testtest

coffee cups, you have a favorite one or two, or more..??

Old_Me

SAINT
well, yall know i like to take my morning nap, mid day nap, and early evening nap.

the grandkids wanted to get me a birthday gift, so the Mrs and one of our daughters went to (i think) the Hallmark store.

the kids saw one that said, "world's greatest grandpa", another said "best grandpa in the world"

but when my Mrs and daughter saw THIS one, they laughed, and said to the kids...

"uh no, this IS going to be grandpa's coffee cup"

AIL4fc_Ko1KFDYIg16UpnRTrP1OgM4Pz4YNU0cdyjTS6vFuJLRP29pU7nAwyUwjXU6fNAcw-iGypU6BCPkgm789fdljO1ZHxjfAy78dK8gxSagnc6ECnUFtbldsTh_Kka68LlPDz0MOz9YCnV-V4f8L8su97pWAAnW94Hv4qXKH-UBBZ-1yg5VfrAMiC1rOGlw6ePh74GgSdK4rNy2aR3lfErVSry3TyE2zavmJUOofj5XPpG1edA8uyFpGXViaEyhq25-THpivqEjnjKRdj-KkoUpKNsMpmCb9L-MaX9xMtOezSdutYBaLACpUrq9WPdVQ8K4pUkCCW_yFeK-iq_ZQaAtZbBxxEWURIi6ApinidKvhdzqL1SGuIQjowjmLObtWVm4GTxaiFTczL3rvY1HPbHMfVtyoBuTnrBNsvalEuACupTwge9ajGe-epLTudErs1MhKtMoT-LnMHMSrsIwgeQTMN9sMex-EkI3q4N5Z-GV2RBU98TyhmKRXRD79V3XlkBK0B3jU8EWRIn9XTm-el7TEKFRhKGaZ4J7HRbJi9ph-LwLqw4Qwfs-n1g1ztcrgnppoHwX1IjkWpvfRoQjX6V_gqDrs6XcwdUmyQst6NvgjTrZ1TJT4lM5mkUi6Vj8irNskb6D0fTJ-heuYu1I4xe0Jvw6ql_mwyAAwzn42haxYK-ZVP1rTjAR8dZgq9EzXBS6AKBjvU-8elR6ACvRDNH5_8myaynMBwxMn_nNlcnzlPQvQvKQfRJ6fJ75lPnOYlKwbtzbsJoOQTErIFkNAt1BL1nvpnqzrB_wJHDANAXB7Gqy4FiqqfkZyDqo6E-NbLzIX36CjbJWEyOW__4gCt5kp68323v6_QwtiAXUQFeffBSK0eXLz_STHGAMhutFztQMAbcVpSOO_z6hnnvy4LK6CZjA=w1241-h931-s-no

who would think, they knew me so well...........???????

Neat mug, I like it. I have a whole collection of mugs, tumblers and the like. Seems every time I go to a gun show every vendor is giving them away. I drink so much coffee though that it really doesn't matter. Last Doctor visit she asked how much I drink a day so I told her usually between six or seven and she said oh that's not many cups then she turned red when I clarified that's not cups, that's pots.

For me, it's more about the coffee than the cup. That said, my wife sends me off every morning with a 32oz sippy cup for the commute and a 64oz thermos full for when the sippy runs dry.
Some of you headbangers will get the caption.
IMG_30311.jpg

For me, it's more about the coffee than the cup. That said, my wife sends me off every morning with a 32oz sippy cup for the commute and a 64oz thermos full for when the sippy runs dry.
Some of you headbangers will get the caption.View attachment 42253
I don’t actually drink much coffee. I have one of those Starbucks silver to go cups every morning on my way to work. That’s it. On days off I have one regular cup of coffee when I get up. I’m not particular about coffee at all.

For me, it's more about the coffee than the cup.
Couldn't have said it better, as I am a self-professed "coffee snob." I simply don't enjoy gas station and/or convenience store swill (exemplary!). I have sampled many of the finest, most highly touted beans available through the years. Did I enjoy all of them? Of course not. It surely was a kick finding out! Cheers. . .

I like the old Aladin travel mugs. You used to see them everywhere. I got my first one back in the '80s at a LGS; it was a Winchester promo and it came with a couple boxes of Winchester .22 ammo in it. I LOVED the thing--it fit perfectly between my thighs when driving (in the days before cupholders were common and car ashtrays were still a thing). I wore it out. Found out over the years that this is normal--they all start to leak eventually. Dunno how many of them I've worn out, over a dozen, I guess.

And then they disappeared. Aladin stopped making them. So I'd buy them at yard sales whenever I'd see them. The last one I bought at a yard sale was around 2012 or 2013. It was pink and had Barbara Mandrell's name on it. I carried it to work every day for five years. When anyone would make fun of it, or ask me if I were a Barbara Mandrell fan, I'd say, "I just love these mugs and they don't make 'em anymore so I have to buy 'em at yard sales when I find 'em. Don't care what's on it--I'd drink out of a Hitler mug if that's all I could find."

So around 2018, that one started leaking. Did some net research and found out that another company had bought the Aladin molds and was still making them, and offered a set of two--one in black, one in white--for something like $16. I ordered a pair--Happy Happy Joy Joy! The first one worked great for about three weeks and then started leaking. The second one started leaking the second day I used it. :mad:

So then I got the bright idea to go on eBay and buy some OLD, original ones. Found two--one with a DollyWood logo on it, and one with some local construction company promo. I'm still drinking out of the DollyWood one; when it starts leaking, I'll switch to the construction company one and immediately begin the search again. Meanwhile, I still keep my eye out for them at yard sales and flea markets, but haven't seen another one there in years.

20230804_084816.jpg

I seem to be a magnet for these things. The Starbucks cup on the left which has actually got my morning tea in it is my favorite.

I did not pay a dime for any of the cups or the thermos in this picture. I found them all over town when I was working as a security guard and these are just the ones I kept. This photo also doesn't include the Hydro Flask water bottles I found all over town.

The one on the left sat on a loading dock for 2 weeks. Some utilities employee left it there I did not touch it until the day I walked over and noticed the inside of the cup was full of mold. At that point I decided he didn't want it and I brought it home and I boiled it and I scrubbed it and I still use it everyday.

I don’t think Starbucks makes these cups anymore I've seen them on eBay for anywhere between 30 and 50 bucks.

The Stanley thermos belonged to a coworker of mine. He left it at work after pulling in all night shift. I was his relief I dumped it out, I rinsed it and I put it in my car. Then I sent him an email telling him I had and that I had put it in my car so that it wouldn't disappear before his next shift. I let him know that he was free to pick it up at any time or I would return it to him the next time he was on my site.

He sent me back an email and told me he didn't want it and I was to throw it away. I sent him back another email and reiterated that it was no problem and I was certainly happy to return it to him and he told me again to get rid of it.

So I sent him back another email acknowledging what he told me and telling him that I was going to dispose of it as he wished. I took it home and boiled it and I used it for 2 years when I was working nights at FedEx. It kept my tea hot until I finished it.

I'm not going to go through the story of every single cup but I found them all over town.

Usually when I found one it was in a parking garage and it had booze in it and I'm assuming they either didn't want to take it into the bar or they didn't want to get caught with it in their car. I would take them home wash them out and all but the best ones I gave away.
20230804_084426.jpg

This is the one I use every morning and it keeps the tea hot until I'm done with it.

Last edited:
I like the old Aladin travel mugs. You used to see them everywhere. I got my first one back in the '80s at a LGS; it was a Winchester promo and it came with a couple boxes of Winchester .22 ammo in it. I LOVED the thing--it fit perfectly between my thighs when driving (in the days before cupholders were common and car ashtrays were still a thing). I wore it out. Found out over the years that this is normal--they all start to leak eventually. Dunno how many of them I've worn out, over a dozen, I guess.

And then they disappeared. Aladin stopped making them. So I'd buy them at yard sales whenever I'd see them. The last one I bought at a yard sale was around 2012 or 2013. It was pink and had Barbara Mandrell's name on it. I carried it to work every day for five years. When anyone would make fun of it, or ask me if I were a Barbara Mandrell fan, I'd say, "I just love these mugs and they don't make 'em anymore so I have to buy 'em at yard sales when I find 'em. Don't care what's on it--I'd drink out of a Hitler mug if that's all I could find."

So around 2018, that one started leaking. Did some net research and found out that another company had bought the Aladin molds and was still making them, and offered a set of two--one in black, one in white--for something like $16. I ordered a pair--Happy Happy Joy Joy! The first one worked great for about three weeks and then started leaking. The second one started leaking the second day I used it. :mad:

So then I got the bright idea to go on eBay and buy some OLD, original ones. Found two--one with a DollyWood logo on it, and one with some local construction company promo. I'm still drinking out of the DollyWood one; when it starts leaking, I'll switch to the construction company one and immediately begin the search again. Meanwhile, I still keep my eye out for them at yard sales and flea markets, but haven't seen another one there in years.
And here are some of those mugs. Left to right:

1. The 16 oz DollyWood I'm using right now--it actually has coffee in it even as we speak. Didn't really want the 16-ouncer, as the 12-oz size fits perfectly between my thighs while driving, but bought this one off eBay same time I bought #4 figgering I can use it around the house and save the new 12 oz just for driving. (I am SO used to driving with these things between my legs by now, it's like putting on my seat belt--if it's not there, I just don't feel right.) But I'm actually getting used to having the big one in my crotch (shaddup!) and I like having that much more coffee on hand. My new church actually lets me bring this one into sanctuary for Sunday services, which is how I know that after years of searching, I have found not only God, but The World's Coolest Church. Can I get a AY-men! ;)

2. The above-mentioned, long-serving, beloved pink Barbara Mandell mug, bought for 50 cents at a yard sale. Last September at my HS 50th reunion, I wore a pink shirt with the line "I'm prolly the only straight white man you've ever known who has actually worn out THREE pink dress shirts. I think it makes a bold fashion statement, and that statement is, 'I am secure enough in my masculinity to wear a ****ing PINK SHIRT!'" I wish I'd thought of this line all those years I was carrying this mug to and through my old workplace--2000 fellow workers, the #1 demographic of which was straight women (around 65-75%). Of the other three possibilities, I really couldn't tell you what group was #2. :oops:

3. Regular, common Sheetz mug, available here for years. Dunno how many of these I wore out, but I remember having them in white, red, and black. I loved them all, every single one.

4. My next mug, waiting in the cupboard for when DollyWood finally, inevitably goes TU (no pun intended). I'd remembered it as being from a construction company but as you can see it's from Northwest Pipe Fittings, whatever/wherever that is. I don't really care. It's in never-used condition and thus the top is still as tight as...well, never mind what it's still as tight as. Use your own imagination.

Somewhere I probably still have that 1985 original Winchester mug, too. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

I love my Aladin travel mugs. :love:

1691166656856.png

I’ve always had a liking for advertising art. This goes back when I was a child and would cut logos out of the magazines and glue them to shoeboxes to make gas stations and repair garages etc for my little Tinker toy cars well before the advent of Hot Wheels.

I don’t hoard or collect but if I find a “small“ whatnot like signage, branded products particularly antique and long gone brands, sometimes a commemorative that’s appealing I might indulge.

As for Starbucks, where I was a regular for years and years…. I picked up one of their branded stainless steel thermal bottles for travel. I scrapped off their painted logo when they began their bleeding heart campaign.
It now holds 16 oz. of non-woke other coffee.

Back