testtest

Ayoob: Is It Time to Retire the 1911?

I enlisted in 1971 And from basic training to retirement 38 years later I was always a top shooter with the M-16. I never did well with the 45 caliber. I am not a very big and strong fella so the .45 was a bit much for my hands to handle. I carried and shot the M9 for 18 months in Iraq and I handled it well. I have owned five 1911 models from an original 1911 built in 1917 (No A or number) Which I inherited. (Actually my wife did, from her Dad) and my last purchase was a Springfield. We have kept the antique but gave all the rest to family. Here’s the point-the .45 is a literal handful. The 9mm is too, but not so much. It takes a stronger hand(s) to shoot Expert with the .45. My favorite carry is a S&W 39A2 9mm & I can roll a beer can down a road with it. My second favorite is a CZ75 PCR, & I have a new Springfield SA35 not yet fired. So this is no criticism but the caliber needs to fit the person, and vice versa.

I too carried a .45 ACP for many years for work from Colt 1911 to FN-45 tactical and wanted to actually give-in and get a 9mm range pistol, but found I still wanted metal over polymer this time. And damn ended up with a Beretta that weighs well over three pounds empty with brake and optic and is all carbon steel (looks like SS, but ain't). Is a DA/SA per say, but lacks a de-cocker enlieu of a cock and lock feature on the frame. But it does shoot 9mm and appears I am an ugly American stuck in the past. Oh wait, this is the "new" model and they have a few SA only with a de-cocker and I am getting confused... Guess I will stay with the hammer so I can keep up...

I like a hammer. And a decocker w/double action availability when possible. However, the single action "cocked and locked" over a loaded chamber works for me as well. I really do not like or really trust these new-style no-safety designs based on the Glock- as accidents-in-waiting. Deal with the plastic I can- the lack of a positive safety-lock or even a grip-safety really bothers me... I have long since learned to sweep off the safety on the 1911 and BHP while drawing, it is a non-existent "problem".

Back