testtest

Artifacts of our past

Once the community lifeline

Attachments

• 20240816_114400.jpg
    20240816_114400.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 41
We still have a land line. Wife retired from AT&T after 32 years. Part of her retirement package included an almost free land line. Have to admit we very seldom use it.
We still have a landline, with the same number from 50+/- years ago, and use it almost exclusively when at home. Only time I pick up the cell from the charger is when going out, then we'll forward our landline to the cell. Several reasons for this practice, but has served us well since the days of the bag phones (about early 90's iirc)

I was thinking of getting a land-line again due to semi-frequent outages of cell service in my area. Unfortunately, new land-lines here run on the same lines as internet, which have more outages locally than the cell services. Can't win I guess.

I would get a sat phone if your cellular phone and landline are intermittent.
That is a valid and logical suggestion. However, I no longer have a family to worry about in an emergency (home invasion or fire for examples)...just me. I have no idea how much a monthly charge would be for a satellite phone, but my sorry ass is certainly not worth it. It's just ironic calling them land lines....that ship has sailed. And do satellite phones work better than satellite TV? If not, my satellite TV would go out if cloud-cover was thick enough to produce rain or snow anyway....which is worse than what I have now anyway.

Back