testtest

Dodge trucks, never mind this RAM B.S.

manual transmissions, no fog lights, and front driving hub keys you had to manually turn when stopped for 4 wheeling
Like these 😆

IMG_1066.jpeg

I prefer old Ford trucks and I have had a bunch. The newest Ford I had was a '96 F350 with the 7.3 Powerstroke and a 5 speed. I loved that truck more than any other truck I ever owned. I also had a '68 with a 390 and a 4 speed, an '88 with a 302 Boss and a 4 speed and if memory serves a '75 with a straight 6 and a 3 speed on the column.

I also had an '89 GMC with a 350 and a '73 Chevy with a small block 400. I currently have the aforementioned Ram and a 2003 GMC with a '327.

So I've had all 3 of the REAL trucks. ;):p

I prefer old Ford trucks and I have had a bunch. The newest Ford I had was a '96 F350 with the 7.3 Powerstroke and a 5 speed. I loved that truck more than any other truck I ever owned. I also had a '68 with a 390 and a 4 speed, an '88 with a 302 Boss and a 4 speed and if memory serves a '75 with a straight 6 and a 3 speed on the column.

I also had an '89 GMC with a 350 and a '73 Chevy with a small block 400. I currently have the aforementioned Ram and a 2003 GMC with a '327.

So I've had all 3 of the REAL trucks. ;):p
I really like the look of the new Tundra, chevy Z71 Trail Boss and the Ford F150 4x4, but I have told myself for 30 years I cant get a new full size 4x4 when I have a perfectly good one out front that I came home in as a young lad 🙂

I really like the look of the new Tundra, chevy Z71 Trail Boss and the Ford F150 4x4, but I have told myself for 30 years I cant get a new full size 4x4 when I have a perfectly good one out front that I came home in as a young lad 🙂
Sad thing is, they don’t make them like the one you got anymore, all electronic crap just to go bad with the newer trucks, I had a Ford F150 4x4 years ago, 300 six cylinder, 4 speed manual, lock in/out hubs, bought it as a work truck, frame eventually broke, but a solid runner.

Last edited:
I can't bring myself to buy a Japanese Truck. My dad had a little Nissan truck that he got over 400k miles out of, but still. Trucks are supposed to be American made. Except the new "American" trucks aren't really all that American. Either made in Mexico or Canada and in any case chock full of Chinese parts. I prefer old trucks and I'd take that 77 of yours over any new truck on the market right now. Even if it didn't have a motor in it.

I can't bring myself to buy a Japanese Truck. My dad had a little Nissan truck that he got over 400k miles out of, but still. Trucks are supposed to be American made. Except the new "American" trucks aren't really all that American. Either made in Mexico or Canada and in any case chock full of Chinese parts. I prefer old trucks and I'd take that 77 of yours over any new truck on the market right now. Even if it didn't have a motor in it.
My ‘15 Tacoma is on 220,000 miles and going as strong as the day I got it

Sad thing is, they don’t make them like the one you got anymore, all electronic crap just to go bad with the newer trucks, I had a Ford F150 4x4 years ago, 300 six cylinder, 4 speed manual, lock in/out hubs, bought it as a work truck, frame eventually broke, but a solid runner.
It's a really hard thing to say here as a confirmed Chevy man for more than 60 years ... but the Ford 300 straight 6 was one of the best engines ever designed for everyday vehicle. Way back in the days of circle track racing we had a class that was called then 'Early models'. Not the typical early models of the day but a local class based on about 3 - 4 local tracks. I don't remember the body years required, but they all had to run straight 6 (300ci) engines. The 300 Ford, with 7 main bearings and steel timing gears instead of belts/chains just ate up the competition due to their high rev'ing ability without detonating. Those damned things would turn so tight about 3/4 the way down the straight on a 1/4 or 3/8 mile oval, they sounded like the pistons were swapping cylinders.

Seems like early 60's model Falcons were the bodies of choice for most of them. But a few ran big bodied Fords with the same 300 power plant. They were still within a split second of lap times of the little lightweight Falcons.

I much prefer the older trucks as well for the durability. But like the newer ones for the conveniences.

I gave up my leased hunting camp a few years back and decided I no longer needed a 4x4 after a long list of them over many years since I didn't go into the woods very much. So I traded my last 4x4 for a really nice 2014 Silverado 1500 Double cab demonstrator with all the options I would have wanted if I had ordered the truck myself. Don't remember how many miles it had when I bought it, but seems something like maybe 1200. The wife and I were thinking about a small TT to do a little traveling but that didn't pan out. At any rate, I still have that 2014 Silverado with a 5.3 LS, 3.42:1 and less than 29,000. Don't even drive it every day, but when the wife and I go out somewhere together we always take my truck and leave her Equinox sitting home.

in the earlier years of my garage times, as the new electronic ignition systems were coming, heat was a major killer of them, under that hood.. vibration too would kill many electronic ignitions..Fords, "thin film" ignition, and thier different color coded plug connections would drive us mechanics crazy....you had to replace a blue module with ONLY another blue connection module, and those days....??

not all parts stores, OR dealerships, had what was needed.

to be fair, toyota tundras are built in the lone star state bass. I've got one, with the real v8, not that newer one. runs like a top, built by americans, not in canada nor mexico.

to be fair, toyota tundras are built in the lone star state bass. I've got one, with the real v8, not that newer one. runs like a top, built by americans, not in canada nor mexico.
yeah, Canadians take "Canadian bacon breaks", not real coffee/smoke breaks.......:eek:

i can't trust any country that calls ham.....bacon...... :unsure:

but to be fair, if i recall, my 1980 and 1986 Chevy's were Canadian built, i just do not know if Canada has more than 1 GM truck plant..

they were both good trucks, way back then.

and yes too, Nissan, Toyota may be Japanese by birth, but they too are made in the USA with (i think) union labor.

so the payroll, taxes, and support industries here, get that money

the profits i'd imagine go back to Japan.

let's face facts too..

back in the "olden days", the American built cars and trucks were losing quality control...Japan produced a better product.

The American factories "partnered" with the Japanese, otherwise had they not, i do believe they would have all folded up.

too many Americans were fed up with the poor quality of the American built back then.

i saw this shift in my garage and at the dealerships i worked at.

As long as my fellow American gets a good income out of making stuff right here, I'm all good with it. btw- isn't it about time we brought back all the MX made autos to the states?

Back