testtest

Artifacts of our past

My dear late father's calculator,

Attachments

• 20240907_190227.jpg
    20240907_190227.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 20
When my mom passed away I inherited her 1920-21 Singer treadle operated sewing machine. It happens to have been a salesman's example and it has all sorts of accessories like button hole makers, serger (?), and others. It has the original tool kit that came with it, original oil can, a few 1920 needles of various shapes/sizes, and the original operator's manual. It has been restored to perfection (about 28-30 years ago and according to mom it was identical to the one she learned to sew on as a young girl which at the time belonged to her grandmother. It still works flawlessly and every attachment with it still functions. The only thing done to it since it became mine was that I put a new leather belt on it. It also has all the fancy filigree designs on the front.

I've never used it for sewing but I did make a panel that fits into the hole above where the machine folds down into the cabinet which makes a flat surface to place a portable electric machine on when the wife does some sewing. It makes the perfect sewing table since when the top is opened to the left, it makes a big, flat wooden surface for her to spread stuff out on just as they did when sewing with the old, original 1920-21 foot driven machine.

I'm not necessarily a sewing machine collector, but I do like well kept original antiques of all kinds. Don't know if this really fits into the theme (ARTIFACTS OF OUR PAST) of the OP's thread, but thought it might be interesting to some.

Also have a Winchester 1930's+/- youth .22 single shot rifle. Don't remember the model and can't get to it right now, but my grandpa bought it for my dad back in about 1938 when daddy was about 10 years old. Grandpa was a well known bootlegger in his home town area and made a deal with a local hardware store owner to pay him $1.50 one week, then the alternate week a quart of shine, repeating the $1.50 one week then another quart of shine till it was paid off. I never heard grandpa say how much it cost, but daddy said he seemed to remember grandpa saying it was about $9.50+/- when he bought it.

I've known of the little rifle for a lot of years now, but it became mine a few years ago when daddy passed on. I think it does have somewhat of a following for the model and version (1 of 3 iirc) it is, but I don't know just how much so. Been many thousands of rounds down the tube of that little rifle. From the time daddy got it till he went into the Marine Corp, he provided much/most of the protein his family had to eat.

Also have a Winchester 1930's+/- youth .22 single shot rifle. Don't remember the model and can't get to it right now, but my grandpa bought it for my dad back in about 1938 when daddy was about 10 years old. Grandpa was a well known bootlegger in his home town area and made a deal with a local hardware store owner to pay him $1.50 one week, then the alternate week a quart of shine, repeating the $1.50 one week then another quart of shine till it was paid off. I never heard grandpa say how much it cost, but daddy said he seemed to remember grandpa saying it was about $9.50+/- when he bought it.

I've known of the little rifle for a lot of years now, but it became mine a few years ago when daddy passed on. I think it does have somewhat of a following for the model and version (1 of 3 iirc) it is, but I don't know just how much so. Been many thousands of rounds down the tube of that little rifle. From the time daddy got it till he went into the Marine Corp, he provided much/most of the protein his family had to eat.
jumpinjoe that's a real good story.

May be a Model 67 or 68 i have a 68 from 1935’ish. Definitely a well used rifle that put meat on the table. Came from VT and the original owner dimpled his name on the underside if the stock, “J. HERBST”, which is part of the reason i bought it. It was a high value item to the person who owned it before me.
A nice little rifle too.

May be a Model 67 or 68 i have a 68 from 1935’ish. Definitely a well used rifle that put meat on the table. Came from VT and the original owner dimpled his name on the underside if the stock, “J. HERBST”, which is part of the reason i bought it. It was a high value item to the person who owned it before me.
A nice little rifle too.
For some reason Model 67 seems to ring a bell! I'll check for sure in a few days.

Back