testtest

Ammo Switch

Uh Oh, Hornady CD is currently what's in use for my EDC M&P PC 45 Shield. Although it's not the new 2.0 version, it isn't that old. At the range I usually fill other 45 shield mags with cheap range ammo to shoot. I'm really not sure if I ever fired it with the Hornady's ammo (I know, I know, that I should). If I did, I don't recall a problem, but I wouldn't have used that many rounds, so this is great information to know Bassbob, thanks.
I always run a box ( or at least a couple full mags) of anything through a carry gun before I carry with it. The time to find out your gun doesn’t like it is at the range.

If you want a really good source on round performance (mainly out of shorter barrels)—this site has some pretty solid information...
Yes, this is very good information. I get emails of Chris's blog from Lucky Gunner fairly regularly. I saw him do something similar with "mouse" gun ammo gel testing, which was also very interesting (although I currently don't own these types of pocket carry firearms). The one you linked, I don't think I ever saw, as it was date backed in 2015 before I started getting blog emails from Lucky Gunner (I guess I didn't buy enough ammo up to that point to qualify for said emails :(). So again, thanks for the link, and I can go through their archives to retrieve more info as he stated in the video.

Speaking of ammo........this afternoon I was switching pistol shells (Alien Gear) from the XDS to carry the XD Mod2, and went to load a magazine and discovered that I only had 5 rounds of self-defense ammo. Had forgotten I shot a bit of ut at the last range day. So.......the grandson and I hopped in the truck and headed to the local Rural King to remedy the problem. Go to the store and headed to the firearm dept. The regular ammo shelves were practically empty. I picked-up four 50-round bxs of Remington UMC 9mm 115 grain (leaving 4 on the shelf), the last two 20-round bxs of American Eagle 5.56 55 grain, and also got two 100-round bxs of 22lr for the grandson's 10/22. A few other people in there ahead of me already had ammo in their carts/hand baskets, and one person was in the process of a pistol purchase.

Anyway, paid for my purchase, got in the truck, headed down the street, and realized I'd completely forgotten to get the self-defense ammo I initially went there to get. I guess the sight of seeing those almost bare shelves shook me a bit. 🙄

Speaking of ammo........this afternoon I was switching pistol shells (Alien Gear) from the XDS to carry the XD Mod2, and went to load a magazine and discovered that I only had 5 rounds of self-defense ammo. Had forgotten I shot a bit of ut at the last range day. So.......the grandson and I hopped in the truck and headed to the local Rural King to remedy the problem. Go to the store and headed to the firearm dept. The regular ammo shelves were practically empty. I picked-up four 50-round bxs of Remington UMC 9mm 115 grain (leaving 4 on the shelf), the last two 20-round bxs of American Eagle 5.56 55 grain, and also got two 100-round bxs of 22lr for the grandson's 10/22. A few other people in there ahead of me already had ammo in their carts/hand baskets, and one person was in the process of a pistol purchase.

Anyway, paid for my purchase, got in the truck, headed down the street, and realized I'd completely forgotten to get the self-defense ammo I initially went there to get. I guess the sight of seeing those almost bare shelves shook me a bit. 🙄
I know the feeling Scott. (y)

Uh Oh, Hornady CD is currently what's in use for my EDC M&P PC 45 Shield. Although it's not the new 2.0 version, it isn't that old. At the range I usually fill other 45 shield mags with cheap range ammo to shoot. I'm really not sure if I ever fired it with the Hornady's ammo (I know, I know, that I should). If I did, I don't recall a problem, but I wouldn't have used that many rounds, so this is great information to know Bassbob, thanks.

Absolutely, you should.

I won’t carry a handgun without vetted ammo in it; I’d rather carry ball that I know functions than the latest, greatest JHP that I have no idea will feed reliably, how it shoots vis a vis accuracy & control...

I’ll usually run a couple of mags worth out of every mag I’m going to use for carry, anywhere from 40-100 rounds.

In revolvers, I’ll run 2-3 cylinders worth to see how the accuracy is, and if it’s controllable.

ETA:

I’ll also run my carry mags a few times a year, just to keep the ammo fresh, and to make sure that it still runs properly. I usually buy defensive ammo in case lots, and will also run a couple mags worth when I get into a new case, in case there’s a difference in the new ammo...may be in the overkill side, but it gives me peace of mind.

Absolutely, you should.

I won’t carry a handgun without vetted ammo in it; I’d rather carry ball that I know functions than the latest, greatest JHP that I have no idea will feed reliably, how it shoots vis a vis accuracy & control...

I’ll usually run a couple of mags worth out of every mag I’m going to use for carry, anywhere from 40-100 rounds.

In revolvers, I’ll run 2-3 cylinders worth to see how the accuracy is, and if it’s controllable.

ETA:

I’ll also run my carry mags a few times a year, just to keep the ammo fresh, and to make sure that it still runs properly. I usually buy defensive ammo in case lots, and will also run a couple mags worth when I get into a new case, in case there’s a difference in the new ammo...may be in the overkill side, but it gives me peace of mind.
I’m hearing you (and others) and agree I need to fire several rounds to ensure it performs. I just bought the Federal HST in bulk in 9mm, and soon will follow with my other calibers 40,45,10mm. Bulks the way to go. I appreciate the input Hans.

I carry Hornady Critical Defense 9mm 115 grain in my XD-S right now and it cycles perfectly. I chose this ammo because of the marketing claim that it performs well through clothing due to the polymer tip insert. It is also designed for short barreled handguns.

Should I really think about switching to HST?

I carry Hornady Critical Defense 9mm 115 grain in my XD-S right now and it cycles perfectly. I chose this ammo because of the marketing claim that it performs well through clothing due to the polymer tip insert. It is also designed for short barreled handguns.

Should I really think about switching to HST?
Use whatever works for you and what you feel comfortable with.

I have changed all 9/45 carry ammo to Federal HST. Used to use 9mm Barnes TAC 115gr now HST 147gr...45 Winchester Ranger T 230gr now 230gr HST. Felt like the overall ballistics of the HST bullets might be a little better. If I find I don't like the 147gr in my smaller 9's I will switch to HST 124gr. Hope this ends up being a wise switch.
In my XDE .45 I carry the Barnes TAC X PD +P and I love them. In my EDC XDM 9MM 4.5 " I carry the Hornady Critical Duty 135-grain +P and find that to be a good combo. However in my Ruger PC 9 9MM Rifle, I carry two 30 round mags loaded with the Federal 147 grain HST +P and I have killed several Feral Wild Hogs with them out to 175 yards and a few coyotes and even one small Deer, the HST is a good hunting round in a pistol caliber carbine. Next year when I change out and fire all of my carry ammo I will strickly have HST in all my 9 mm firearms.Federal HST 9mm 147 gr JHP SIM-TEST w/Denim , Federal HST 9mm +P 147 gr JHP Ammo Test

In my XDE .45 I carry the Barnes TAC X PD +P and I love them. In my EDC XDM 9MM 4.5 " I carry the Hornady Critical Duty 135-grain +P and find that to be a good combo. However in my Ruger PC 9 9MM Rifle, I carry two 30 round mags loaded with the Federal 147 grain HST +P and I have killed several Feral Wild Hogs with them out to 175 yards and a few coyotes and even one small Deer, the HST is a good hunting round in a pistol caliber carbine. Next year when I change out and fire all of my carry ammo I will strickly have HST in all my 9 mm firearms.Federal HST 9mm 147 gr JHP SIM-TEST w/Denim , Federal HST 9mm +P 147 gr JHP Ammo Test

TNoutdoors does good work in his testing. Thank you for your service. (y)

My XDe (9mm) has really liked the HST 147gr, the PPS (9mm M2) wasn't as good BUT I found a box of Black Hills 115gr +p on a shelf in the safe that shot real well. The HST 230gr shot well in all 45's TRP, Shield, RO compact. I will next shoot my 9mm Professional with the HST's and anticipate no issues.

Back