testtest

bug out vs get home

It's Tuesday!
I tell my kids that if they were kidnapped the kidnappers would pay us so they could return them. 1 day at the zoo when they were young we were at the lions housing. While there I told the kids they could get in with the lions and they wouldn't eat them, because they don't eat junk food. There were a few people within hearing distance and started to laugh and then said "that's sad" as they continued to laugh.

With my wife's infirmities and dependence upon prescription medicines we ain't bugging anywhere. This is the Alamo for us. I do have things in the car and kits to help get us home in emergency.

Sleeping in a modern vehickmle with bucket seats really is not that bad. When I worked my last retirement job driving bus I spent many an hour napping in the reclined front seat. There were usually teo periods a day between runs of up to two to three hours and driving home wasted gas. Neck pillow and some bedding kept me warm and comfortable even well below zero, usually they did not start calling school until -10 real temp.

One little trick is to take off heavy coats and boots that restrict blood flow. That heavy coat makes a nice upper body short blanket and some loose felt pacs from pacboots make excelLant slippers or sone sheepskin lined booties work. I even kept a heavy sleeping bag, unzipped it 3/4 then slipped over legs and feet then just cover upper torso.

Thing is, for most folks, there’s truly no place to “bug out” to. Too many city commando’s somehow believe they’ll get out to the country and “ live off the land”. Good luck with that pretty well anywhere in the lower 48. Most places are already occupied by somebody, and most country folk won’t just let an outsider come in and take what they have. Like ‘Ol Hank Jr. said “a country boy can survive”. If you intend to “bug out” you’d darn sure better have a place to bug out to of your own lined up well in advance.

Shiba - yes and yes. One of my colleagues was always boasting about his timeshare cabin in the mtns and how 4 families were gonna run there when it goes down. I asked him - how would you expect to even get there? 2 hours away - and noone else will be in there waiting for you? He looked puzzled.

With my wife's infirmities and dependence upon prescription medicines we ain't bugging anywhere. This is the Alamo for us. I do have things in the car and kits to help get us home in emergency.

Sleeping in a modern vehickmle with bucket seats really is not that bad. When I worked my last retirement job driving bus I spent many an hour napping in the reclined front seat. There were usually teo periods a day between runs of up to two to three hours and driving home wasted gas. Neck pillow and some bedding kept me warm and comfortable even well below zero, usually they did not start calling school until -10 real temp.

One little trick is to take off heavy coats and boots that restrict blood flow. That heavy coat makes a nice upper body short blanket and some loose felt pacs from pacboots make excelLant slippers or sone sheepskin lined booties work. I even kept a heavy sleeping bag, unzipped it 3/4 then slipped over legs and feet then just cover upper torso.
Me and 3 other guys lived in a Ford Pinto station wagon in Buena Park California for a couple months.

Like everything else, it depends.

We currently live pretty close to the center of Colorado Springs.

Two years ago we were on pre-evacuation alert for a wild fire in our neighborhood.

That's a bug out.

I used to go to a shooting range in Penrose Colorado 50(ish) miles from home.

That's a get home.

I recently spent some time in the hospital for a "Cardiac Event" (I guess it wasn't quite a heart attack).

As a result our daughter has decided that my wife and I are too old and feeble to be trusted to live on our own. So we're going to be moving to her property 50 miles east of Colorado Springs as soon as she makes the arrangements.

20240803_194811.jpg

This is the view from her front porch.
20240803_194938.jpg

This is from the back porch. We won't be going anywhere

Like everything else, it depends.

We currently live pretty close to the center of Colorado Springs.

Two years ago we were on pre-evacuation alert for a wild fire in our neighborhood.

That's a bug out.

I used to go to a shooting range in Penrose Colorado 50(ish) miles from home.

That's a get home.

I recently spent some time in the hospital for a "Cardiac Event" (I guess it wasn't quite a heart attack).

As a result our daughter has decided that my wife and I are too old and feeble to be trusted to live on our own. So we're going to be moving to her property 50 miles east of Colorado Springs as soon as she makes the arrangements.

View attachment 64372
This is the view from her front porch.
View attachment 64373
This is from the back porch. We won't be going anywhere
the front porch view has something that looks like a tornado shelter or something, but unable to make out

Back