends at the range.
My personal preference is 124GR as a happy medium between 115 and 147. It’s what I train with, what I shoot in my SD magazines…

Once I get down to 2-3 bags of 100 rounds from them, I order up some more.

I know I’m gonna get poo poo’d here, but I’ve purchased 17K rounds in less than 2 years from Ammunition planet, 124gr 9mm reloads. Out of all those rounds, I’ve had 5-6 bad rounds that didn’t go bang, only one round that had a “lip” on the casing which I found before it went into a mag.
Their customer service is outstanding. I had one run of 1K that had 2-3 bad rounds, emailed them on a Sunday…they replied back and gave me a credit.

Here’s the rough math.. Yes, I’ve purchased new from SG Ammo a time or two, great customer service and pricing.
Over the course of 17K rounds… I’ve got roughly 2K more rounds for free rather than pay “a little more” for new.

Their ammo has shot clean and accurate in over 15 pistols I’ve tried them in, my own and friends at the range.
My personal preference is 124GR as a happy medium between 115 and 147. It’s what I train with, what I shoot in my SD magazines…

Hmm. You're paying $245/1000 for reloads when you can buy Blazer, S&B, Magtech, Winchester and many other "Premium" brands for between $249 and $269/1000.

Lots of people reload for their semi auto handguns and if you were reloading your own I could at least understand it and you would actually be realizing a significant savings, but saving $10-$20 per 1000 on ammo someone else reloaded makes zero sense to me.

I may be biased but I will say this. Twice I tried reloads out of Semi auto pistols. The first time resulted in a squib load stuck in the barrel of my Makarov .380 and the second time resulted in a live round stuck in the chamber of my Walther Q5 which required tools and patience just to get the slide back off the gun. And those are literally the only ammo malfunctions I have ever had in forty years of shooting and hundreds of thousands of rounds. And I am well beyond a casual shooter. I'll pay the extra ten bucks.

Hmm. You're paying $245/1000 for reloads when you can buy Blazer, S&B, Magtech, Winchester and many other "Premium" brands for between $249 and $269/1000.

Lots of people reload for their semi auto handguns and if you were reloading your own I could at least understand it and you would actually be realizing a significant savings, but saving $10-$20 per 1000 on ammo someone else reloaded makes zero sense to me.

I may be biased but I will say this. Twice I tried reloads out of Semi auto pistols. The first time resulted in a squib load stuck in the barrel of my Makarov .380 and the second time resulted in a live round stuck in the chamber of my Walther Q5 which required tools and patience just to get the slide back off the gun. And those are literally the only ammo malfunctions I have ever had in forty years of shooting and hundreds of thousands of rounds. And I am well beyond a casual shooter. I'll pay the extra ten bucks.
yeah, in a "pinch" if i am low on my stock of my reloads, and i just want to buy a box or two of reloaded ammo, the mom/pop store has them cheap enough.

but since i reload my own, i'll use up mine, and new ammo i have on hand.

i too would rather buy new ammo in bulk

price difference from new to reloaded makes no sense to buy bulk reloads.

yeah, in a "pinch" if i am low on my stock of my reloads, and i just want to buy a box or two of reloaded ammo, the mom/pop store has them cheap enough.

but since i reload my own, i'll use up mine, and new ammo i have on hand.

i too would rather buy new ammo in bulk

price difference from new to reloaded makes no sense to buy bulk reloads.
It's one thing to shoot shells YOU reloaded. Under no circumstances would I ever shoot something someone else reloaded. Especially some random dude in a warehouse or a garage somewhere.

Back