testtest

Ammo prices

It's one thing to shoot shells YOU reloaded. Under no circumstances would I ever shoot something someone else reloaded. Especially some random dude in a warehouse or a garage somewhere.
the late owner, and owners son, are licensed/permitted to reload all the ammo they sell. (i think a type 6 FFL..??)

basically a "factory" in the basement of the store.

since the 1980's i believe

Hmm. You're paying $245/1000 for reloads when you can buy Blazer, S&B, Magtech, Winchester and many other "Premium" brands for between $249 and $269/1000.

Lots of people reload for their semi auto handguns and if you were reloading your own I could at least understand it and you would actually be realizing a significant savings, but saving $10-$20 per 1000 on ammo someone else reloaded makes zero sense to me.

I may be biased but I will say this. Twice I tried reloads out of Semi auto pistols. The first time resulted in a squib load stuck in the barrel of my Makarov .380 and the second time resulted in a live round stuck in the chamber of my Walther Q5 which required tools and patience just to get the slide back off the gun. And those are literally the only ammo malfunctions I have ever had in forty years of shooting and hundreds of thousands of rounds. And I am well beyond a casual shooter. I'll pay the extra ten bucks.
A few things. Let’s not call Winchester “premium”…lol.
Second, re-read my whole post. 17K of ammo in a little less than 2 years. 5-6 bad rounds.
No squibs.
You all talk about reloading your own, great. What’s the initial start up cost for that equipment?
And…time.. you may have time to sit down and knock out rounds, I don’t.
Lastly… can you show me these premium brands in that price ranged, shipped and including tax, in 124gr?
I see Seller and Beloit, who I also like, for 259 plus tax from SGAmmo.
again, doing the math of 17K rounds purchased vs. buying new, I’ve shot over 2K rounds for free.
Bob, you may have had issues with reloads. I think my statements clearly state I have not.
You‘ve tried reloads twice.. I’ve got well over 17K rounds in my experience…that’s only from one manufaturer over the past 2 years. Over the past 15 I’ve got well over 30K rounds.
I understand your experience and your bias, so you also understand mine. :)

Funny… we often all say “Save your money and buy more ammo for practice”.. which, is exactly what I’ve been doing!

I’ll also say this, since getting back into target/range pistols, I started my ammo quest off AmmoSeek, in which I read many, many reviews of sellers. Look up Ammunition planet feedback…

It's one thing to shoot shells YOU reloaded. Under no circumstances would I ever shoot something someone else reloaded. Especially some random dude in a warehouse or a garage somewhere.
Major commercial reloaders are really no different than a manufacturer…some are good, some are not.

I used to buy Black Hills reloads back when they still made them…top notch stuff.

Second, re-read my whole post. 17K of ammo in a little less than 2 years. 5-6 bad rounds.
No squibs.
You all talk about reloading your own, great. What’s the initial start up cost for that equipment?
Lastly… can you show me these premium brands in that price ranged, shipped and including tax, in 124gr?
again, doing the math of 17K rounds purchased vs. buying new, I’ve shot over 2K rounds for free.
Bob, you may have had issues with reloads. I think my statements clearly state I have not.
You‘ve tried reloads twice.. I’ve got well over 17K rounds in my experience…that’s only from one manufaturer over the past 2 years. Over the past 15 I’ve got well over 30K rounds.

Funny… we often all say “Save your money and buy more ammo for practice”.. which, is exactly what I’ve been doing!

I’ll also say this, since getting back into target/range pistols, I started my ammo quest off AmmoSeek, in which I read many, many reviews of sellers. Look up Ammunition planet feedback…
i can "chime in" with my start up costs.....

and this is just start up, not the expansion(s) i have been doing in just this past year alone, cuz i started reloading in October of '22

i bought a new Lee pro-4000, with dies (it was a sale) and then the extras like measuring scales and caliper, and then at nearly the same time, i bought an entire reloading room from a range RSO, that included a NEW Dillon 550c never used, still in box......

all that (both presses and equipment, and components and extras), cost me like $800..........

now as i said, i have been "expanding" my personal reloading room over time, for an outlay of about an additional $700.

so, at the very least, $1,500 but i will " add" maybe $300 more for incidentals, so let's make it $1,800.

i have produced thus far.......a near total of.............

4800 rounds, which includes 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt LC and .38 special

incredibly small peanuts compared to many others here, and again, i am new at this reloading gig, going into my 2nd year in October.

now, i ain't no mathematician, but i spent a week at the Hampton Inn, in Louisville, KY, so i ain't gonna figure out my cost ratio...someone else can do that for me.

i do not reload every day, or weekly or even monthly...

i reload when my stock of reloaded 45 ACP gets below my comfort level of 2,000 rounds

i buy NEW 45 ACP, when my stock level dips below 2,000 rounds.

in fact, the past maybe 3 weeks, i reloaded ammo, if for no reason other than we had many rainy days, and i was bored.

No thank you. That's nearly as dreadful as skydiving with a 'chute packed by God only knows who.
1693749981799.png

1693750023635.png

I was using about 21,000 pistol rounds per year of various caliber in my firearms training programs pre-covid. I bought my ammo from Georgia Arms in bulk. They manufactured new and remanufactured ammo in their plant near Atlanta. I think I was paying about $190 per thousand, shipped, for 9mm and about $225 for .45.
Over an 8 year period I had one round fail to fire and zero squibs from them. For more than a year post covid I could not get any ammo from them because they could not get components. I reached out to them recently and learned they are not shipping right now due to a fire in their shipping area. The best price I can find locally for factory .45acp is about $25 for a box of 50. I think we have been taken advantage of on ammo prices these past few years.

No squibs.

Winchester White Box I have heard people complaining about, and full disclosure I haven't bought any in a couple years now, BUT, I shot tens of thousands of them, primarily in .45 ACP over the years with zero issues. And WWB isn't Winchester's premium line. No one's complaining about their top tier stuff. And Lake City ? Come on man, that's about as good as it gets for 5.56. Good enough for the military.

All the ammo I buy online is free shipping. I have used Ammoseek to find vendors, but lately I just skip the screwing around and go to SG Ammo. They have several flavors of 9MM in that price range, all with free shipping. They're also selling Lake City M855 for well under $400 right now.

Hans brought up a good point with regards to major commercial reloaders. Black Hills and those kinds of outfits. They are however about 5% of the market in commercial remanufactured ammo. Most of the stuff people are buying is loaded by some Cletus in a steel building in Kentucky or something.

I admitted immediately I was biased due to my own experience and I make no claims on yours. For me personally, $20/1000 is not a big enough savings to justify buying some stuff I never heard of or any remanufactured ammo for semi auto use. Start up costs for reloading are probably a lot cheaper than you think, although there are guys like @Old_Me who have zero restraint who's start up costs rival what I spent on vintage razors in the last decade :ROFLMAO:

I also pointed out that there are a lot of guys here who do shoot reloads in their SA pistols and don't seem to have problems. Hell, that's exactly what made me try the second time a year or so ago. Both times I did it resulted in a bunch of BS. You don't have to kick me in the balls 3 times before I figure it out. I may be an idiot but I'm not a moron. :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Start up costs for reloading are probably a lot cheaper than you think, although there are guys like @Old_Me who have zero restraint who's start up costs rival what I spent on vintage razors in the last decade :ROFLMAO:
well...i would actually say i have no restraints..

cuz if'n i didn't, i had bought this, for a mere (starting price of) $15,000

1693769353695.png

instead of the Dillon, which i was in the right place, at the right time kinda deal then...

my wife be like:......."you realize how many Bingo games i gotta go to, to win that much money..??"

i be like, "well, i'll miss you"

Last edited:
well...i would actually say i have no restraints..

cuz if'n i didn't, i had bought this, for a mere (starting price of) $15,000

View attachment 43171

instead of the Dillon, which i was in the right place, at the right time kinda deal then...

my wife be like:......."you realize how many Bingo games i gotta go to, to win that much money..??"

i be like, "well, i'll miss you"
meant to say......."I wouldn't actually say, i have no restraints"

carry on.

my dillion square deal has met my needs perfectly
it has run over 20k rounds of 9, 45 and 380
i think back when i bought it in 08 , total for all the stuff and caliber change stuff and extra gear was under 1k
i also bought tons of primers and powder when it was 26 a box of 1k for primers
i will need more before long and 96 for a 1k is OMG high

rifle rounds all factory stuff except for a few i got from a friend of a friend and those didnt turn out well and got trashed
my ar10 is only factory rounds ..i spoil it

as far as time to reload..i spend about 4 hrs and can run several hundred rounds easy.
its quality relax time, just me and the machine

FYI.. I’ve had good luck purchasing from Sportsman Fufillment, they currently have CCI Blazer 115 and 124 fro 11.49 a box.
Their shipping is very reasonable As well…never had an issue with CCI Blazer ammo, I just don‘t think it’s worth the extra 3-4 bucks a box normal price.

FYI.. I’ve had good luck purchasing from Sportsman Fufillment, they currently have CCI Blazer 115 and 124 fro 11.49 a box.
Their shipping is very reasonable As well…never had an issue with CCI Blazer ammo, I just don‘t think it’s worth the extra 3-4 bucks a box normal price.
Huh? Blazer is about as cheap as it gets. Unless you’re buying Turkish ammo.

I haven’t paid more than $13/ box for 124 gr. Blazer Brass in a couple years now. What ammo are you buying that’s $3-$4 a box cheaper than that ?

Back when Trump was president I was buying 500rds of 9mm for $89, .45acp for $130. 500rds of 308 for $290, all brass cased none steel.
Pre-covid
Several yrs before that 1000rds of steel cased .223 of Russian was $200. I bought 6 cases.

Don't make me mention the Norinco ammo I was buying by the case when they could import ammo, gosh it was give away prices.

The good ol'days.

Huh? Blazer is about as cheap as it gets. Unless you’re buying Turkish ammo.

I haven’t paid more than $13/ box for 124 gr. Blazer Brass in a couple years now. What ammo are you buying that’s $3-$4 a box cheaper than that ?
Splitting hairs…. I typically see 50 round boxes from 13.49 to 14.99. Yes, I also know you can search online and get boxes for 13. You can also vary in price for shipping between 20 and 80 bucks. I’ve seen lots of retailers lure you in with a cheap per round price, then jack the shipping way up.

Point being, 11.49 a box is a good price and I’ve never had issues with Blazer when my reloader was out of stock.

Back