testtest

Double-Action vs. Single-Action vs. Striker-Fired Handguns: What’s the Difference?

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Good explanation of the several types of guns today, good read especially for the new gun owner who is not familiar with the different types that are mentioned

I personally like hammer fired DA/SA (Sigs) or HK LEM more than strikers but so like S&W M&P’s as far as strikers.

I know as carrying and using in use of force applications DA/SA or LEMs cops didn’t shoot people (or themselves in the leg AKA Glock Leg) that they shouldn’t have nearly like they do with striker fired guns.

I also believe the slightly heavier pull on DA guns the grip needed kept people from shooting low and left (right handed shooter) than apparently has been an epidemic since strikers and thumbs forward or high thumbs grips are preached for everyone.

That said all can be solid choices just train around your so you are proficient!

Im with you somorris. da/sa for us also. On a striker fired pistol I have always wondered how people know if the sear is hook real good inside the pistol. if they bump it or drop it will it fire. Wifey carries a bersa thunder and me a makarov. both have hammers and decockers and a safety. The Glocks, smith and wesson etc. are fine if thats what you are into. If anyone here is looking for reasonable priced hand gun check out the bersa.Its 1 of the safest pistols out there. JMHO

Last edited:
Im with you somorris. da/sa for us also. On a striker fired pistol I have always wondered how people know if the sear is hook real good inside the pistol. if they bump it or drop it will it fire. Wifey carries a bersa thunder and me a makarov. both have hammers and decockers and a safety. The Glocks, smith and wesson etc. are fine if thats what you are into.
Strikers are safe HOWEVER the issue with LE was DA revolvers and DA/SA allowed folks to get away with bad handiling skills and not bite them.

Glock came alone with a 5 pound trigger and no hammer any drawstrings/ clothing etc that made it in the holsters folks had issues. Also people had an issue when they used 12-15 pounds of force to holster a gun with a 5 pound trigger pull and BAM

As far as strikers going off in their own they do not it’s always what I mentioned. There is debate on the 320 but the common denominator is holsters cut for WML and stuff again seems to make its way into the side of the holsters.

I know a particular major holster brand has a couple series that has been reported as maybe a suspect by some but I’m not sure if that has been actually proven outright.

Last edited:
I realize that accidental discharges are caused (or mostly caused) by human error, but I am human. I goof up once in a while. I would prefer a little more margin for goofups. than a striker fired pistol provides. But, that’s just me. Probably a little over cautious. :)

A couple things not mentioned

1 Strikers are very durable and you probably won’t have much parts breakage unless you compete or shoot several thousand rounds a year other than a recoil sling. That said strikers are generally very easy to work on. Most armorer courses are only 8 hours and your more of a technician than an armorer I mean you simply replace parts your not fitting anything.
And you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a Glock armed Sig and S&W M&P bit as many but they are there.

2 with most strikers. It is forgiving in that people can treat it like a lot of treat their lawn mower and it keeps shooting.

You can throw it in a bag after shooting it and not worry about it and get it out next time and shoot it more.

You can run it through a 3 day 1,200-1,500 round class and not have to clean it every night (the gun it’s self not talking about a lens on a red dot etc) where a 1911 you should run a rod/snake through and clean some.a DA/SA depends I k ow Sigs are pretty forgiving as well but hammers and such do have more area to catch stuff dependent on environment

YMMV but a general observation I have made

I have one striker pistol, and do not know the defierence, but don't feel the need for a second, next pistol will likely be a EMP 4 inch, kinda got the itch. But a detective sized Hi Power might sneak in.

The article forgot the Unicorn: the DA/SA striker fired pistol. I know there aren’t many, but this one is brilliant.

IMG_7053.jpeg

Started in the 80s with the .38/357 revolver (DA/SA sorta) then my agency went to the Sig 229 DAO....40 cal...I hated it . Then the 226 SA/DA. When I left and went to a new agency we were allowed to carry with what we could qualify on. Started with Glock 19 and Smith and Wesson MP 9 mm. We also used the 1911 .45 acp but the boss wanted more firepower (and I could not get the double stack .45 acp). Now I carry primary...CZ75 Compact. Did a trigger job on it and its awesome. 7 lb DA 3 Lb SA. And my off duty is a HK VP30SK LEM. I prefer DA/SA the HK first shot is a long 5 LB which takes some training. The only time you get the 11 lb DA is for a second try shot.

Back