testtest

Caliber Closeup: A Look at 9mm Bullet Grain Weights

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The specific weight plays a role in recoil, accuracy, and sometimes reliability in your particular firearm. Some guns will shoot one load better than another, and different loads may hit at different points of aim. This is due to the barrel length and twist rate, as well as the general parts fitment of your firearm.

1710620740905.png

Hi,

THAT was a top notch writeup, interesting and informative. I have one box left of the Syntech 150 grain. I'm saving it for the right competition. ;) It shoots great but it's kinda expensive to plink with.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

I’ve always loaded 115gr coated round nose for years because I thought they were the most economical. Always run them about 1100-1200 fps. I have recently switched to 147gr flat points around 900fps and I have noticed my scores in matches have been consistently better. Very soft recoil impulse and extremely accurate. I still have a couple thousand 115’s left but I’m only buying 147’s from now on. I use the 115’s for practice and plinking with the grandkids.

Should have mentioned more about barrel twist rate.
In rifles a faster twist rate is normally more accurate for heavier/longer bullets

I would think the 9mm with a 1:10 barrel would be more accurate with heavier bullets.

The SAAMI specs are 1:10" for 9mm pistols. but S&W used the 38/357 twist rate of 1:18.75" in some models.
Some barrel makers offer 9mm barrels with 1:32" twist

Some early 357 Sig barrels with 1:10 9mm barrels would spin 115 gr bullets fast enough they could fragment.
A change to 1:16" fixed that in most cases :)

Back in the day many S&W guns were re-barreled with Colt 38/357 barrels with a 1:14 twist for better accuracy with 148 gr wadcutters.

A little more info:

Back