testtest

Car Folks and Gun Folks

Present vehicles.

SANY5146.JPG
motorcycles 199.jpg

I knew I posted some when I got my truck last year. (Link will bring you right the post with pics)

Still going strong. She's due for some new tires very soon though. Thinking of going with a beefier tire than the crap highway duelers it came with. Maybe some Falken AT4's

Due to pi ss poor maintenance habits by one or all three previous owners during the first 270,000 miles, my rare 1 of 1271 made in 2007 5.7L 4x2 Regular Cab Short Bed Toyota Tundra sport truck (former abused work truck that I bought cheap in 2017) blew a head gasket at 316,000 miles.

It seems Toyota's big V8 likes it's coolant flushed about every 50k/5yrs, and it doesn't appreciate being run hard while low on oil, the cylinder walls were scored from heat. Very few shops know how to machine and rebuild these correctly, so I sold the original engine as a core after I found a low mileage used engine that I purchased from the original owner.

My Toyota master mechanic refreshed the new to me engine with new head gaskets, timing chains, guides, chain tensioners, starter, alternator, radiator, water pump, etc...

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_1511.JPG

It's the smallest full size Tundra ever made, and it has the longest doors Toyota ever hung on a truck. With a mild tune plus a custom cat-back exhaust this engine makes about 400 hp. and I have had it back on the road for almost a month now... I'm enjoying it immensely.

IMG_2422.1.JPG

Luckily I had my trusty work truck to drive while my sport truck was out of action. This is my rare 2002 regular cab long bed 4X4 V8 Tundra that I bought in '03, it's about to hit 200k.

IMG_1296...JPG

Last edited:
Due to pi ss poor maintenance habits by one or all three previous owners during the first 270,000 miles, my rare 1 of 1271 made in 2007 5.7L 4x2 Regular Cab Short Bed Toyota Tundra sport truck (former abused work truck that I bought cheap in 2017) blew a head gasket at 316,000 miles.

It seems Toyota's big V8 likes it's coolant flushed about every 50k/5yrs, and it doesn't appreciate being run hard while low on oil, the cylinder walls were scored from heat. Very few shops know how to machine and rebuild these correctly, so I sold the original engine as a core after I found a low mileage used engine that I purchased from the original owner.

My Toyota master mechanic refreshed the new to me engine with new head gaskets, timing chains, guides, chain tensioners, starter, alternator, radiator, water pump, etc...

View attachment 66324

View attachment 66325

It's the smallest full size Tundra ever made, and it has the longest doors Toyota ever hung on a truck. With a mild tune plus a custom cat-back exhaust this engine makes about 400 hp. and I have had it back on the road for almost a month now... I'm enjoying it immensely.

View attachment 66326

Luckily I had my trusty work truck to drive while my sport truck was out of action. This is my rare 2002 regular cab long bed 4X4 V8 Tundra that I bought in '03, it's about to hit 200k.

View attachment 66328
is that an auto tension or just a sensor on the cam chains?

is that an auto tension or just a sensor on the cam chains?
They are hydraulic tensioners, in the 1st picture you can see the one on the right with the small yellow locking mechanism. I will be changing oil & filter every 4k to ensure the tensioners remain fully functional.

My last true muscle car was this '71 GTO that I sold in '86... it was a lot of fun.

IMG_4547.JPG

Last edited:
They are hydraulic tensioners, in the 1st picture you can see the one on the right with the small yellow locking mechanism. I will be changing oil & filter every 4k to ensure the tensioners remain fully functional.

My last true muscle car was this '71 GTO that I sold in '86... it was a lot of fun.

View attachment 66336
a friend (deceased now) has a similar car (olds cutlas or 442) convertible that you could start w/o a key in the ignition. just turn it normally like you would with a key in the ignition. really with i had that car and other old muscle type cars from the 60's and early 70's in brands (dodge, ford) i don't care for.

Seems to be a lot of crossover between gun folks and car folks...guess it is a fascination with machines because I also like watches and motorcycles. Any other car guys on the forum?
In much younger days it was one of my life's finer pleasures!!!! Bought/sold them, built them, raced them, customized them, modified them, painted them, even drove one every now and then!!! Actually very early on I had to learn to take care of them. I left home at 15 and had no one else to do it for me.

Back