testtest

CWK (Carrying While Kayaking)

I guess my feelings are that unless I kayak in the bush in Alaska that kayaks and firearms don't mix. Being close to 70 my balance not being what it used to I will leave it in the travel safe in the truck. Not wanting to play bobbing for firearms is high priority. 😉 I guess if I thought a firearm was necessary I could lash in my Charter Arms AR-7 .22 (now manufactured by Henry Rifles) that disassembled and fits in the floating stock. 😁

Last edited:
Thanks. If you fast fwd to around the 9:40 time mark in this video, the paddle is briefly shown:
Great video with a lot of good information. I couldnt do cameras though unless I was going to put it on Comedy Central. Always use to be on a bass boat. I have found out very quickly that space is at a premium on a kayak and everything can go overboard rather easily.

I guess my feelings are that unless I kayak in the bush in Alaska that kayaks and firearms don't mix. Being close to 70 my balance not being what it used to I will leave it in the travel safe in the truck. Not wanting to play bobbing for firearms is high priority. 😉 I guess if I thought a firearm was necessary I could lash in my Charter Arms AR-7 .22 (now manufactured by Henry Rifles) that disassembled and fits in the floating stock. 😁
Concur on the balance thing. Although my rig is "standable", I refrain from doing it, lest I end up swimming. Getting ready to order a pistol lanyard, then drill a very small hole in the handle of my XDS9 to attach it to, with other end attached to pfd.

Great video with a lot of good information. I couldnt do cameras though unless I was going to put it on Comedy Central. Always use to be on a bass boat. I have found out very quickly that space is at a premium on a kayak and everything can go overboard rather easily.
Yep, everything of value has a lanyard or foam floats on them. My videos are all within the novice/amateur range.

OK, I just ordered the paddle. I need to stay off this thread. I'm spending money and it feels good. :LOL:
Thanks for all of the info @ScottJ .
👍. You'll like the paddle. I've used it not only for station-keeping duties, but also using the hook feature to "catch" the edge of the dock or cleat to pull the kayak closer when coming alongside the dock, but also to reach out and snag a tree branch or limb sticking up out of the water to stop and fish awhile.

Side note: The paddle was designed by ret'd US Navy survival instructor Ed Halm, who is the founder and owner of Backwater Paddle Company. I recall reading somewhere sometime ago that the first paddle was made from laminated wood.

Paddle came in last night. I opened the box and my wife was rolling her eyes. Then as I was walking by her with it she said, "wait, can I see that? This would have been awesome if I had this when the kids where younger." I might have to lock this up with the guns for my own safety. :LOL:

Paddle came in last night. I opened the box and my wife was rolling her eyes. Then as I was walking by her with it she said, "wait, can I see that? This would have been awesome if I had this when the kids where younger." I might have to lock this up with the guns for my own safety. :LOL:
🤣

Just got the "shells" for a couple of guns that I carry and a pocket expansion pack from Alien Gears sale. Now I just need to find a PFD that it will fit in the pocket. Too bad the one like @ScottJ has is no longer made. Will have to research.

Just got the "shells" for a couple of guns that I carry and a pocket expansion pack from Alien Gears sale. Now I just need to find a PFD that it will fit in the pocket. Too bad the one like @ScottJ has is no longer made. Will have to research.
Checkout the NRS site. Just took a quick peek, and it looks like they may still have some, and price is reduced.

Checkout the NRS site. Just took a quick peek, and it looks like they may still have some, and price is reduced.
Thanks Scott. Looks like all they have is S/M. I would need the L/XL. Will continue my search. Thanks again.

Thank you for that info. Have you ever used this site for anything?
No. It's just the only one I found with the L/XL size pfd, and thought I'd throw it out there as a possible source. I'm personally not one to buy a lot of stuff online that is not from the more known online stores (amazon, etc). As an idea, maybe contact the NRS site and ask if the new Chinook pfd pockets are the same size as the discontinued model?

No. It's just the only one I found with the L/XL size pfd, and thought I'd throw it out there as a possible source. I'm personally not one to buy a lot of stuff online that is not from the more known online stores (amazon, etc). As an idea, maybe contact the NRS site and ask if the new Chinook pfd pockets are the same size as the discontinued model?
Understood about buying online. The one you found is a good price. I made an account and emailed them about it.
Funny, you should mention as I already have an email off to NRS. :) I certainly appreciate your efforts.

Back