testtest

Best long range caliber

.300WM is, in my opinion a very good “all around” cartridge, compared to the other offerings. The Weatherby Mags are very good and they most definitely have there place, if that’s what you do. 338 Ultra Mag is a long range, big game cartridge. I like big game hunting and I follow it, a lot. .270 and now 6.5 most definitely will do it but when you have a 7mag and 300WM that will do it better?

On the do it better point, my paw-in-law has a .375 H&H that I can use anytime, would it put these deer down better than my .270? The larger calibers have their place. 300WM will put an Elk down, will put a Moose down. A .416 Rigby is not needed for that. You would probably get some weird looks if you went Elk hunting with that. I had a .338WM that I really enjoyed but sold to a buddy that wanted it really bad, and that’s the only reason I let it go. .50BMG, outside of the military and besides sowing off with your friends there is no place to shoot this round. Get a .338 Lapua Mag if you want something big
Agreed
I like the Weatherbys as they were handed down to me. No need for a 7mm, .338 or 6.5 when i have .270 thru .300 Mag. Just like the larger knockdown on the .270 mag for deer and the .300 for big hog. Though my .308 AR knocks the hogs down as well.
hogs destroying the wheat and corn fields is why I want to see the big boar go bye bye with the .50 cal. Sweet revenge

Agreed
I like the Weatherbys as they were handed down to me. No need for a 7mm, .338 or 6.5 when i have .270 thru .300 Mag. Just like the larger knockdown on the .270 mag for deer and the .300 for big hog. Though my .308 AR knocks the hogs down as well.
hogs destroying the wheat and corn fields is why I want to see the big boar go bye bye with the .50 cal. Sweet revenge

My .308 AR is one of my favorites as well. I shoot it and use it for all different roles.

Are we talking about hunting rifles or general long-range rifles? I think I missed the point of this thread.

Based on the calibers most here are talking about I'm guessing not hunting. Not being a competitive long range rifle guy, I stick with what I know. My hunting rifles. I totally understand that 500-600 yards isn't considered long range by some.

Are we talking about hunting rifles or general long-range rifles? I think I missed the point of this thread.

Just an article posted that tuned into each other’s favorite “long range rifle” no point missed as each rifle discussed is used as hunting. 300WM for example is a hunting, long range and sniper rifle.

Back