testtest

Federal Practice & Defend Ammunition Review — 9mm Ammo Combo Packs

At 58 I became a new gun owner, and the question of ammunition was high on my list. After considerable research I pretty much had settled on Federal HST 124 gr. for defensive use when I discovered Practice & Defend 124 gr. pack and decided to give it a try. I am not disappointed at all. Does it cost more than the range's standard practice ammo? A bit, yes. But I like the TSJ to help keep the barrel cleaner and running well, and I appreciate the matched ballistics immensely.

After burning through the 50 Syntech rounds in the Practice & Defend pack, I bought another two 50 rd. boxes of just the TSJ for regular range practice. I found a good everyday deal at an online retailer, so my cost is not much more than a good 124 gr. FMJ from the range (when I can find it there; they seem awash in 115 gr. with only a slim selection of 124 gr.)

I value performance over price (and over appearances), so until something truly better comes along, Syntech is my training ammo of choice.

At 58 I became a new gun owner, and the question of ammunition was high on my list. After considerable research I pretty much had settled on Federal HST 124 gr. for defensive use when I discovered Practice & Defend 124 gr. pack and decided to give it a try. I am not disappointed at all. Does it cost more than the range's standard practice ammo? A bit, yes. But I like the TSJ to help keep the barrel cleaner and running well, and I appreciate the matched ballistics immensely.

After burning through the 50 Syntech rounds in the Practice & Defend pack, I bought another two 50 rd. boxes of just the TSJ for regular range practice. I found a good everyday deal at an online retailer, so my cost is not much more than a good 124 gr. FMJ from the range (when I can find it there; they seem awash in 115 gr. with only a slim selection of 124 gr.)

I value performance over price (and over appearances), so until something truly better comes along, Syntech is my training ammo of choice.
I feel the same way. Until something better comes along I’ll keep using what I’m using. And it’s not Syntech, which is double the price on average for no measurable increase in performance.

Cheers. IMO, you've decided on sound, top tier products that, at present, check all of your boxes. You're ahead on the scorecard!

Welcome from South Texas.

Yeah, they look like lipstick.
those were only teeny 9mm lipstick rounds.

here are my 45 ACP lipstick rounds

1719504455694.png

Hi,

I'm fairly new to gun ownership too. I've been training and practicing regularly and consistently. I'm going on four years with better than average frequency at range, I would say. During the plandemic I had to try lots of different ammo. You never knew what the store would have, or if they would have any at all, plus there were limits, and being in CA it was not condusive to buy online because of the prices, taxes, shipping, FFL fees, and other discouragements. Sometimes I could buy only two or three boxes a week and I would take whatever was on the shelf. I tried a lot of different stuff, even the Syntech 150 grain, which I really liked. In fact, I'm saving a box for that "special" competition since it performed so well through my EDC.

But it's a bit spendy for me to train with every time. I'll shoot 100-150 rounds of 9mm at a practice session at least once a week. During a training class, once a month, I could shoot twice that much. So I stick mainly with the 124 grain S&B and Blazer. I also have several hundred rounds of Winchester NATO, which runs very well.

All that just to say, since I've been doing this for a while now and tried all kinds of training and SD ammo (settling on Speer Gold Dot and Sig V-Crown), this combo pack doesn't have any use for me. I know what runs well in my guns. For others who are still experimenting and trying to decide on their particular favorites, this combo pack could help them decide. That's great. I think it's a good thing, just not for me.

I'll probably pick up a few more boxes of the Total Polymer Jacket when I see a good price. I like the way they shoot. They make even me look like I can hit a target. 🤣

Thanks for hanging out and sharing. You guys are cool.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Welcome to the forum, from west central Minnesota. 😎

Welcome to the forum from the Gunshine State.

i use a variety of ammo for range use, not cheap but good, however the only thing i carry for defensive purposes is federal either hydra shock or hst in all the calibers i carry, (380, 30sc, 9mm, and 40). I am retired leo and we ran tests with ammo long ago and federal had the best results. federal came out with a load specifically for the hellcat i did get a box of it but dont carry it because it is in the punch line, and from testing the hydra shock and hst are best

Back