testtest

Best long range caliber

You and me both......shot one of those before, not for this old person....😬
I'm only 40 and I do a lot of weight lifting, but if I go more than a .300 win mag I'll go all the way to .338 lap mag. Good God, I wouldn't want to touch off a .300 Weatherby mag if I was an older gentleman.

.300 mag isn’t so bad. Just dont shoot more than twice 😁
I'll make sure to get the New England Arms "Pardner" version. Nothing like just a tube and a trigger with no butt pad to make a person appreciate a round :) I use the 12 Gauge version with a 3" slug as part on my new hunter training with friends. It gives them a real appreciation for the full power some guns can put out.

The .308 Win will kill big game far beyond abilities of 98% of hunters.

Hunters have ethical responsibility to hunt ethically. Hunting is not about ability to shoot big game at long distances. It's about ethically and humanely killing big game.

Target shooting is not big game hunting. There are no shooting benches in the Rockies.

Gaining elevation reduces ethical shooting distances. Try scaling ridges at 9000+ feet and see how steady you're able to hold a rifle. At 9000', a sandwich is heavy.

When I spot at distance big game for which I have a tag, my first thought is closing distance. I would much rather shoot big game at a hundred yards than farther. If I can close distance, I will. If I can't, I'll wait to see what an animal is doing. Hopefully, it'll walk to me. If not and it's beyond 400 yards, he'll win than encounter and I'll sleep restfully.

400 yards is long distance at Rocky Mountain altitude. It is my maximum shooting distance under absolutely perfect conditions. Those who've hunted the Rockies knw that perfect conditions are as rare as a 30" 4x4 mule deer bucks. While either my .270 Win or 7MM Rem Mag will kill big game at much greater distances, there are too many uncontrollable variables that would cause shooting beyond 400 yards unethical. While I have killed big game at long range, I did so under absolutely perfect conditions. There was no wind. A gust of wind at the wrng time could result in disastrous outcomes. I had very steady rests, Targeted big game was standing away from other big game. There were no animals standing behind my targeted big game that could have been wounded or killed by a through-and-through shot.

I've walked up to a Rocky Mountain mule deer buck that was fighting for its life. I never again want that that experience. He was within a hundred yards of me when I fired my 7MM Rem Mag. To this day, I do not know how my bullet missed its heart and lungs. It did. I've never, ever forgotten it. I've killed a massive Rocky Mountain bull elk with a single shot from my 7MM Rem Mag. My bullet destroyed his heart and lungs. The exit wound was devastating. He was dead on his hooves merely awaiting gravity's effect. He was under 150 yards when I shot it. He's now on my living room wall. I have no nightmares about tagging him.

I want to walk up dead big game animals. That is my ethical responsibility.

From my experience, the 7MM Rem Mag in a sporting rifle is the most powerful cartridge that most hunters can shoot from benches without developing flinches.

If I were given a do-over, I'd buy a .308 Win carbine and never need another rifle.

I'm only 40 and I do a lot of weight lifting, but if I go more than a .300 win mag I'll go all the way to .338 lap mag. Good God, I wouldn't want to touch off a .300 Weatherby mag if I was an older gentleman.

.460 Weatherby is a real treat...makes .416 Rigby look downright gentle.

I'll make sure to get the New England Arms "Pardner" version. Nothing like just a tube and a trigger with no butt pad to make a person appreciate a round :) I use the 12 Gauge version with a 3" slug as part on my new hunter training with friends. It gives them a real appreciation for the full power some guns can put out.

A buddy got into deer huntting at a later age, wasn’t sure if he'd like it or not, so he wanted to go budget; got the H&R in .30-06, and that was a bit punishing until he put a Pachmay Decelerator pad on it...then, not bad at all. Been his rifle now for about 15 years, he has great success with it.

I really want one in .500, myself...though that’s not really a long range round.

.270 Win
.270 Wby Mag

.270 WIN
.270 Wby Mag
.300 Wby Mag
6C2DCCDB-D937-4095-8E9E-05859C4C510C.jpeg
21846085-2460-4960-B446-2DF1CB5CF336.jpeg
D3AF507D-AC04-45FC-825F-E83D6467E339.jpeg
4139B064-BEE8-4E46-A566-63B8EBA64206.jpeg

.300WM is, in my opinion a very good “all around” cartridge, compared to the other offerings. The Weatherby Mags are very good and they most definitely have there place, if that’s what you do. 338 Ultra Mag is a long range, big game cartridge. I like big game hunting and I follow it, a lot. .270 and now 6.5 most definitely will do it but when you have a 7mag and 300WM that will do it better?

On the do it better point, my paw-in-law has a .375 H&H that I can use anytime, would it put these deer down better than my .270? The larger calibers have their place. 300WM will put an Elk down, will put a Moose down. A .416 Rigby is not needed for that. You would probably get some weird looks if you went Elk hunting with that. I had a .338WM that I really enjoyed but sold to a buddy that wanted it really bad, and that’s the only reason I let it go. .50BMG, outside of the military and besides sowing off with your friends there is no place to shoot this round. Get a .338 Lapua Mag if you want something big

.300WM is, in my opinion a very good “all around” cartridge, compared to the other offerings. The Weatherby Mags are very good and they most definitely have there place, if that’s what you do. 338 Ultra Mag is a long range, big game cartridge. I like big game hunting and I follow it, a lot. .270 and now 6.5 most definitely will do it but when you have a 7mag and 300WM that will do it better?

On the do it better point, my paw-in-law has a .375 H&H that I can use anytime, would it put these deer down better than my .270? The larger calibers have their place. 300WM will put an Elk down, will put a Moose down. A .416 Rigby is not needed for that. You would probably get some weird looks if you went Elk hunting with that. I had a .338WM that I really enjoyed but sold to a buddy that wanted it really bad, and that’s the only reason I let it go. .50BMG, outside of the military and besides sowing off with your friends there is no place to shoot this round. Get a .338 Lapua Mag if you want something big

.416 Rigby really isn’t a long range round...more designed to knock dangerous game (like Cape Buffalo) down at “jelly in your jodhpurs” distances. It’s pure overkill on anything in North America.

A .416 double rifle is on my “guns to get when I win the lottery” list...preferably an H&H.

But to swing this back on topic...I think an overlooked round for longer distance without the punishment is .300WSM. I don’t find them objectionable at all.

.416 Rigby really isn’t a long range round...more designed to knock dangerous game (like Cape Buffalo) down at “jelly in your jodhpurs” distances. It’s pure overkill on anything in North America.

A .416 double rifle is on my “guns to get when I win the lottery” list...preferably an H&H.

But to swing this back on topic...I think an overlooked round for longer distance without the punishment is .300WSM. I don’t find them objectionable at all.

Your right it’s not considered a long range caliber, I saw it mentioned earlier in the post. 45-70 has a tremendous amount of drop at 300+ yards but you’d be surprised how many shoot them “long range” 300WSM would be a good round.

Back