testtest

Are Guns Bad Investments?

I have several old guns that I inherited. From my dad, a customized JC Higgins 30-06 that dates to the mid 60's (genuine Swedish Mauser action). A smith worked it over from the ground up and it is a tack driving rifle. From my grandfather, I inherited a Smith & Wesson model 1905 in 38 special that dates to around 1920. He was "captain of the guard" at a port in Portland Or. during the WW II. He bought it used and carried it while on duty. Finally, an "Eclipse" shotgun from 1890's handed down by my great grandfather. Eclipse Gun Company is a name found on Belgium manufactured double barrels from around the turn of the century until about the time of WWI. The actual manufacturer was Henri Pieper. It is a double with Damascus barrels so I would never shoot modern loading in this gun.
None of these will ever be worth much, but their sentimental value is great to me. I never bought a firearm for the collector's value. I bought what I would shoot, although I did windup with a couple that have appreciated... some (not a lot but some). I don't ever have intentions of selling them and will most likely hand them down to my son and daughter (as long as the gun control laws permit). My days on the range are winding down now, but some of my best memories are the days spent there with family and friends. I think that is the greatest worth of firearms.

My problem is that I don't get rid of them. They are more beloved than some of family members...
Gunlove2.JPG

Are firearms a good investment? Honestly, no. I have some guns that are now worth three or even four times what I paid for them many years ago. But many others, not so much. It depends greatly on what it is, its condition and its desirability.
I've found that on average, if you buy a brand new gun, you have to keep it roughly 5 years before you can sell it for what you paid for it and just break even. However, if you hold that gun for 40-50 years AND take good care of it, you may see a two, three or possibly four times return depending on what it is.
There's saying among collectors. "Condition is everything." A LNIB example will bring up to 10X more that the exact same model in well worn condition. However, I don't believe in Safe Queens. I shoot everything I own. Granted some may only get shot once every few years. But I do shoot them. After all, that's what they are made for. What's the point of owning a fine collectible firearm if you never enjoy it? ;)
A big problem today is that the great collectible guns are long out of production. Classic S&Ws, Colts, Winchesters and such haven't been produced in years. Most are already up to their peak prices as it is and likely won't go much higher. Buying these guns now will cost you a lot of money and even 20 years from now they won't gain much over what you paid.
The real money is in blue steel and walnut. I just can't see today's plastic wonders ever becoming real collectibles. :rolleyes:
I own exactly 0 (zero) plastic guns. I am 100% onboard with you on this. They are recoil nightmares. If you practice a lot with them, learn the new hold and techniques you could do ok... my son does. But they are not fun or easy to shoot (well) with. When Glock came out with the first .45 a friend of mine was excited to get one. We both had our time on the range with it. I decided right then I was not a "plastic gun" fan because every time you fired a round the gun handled differently (because half the weight of the gun was in the ammo). Two years ago my son let me shoot his FN in 40S&W. Recoil had such a mean twist in it the trigger actually cut my finger. I'm not taken in by the "cool factor". For me, function and handling qualities go hand-n-hand. Now, I know the new guns are quite reliable, but if you can't hit what you are aiming at... what's the point?

I own exactly 0 (zero) plastic guns. I am 100% onboard with you on this. They are recoil nightmares. If you practice a lot with them, learn the new hold and techniques you could do ok... my son does. But they are not fun or easy to shoot (well) with. When Glock came out with the first .45 a friend of mine was excited to get one. We both had our time on the range with it. I decided right then I was not a "plastic gun" fan because every time you fired a round the gun handled differently (because half the weight of the gun was in the ammo). Two years ago my son let me shoot his FN in 40S&W. Recoil had such a mean twist in it the trigger actually cut my finger. I'm not taken in by the "cool factor". For me, function and handling qualities go hand-n-hand. Now, I know the new guns are quite reliable, but if you can't hit what you are aiming at... what's the point?
None of this is true. I bought my first plastic gun ( XD Mod 2 4” .45 ) about 7 years ago. I own about 10 now. None of them have been recoil nightmares.

None of this is true. I bought my first plastic gun ( XD Mod 2 4” .45 ) about 7 years ago. I own about 10 now. None of them have been recoil nightmares.
Well, I know this is a bit off-topic here, but... I am glad you like these. My son has no problem with them either. Yes, the Glock changed handling characteristics after each shot, and yes, that FN trigger cut my finger.
There is a whole new school of thinking and discipline that has come out of the plastic gun era. My son shoots with the offhand forward. It is not a natural grip for me (maybe there is something about teaching old dog new tricks here). I know police forces had lots of trouble with officers qualifying when departments transitioned to the lighter guns. One reason many of them have returned to the 9mm. Simple physics... lighter means more felt recoil and more muzzle flip. When my son and I go out to the range, the gals won't touch them... they dislike the recoil. They stick with the heaver guns and enjoy them.
As for me, I will take the few extra ounces and the better weight distribution offered by metal frames.

Last edited:
Sometimes gun makers change the used gun market themselves.
Since Sig Sauer has gone mostly to plastic, now the older all metal P200 series are all going up in price.
And, of course, S&W shot themselves in the foot big time! :rolleyes: First they introduced MIM parts and then that damned lock! :poop: Prices on used S&W revolvers pre-MIM and especially pre-lock have gone through the roof! In many cases used S&Ws are selling for more than brand new ones. :rolleyes:

Well, I know this is a bit off-topic here, but... I am glad you like these. My son has no problem with them either. Yes, the Glock changed handling characteristics after each shot, and yes, that FN trigger cut my finger.
There is a whole new school of thinking and discipline that has come out of the plastic gun era. My son shoots with the offhand forward. It is not a natural grip for me (maybe there is something about teaching old dog new tricks here). I know police forces had lots of trouble with officers qualifying when departments transitioned to the lighter guns. One reason many of them have returned to the 9mm. Simple physics... lighter means more felt recoil and more muzzle flip. When my son and I go out to the range, the gals won't touch them... they dislike the recoil. They stick with the heaver guns and enjoy them.
As for me, I will take the few extra ounces and the better weight distribution offered by metal frames.
Glocks have a stupid grip angle. Lots of folks don’t like it. Myself included. I didn’t change the way it shoot a handgun for the plastic. I shot my 1911s the same way. Two handed support hand forward. That bit of technique predated the plastic gun phase I think. I never noticed a difference in recoil. But then again I always shot .45s until the last few years.

Glocks have a stupid grip angle. Lots of folks don’t like it. Myself included. I didn’t change the way it shoot a handgun for the plastic. I shot my 1911s the same way. Two handed support hand forward. That bit of technique predated the plastic gun phase I think. I never noticed a difference in recoil. But then again I always shot .45s until the last few years.
Agree, I was trying to understand this... I often take my Combat Commander to the range and shoot alongside my Glocks, SAs, SIGs or any other gun. I have not heard of changing the way you shoot based on Poly or steel. There can deff be a weight diff, or felt recoil sure, but I shoot my 27 pound STAR Megastar the same as my G20. I do wonder if CCJ is talking about a Hellcat in particular, for real that is the most Da&# snappy gun I have shot in a long time, my wife hates it.

Agree, I was trying to understand this... I often take my Combat Commander to the range and shoot alongside my Glocks, SAs, SIGs or any other gun. I have not heard of changing the way you shoot based on Poly or steel. There can deff be a weight diff, or felt recoil sure, but I shoot my 27 pound STAR Megastar the same as my G20. I do wonder if CCJ is talking about a Hellcat in particular, for real that is the most Da&# snappy gun I have shot in a long time, my wife hates it.
ModerGrip.jpg... off hand is forward, under the trigger guard and along the slide. This grip was designed specifically for better control of light pistols. Some manufactures are even building in a thumb rest on the frame forward of the trigger guard.

OldGrip.jpg... this is the old tried and True grip that existed up until plastic gun came on the scene. Offhand is back on the grip and under the guard. Some folks placed the index finger on the front of the guard.

You young folks too young to remember that grip? Maybe so. Yup, there are two and one was designed to deal with the heavier recoil of light guns.

yes, I imagine that if you shoot plastic guns all day you have become quite proficient. Like I said, my son seems to do just fine with them, and he is adapt at using the modern hold.

Attachments

• ModernGrip.JPG
    ModernGrip.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 44
  • OldGrip.JPG
    OldGrip.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
ModerGrip.jpg... off hand is forward, under the trigger guard and along the slide. This grip was designed specifically for better control of light pistols. Some manufactures are even building in a thumb rest on the frame forward of the trigger guard.

OldGrip.jpg... this is the old tried and True grip that existed up until plastic gun came on the scene. Offhand is back on the grip and under the guard. Some folks placed the index finger on the front of the guard.

You young folks too young to remember that grip? Maybe so. Yup, there are two and one was designed to deal with the heavier recoil of light guns.

yes, I imagine that if you shoot plastic guns all day you have become quite proficient. Like I said, my son seems to do just fine with them, and he is adapt at using the modern hold.
I have never gripped like the picture on the left. I shoot all mine pretty well without resorting to "New" methods.

Interesting... Hey I am not, Not agreeing or arguing... we all have our own thing. I am not young, so I wonder if this could just be related to training. That left grip seems weird to me...

I have never gripped like the picture on the left. I shoot all mine pretty well without resorting to "New" methods.
So, I googled handgun shooting grips and that exact picture posted above popped up at pew pew tactical... I wonder if this was a static shooting or bench rest grip. Obviously it is not a standard tactical grip.... I aint mad, I like to learn stuff.

The "Modern" grip (left image) is being taught in most places now. It has superseded the old grip. I don't find it to be a natural grip and I too use the old style. Maybe that's my problem.

actually, the military and a lot of police forces (in most nations) are now teaching the "Modern" grip. It has become the de-facto standard and has now made its way into civilian training.
Interesting... I cant help but think that is a resting or "range" grip vs training to shoot under duress. When you pull your weapon to shoot, you usually have to rotate your 'Off hand' a bit in order to get that thumb forward grip. I may have to try that at the range tomorrow, but I have been military shooting 30 years and train foreign folks to shoot so, we shall see.

Back