testtest

Daffy Zone…..

1970992A-317C-4CC3-936E-A66B62CDC434.jpeg

Seeing this brought back some not so fond memories of something I used to do, or tried to do anyway.

Some few years ago I was still riding a Harley, even at the age of the early 70's. Now I admit I had gone from a big 'Glide' to a much smaller and lighter Sportster that at my age was a lot easier to throw around. It weighed around 560 lbs compared to about 950 lbs for the 'Glide'. I could still ride that Sporty much like I used to ride the bigger bikes when I was in my 30's-50's.

Well anyway, when my step-dad passed away he left me much of his acquired gun collection along with many accessories. One accessory he left me was a hand made saddle scabbard for his scoped hunting rifles he took with him on a few of his guided horseback hunts he took in his later years. It was a beautiful piece of work, nice hand worked leather with more tooling than you could think would fit on that piece of leather. He loved it and so did I.

Several times I had wanted to take my hunting rifles to the range, but also wanted to ride my bike down there. I just didn't think having a high powered rifle slung over my shoulder on a motorcycle would be too good a thing, so I never did. One day while just admiring that scabbard, I thought why the hell not put that on the left side of my Sporty and use it to pack my hunting rifle to the range and back when I wanted to shoot it. It's almost the same thing as putting it on a horse.

Well, I got that scabbard mounted and fitting just right inside my leg, down to the left shifter foot pedal and inside the sissy bar. That brought the stock of the rifle out just behind my hip on the left. Wow! I was really proud of the way it looked and I almost felt like a real cowboy.

On the first day I took it to the range in that configuration, I felt a little weird while riding, but thought it was just because of the different package on my bike. But then I began to realize that at every light or sign I had to stop at, I was being given the real 'once over' by everyone/anyone who could see what I was packing. It was then I remembered some TV news flash from sometime back where some kids had been shot when another driver had seen them flashing a handgun around in the car they were riding in.

Yeh, that'll put the fear of god in you when you really think about it ...... so as soon as I could I turned around and rode directly back to the house stopping only for the lights, but rolling through the signs. I removed the rifle from the scabbard and put it in the back seat of my truck, then removed the scabbard from my bike and put it back in my gun room. I never again considered putting it back on my bike although I truly thought it was a great idea when I did it ...... and it looked so danged cool too!!!!

A little later that day I drove my truck down to the range with the rifle in the back seat where it couldn't be seen, but when I got the rifle out and started setting up, I found I just wasn't in the mood to shoot that day.

True story!

Seeing this brought back some not so fond memories of something I used to do, or tried to do anyway.

Some few years ago I was still riding a Harley, even at the age of the early 70's. Now I admit I had gone from a big 'Glide' to a much smaller and lighter Sportster that at my age was a lot easier to throw around. It weighed around 560 lbs compared to about 950 lbs for the 'Glide'. I could still ride that Sporty much like I used to ride the bigger bikes when I was in my 30's-50's.

Well anyway, when my step-dad passed away he left me much of his acquired gun collection along with many accessories. One accessory he left me was a hand made saddle scabbard for his scoped hunting rifles he took with him on a few of his guided horseback hunts he took in his later years. It was a beautiful piece of work, nice hand worked leather with more tooling than you could think would fit on that piece of leather. He loved it and so did I.

Several times I had wanted to take my hunting rifles to the range, but also wanted to ride my bike down there. I just didn't think having a high powered rifle slung over my shoulder on a motorcycle would be too good a thing, so I never did. One day while just admiring that scabbard, I thought why the hell not put that on the left side of my Sporty and use it to pack my hunting rifle to the range and back when I wanted to shoot it. It's almost the same thing as putting it on a horse.

Well, I got that scabbard mounted and fitting just right inside my leg, down to the left shifter foot pedal and inside the sissy bar. That brought the stock of the rifle out just behind my hip on the left. Wow! I was really proud of the way it looked and I almost felt like a real cowboy.

On the first day I took it to the range in that configuration, I felt a little weird while riding, but thought it was just because of the different package on my bike. But then I began to realize that at every light or sign I had to stop at, I was being given the real 'once over' by everyone/anyone who could see what I was packing. It was then I remembered some TV news flash from sometime back where some kids had been shot when another driver had seen them flashing a handgun around in the car they were riding in.

Yeh, that'll put the fear of god in you when you really think about it ...... so as soon as I could I turned around and rode directly back to the house stopping only for the lights, but rolling through the signs. I removed the rifle from the scabbard and put it in the back seat of my truck, then removed the scabbard from my bike and put it back in my gun room. I never again considered putting it back on my bike although I truly thought it was a great idea when I did it ...... and it looked so danged cool too!!!!

A little later that day I drove my truck down to the range with the rifle in the back seat where it couldn't be seen, but when I got the rifle out and started setting up, I found I just wasn't in the mood to shoot that day.

True story!
Strapping on all that leather just tried you ass out JJ

Back