testtest

Ammo Switch

southtex

Professional
Founding Member
I have changed all 9/45 carry ammo to Federal HST. Used to use 9mm Barnes TAC 115gr now HST 147gr...45 Winchester Ranger T 230gr now 230gr HST. Felt like the overall ballistics of the HST bullets might be a little better. If I find I don't like the 147gr in my smaller 9's I will switch to HST 124gr. Hope this ends up being a wise switch.

I know when I was carrying 9MM as duty weapon that FBI recommended the 147 gr JHP for duty ammo. Still carry that when I carry my Sig 226. Carry Nosler Match JHP 124 gr in my Sccy for EDC. Federal has always produced good ammo.

HST’s are great bullets. I like them the XTP’s and the Gold Dots. I currently carry the Underwood. It Is very accurate and I am really pleased with the performance. As you know, shoot what functions, what gives you the best accuracy and the best performance and that can change across different platforms of firearms.

Back when I still had my Kel-Tec PF 9 I carried the 147 gr XTP. I found the narrow frame PF9 to not be as snappy with the heavier bullet compared to the 115 gr practice ammo or any of the 124 gr that I tried.

I now carry the Hornady XTP in my .380 and in my .45 but am planning on switching to the HSTs in the .45.

I
HST’s are great bullets. I like them the XTP’s and the Gold Dots. I currently carry the Underwood. It Is very accurate and I am really pleased with the performance. As you know, shoot what functions, what gives you the best accuracy and the best performance and that can change across different platforms of firearms.
f you reload Speer has HST data. Do a search for Federal load data and it routes you to Speer site. Data is limited.

I have changed all 9/45 carry ammo to Federal HST. Used to use 9mm Barnes TAC 115gr now HST 147gr...45 Winchester Ranger T 230gr now 230gr HST. Felt like the overall ballistics of the HST bullets might be a little better. If I find I don't like the 147gr in my smaller 9's I will switch to HST 124gr. Hope this ends up being a wise switch.
I'm with you southtex. I've been using Hornady's Critical Duty/Defense, but bought 200 rounds of Federal HST 147gr on sale from Ammunition Depot (with a small range bag to boot). I've read Federal HST was rated similar to the Hornady's, so I figured I'd give it a try.

I’d rate HST as a much better round than Hornady CDef, and better than CDuty in everything but extreme barrier penetration (eg, windshield glass). And if you are running a shorter barreled pistol (Under 4”) CDuty has known issues with under expansion, leading to over penetration.
I run the 147gr HST in most of my 9mm’s, with the only major exception being my USP’s...they get Underwood 124+P Gold Dots.
My .45’s mainly get 230gr HST, with the exception of my Baer 1911–that gets 230gr Golden Sabre—it gets outstanding accuracy with that load.

I’d rate HST as a much better round than Hornady CDef, and better than CDuty in everything but extreme barrier penetration (eg, windshield glass). And if you are running a shorter barreled pistol (Under 4”) CDuty has known issues with under expansion, leading to over penetration.
I run the 147gr HST in most of my 9mm’s, with the only major exception being my USP’s...they get Underwood 124+P Gold Dots.
My .45’s mainly get 230gr HST, with the exception of my Baer 1911–that gets 230gr Golden Sabre—it gets outstanding accuracy with that load.
Thanks Hans, that's great info. I'll have to look into this for my 45's as well (currently also Hornady's Cdef & Cduty).

Thanks Hans, that's great info. I'll have to look into this for my 45's as well (currently also Hornady's Cdef & Cduty).

If you want a really good source on round performance (mainly out of shorter barrels)—this site has some pretty solid information...

I forget now which one, but one of my new-ish plastic guns didn’t like feeding the Hornady CD. I think it was my M2.0 .45 Shield. The HST feeds perfectly in all my pistols. In un-scientific back yard ballistic testing the 230gr. HST performed admirably. That is to say 7 rounds fired from 15’ cut a treated 4x4 in half. Probably would have taken fewer if I was a better shot.

I agree. Just be sure to run several mags of whatever you switch to through it at the range to insure reliability before trusting it with your life.
Absolutely. I try to run 100 rounds through whatever I intend to carry it in. I would put through more in it wasn't so expensive. I also make sure it is accurate for me, or more to the point, I am accurate with it.

Last edited:
I forget now which one, but one of my new-ish plastic guns didn’t like feeding the Hornady CD. I think it was my M2.0 .45 Shield. The HST feeds perfectly in all my pistols. In un-scientific back yard ballistic testing the 230gr. HST performed admirably. That is to say 7 rounds fired from 15’ cut a treated 4x4 in half. Probably would have taken fewer if I was a better shot.
Uh Oh, Hornady CD is currently what's in use for my EDC M&P PC 45 Shield. Although it's not the new 2.0 version, it isn't that old. At the range I usually fill other 45 shield mags with cheap range ammo to shoot. I'm really not sure if I ever fired it with the Hornady's ammo (I know, I know, that I should). If I did, I don't recall a problem, but I wouldn't have used that many rounds, so this is great information to know Bassbob, thanks.

The Kel-Tec PF9 I have spoken of in other threads had a problem with Remington Golden Sabers . It wouldn't feed them but not because they were hanging on the feed ramp. It would feed 2 then a couple would be nose down in the mag. Quick tap on my boot and reinsert mag. I would get to fire 2 more rounds and again the same thing would happen. I had 5 mags for it at the time and every mag did the same thing.

They would feed any other ammo I put through it but not the golden sabers. I first thought maybe the hole in the front part of the magazines was causing it so I disassembled them and ran a q-tip across each hole. No snagging so that wasn't the problem.

Only thing I could think of after that was maybe because of the way the hollow point of the Golden Sabers are designed the bullet nose was actually catching on that front hole and causing the problem. No matter what it was I wasn't going to try to make them work when so many other options were out there.

Back