testtest

CWK (Carrying While Kayaking)

ScottJ

Professional
Founding Member
I've been searching the net for a holster to use while kayaking, and since I use Alien Gear Shape Shifter products for my other carrying variations (iwb, owb), I finally settled on the Pocket Holster Expansion kit. Designed moreso for pants pockets, it adapted easily to the horizontal carry in the pfd pocket.

I can use it with the existing shells for my XDS9, or the XD Mod2 9. Attaching the item to the existing shell it will now ride w/pistol comfortably in the front pocket if my pfd, and not sag with the barrel angled into a pocket corner. There is also adjustable trigger guard retention.
20200207_144842.jpg

20200207_145001.jpg

20200207_155616.jpg

Last edited:
I like that idea. This is something that has always intrigued me as I always have visions of the pistol going in the drink and gone forever. Who makes your pdf? Mine doesn't have pockets like that. Also what type of kayak do you have? Reason I ask is I would think you may have a little more freedom to draw if it is a SOT rather than a sit in. I am probably mistaken on that.

Thanks. I'm concerned about losing it in the drink also, but mostly decided to carry it not so much for use on the water, but those moments when at a launch site in the wee hours of the morning. Where I go is public, but the launch is just off of a hiking trail, but secluded. Don't know if any malcontents could be lurking around with misdeeds on their mind.

Yep, my rig is a SOT, FeelFree Lure 11.5 . PFD is a NRS Chinook (original model). Their new model Chinook has different front pockets now I believe.

Original:

20181112_085423.jpg

Awesome. Thank you very much for all of that info. Nice rig you have there and interesting setups with the rods and camera. I will certainly have to look into that pdf and check to see what I have with Alien Gear. I am guessing the take down lever doesn't get hung up while drawing\holstering or you wouldn't be using it. I would be carrying the mod 2 flavor. Great setup with both the kayak and the XDS!

Awesome. Thank you very much for all of that info. Nice rig you have there and interesting setups with the rods and camera. I will certainly have to look into that pdf and check to see what I have with Alien Gear. I am guessing the take down lever doesn't get hung up while drawing\holstering or you wouldn't be using it. I would be carrying the mod 2 flavor. Great setup with both the kayak and the XDS!
Thanks again. Wtg for the weather to warm up so that I can get back on the water. Here's a link/video (hoping it works) on the Pocket Holster rig:

Thank you again for all of the information! Very informative! Link works perfectly. I am also waiting to get back out there.

check out the chest packs
Yep, looked at their site, and they have some nice gear, and prices aren't bad. A chest pack or pouch of some sort were in my initial thoughts, but then I realized that adding an additional pack/pouch to the front of my pfd would add more "stuff" strapped to my frontside, and restrict freedom of movement for the butt of the fishing rod to move. Plus, having something else strapped on the frontside could impede reentry to the kayak if I happen to end-up in the water, which hasn't happened yet (knocking on wood). :)

The XDS looks like you could attach a lanyard to it. I am not sure if that would interfere with inserting the magazine. Call me crazy, but here when you renew your permit, they have added a sheet to the back of the application that asks if any firearms have been lost or stolen. I am certain if I mentioned I lost one from a kayak, I could kiss my permit goodbye.

The XDS looks like you could attach a lanyard to it. I am not sure if that would interfere with inserting the magazine. Call me crazy, but here when you renew your permit, they have added a sheet to the back of the application that asks if any firearms have been lost or stolen. I am certain if I mentioned I lost one from a kayak, I could kiss my permit goodbye.
A lanyard attachment would be a neat accessory to be able to attach/reattach as needed. Yep, they might raise an eyebrow if you listed that as the cause, lol.

Seeing how Alien Gear has a mini sale going on, I just ordered a couple of shells for my carry options and a pocket extender so I will be able to fit something in a PFD. Great idea. Thanks @ScottJ. Slowly getting ready for Spring fishing.

Have you entertained the idea of mounting a holster to the kayak? Dara Holster make a dual retention holster that will mount to your kayak. The dual retention will ensure it stays in place if you roll your kayak. But will always be in reach where is most comfortable for you in your kayak. It has a ram mount and can be set in almost any direction you need.

Seeing how Alien Gear has a mini sale going on, I just ordered a couple of shells for my carry options and a pocket extender so I will be able to fit something in a PFD. Great idea. Thanks @ScottJ. Slowly getting ready for Spring fishing.
Cool, and I'll have to take a look at the AG mini sale. 👍

Have you entertained the idea of mounting a holster to the kayak? Dara Holster make a dual retention holster that will mount to your kayak. The dual retention will ensure it stays in place if you roll your kayak. But will always be in reach where is most comfortable for you in your kayak. It has a ram mount and can be set in almost any direction you need.

Didn't think about a kayak holster, and a good idea. My thoughts for CC in the pfd would be at the launch site, especially during the wee hours of the morning. I can wear the pfd while getting my gear set-up to launch and be carrying while doing so.

Great idea. The way are laws are written here it's supposed to be "on person\direct control". If anyone caught a glimpse of it, I am more than sure I would be in trouble. I wouldn't be able to get away with it.

Its a "tax season saving offer". I just called it a mini sale as not everything is on sale. Still was able to pick up what I needed though.

Cool. I initially thought of CC while on the water to ward-off any snakes that might venture close. I absolutely have a snake phobia. I then thought I would probably end-up putting a hole in my kayak, or worse, if combating an aggressive water snake. I had one chase me years ago while I was canoeing. I could have won the olympics that day I was paddleing so fast, lol.

Anyway, I now carry a Backwater Assault Paddle, conveniently stowed behind my seat. It comes in handy for small station-keeping manuevers while fishing in one spot and the wind might move/rotate you some. It's also sturdy enough to use against "something" that gets too close......if I can't out run it, lol. If you drop it in the drink it floats.

Last edited:
Great idea. The way are laws are written here it's supposed to be "on person\direct control". If anyone caught a glimpse of it, I am more than sure I would be in trouble. I wouldn't be able to get away with it.
That's an interesting thought. KY has "open carry", but I don't know how that would translate to water craft.

Cool. I initially thought of CC while on the water to ward-off any snakes that might venture close. I absolutely have a snake phobia. I then thought I would probably end-up putting a hole in my kayak, or worse, if combating an aggressive water snake. I had one chase me years ago while I was canoeing. I could have won the olympics that day I was paddleing so fast, lol.

Anyway, I now carry a Backwater Assault Paddle, conveniently stowed behind my seat. It comes in handy for small station-keeping manuevers while fishing in one spot and the wind might move/rotate you some. It's also sturdy enough to use against "something" that gets too close......if I can't out run it, lol. If you drop it in the drink it floats.

Another fantastic idea. Thank you. Funny story about the snake. I have also had a run in with one. Those things can be nasty when they want to be.

Back