testtest

Fightin’ Iron: The Return

The original Centennials, with a grip safety, are some of the nicest shooting J-frames out there...triggers are incredibly smooth, and lighter than normal.

I have one that someone converted to a “Fitz Special”—cut away the front of the trigger guard. I’d never carry it in today’s litigious society, but when you look at the wear...it was used, and used well; it’s a true gunfighter’s gun.

I’m still thinking about a backup gun and it’s threads like this that keep stoking that fire. Still need to research more on ankle holsters.

I dug this out and cleaned it the other day. Need to shoot it more.
56D8199C-EDB1-46F4-A29E-1C2504D9845C.jpeg

Last edited:
Thats a really nice S&W, what Model is it?
I didn’t find it until after my dad passed away, didn’t even know he owned it.
Finding out the model I’ll leave up to the experts, oh wait that’s you guys. 😁

So the markings on the gun.....
Barrel has Smith&Wesson on one side -
Airweight 38 SPL CTG on the other side.

On the frame above and forward of the triggerguard
9CF7ABE7-0654-4E9F-AE22-F917218E76FA.jpeg

And yes 5 shot.
D - series

Last edited:
Well, then it just comes down to when it was made, and what the frame is made of.

Pretty sure it’s a steel frame, which would make it a “Chief’s Special”, or, if made after the early 1950’s, a Model 36.

If it’s an alloy frame, it’s a “Chief’s Special Airweight”, or a Model 37.

Well, then it just comes down to when it was made, and what the frame is made of.

Pretty sure it’s a steel frame, which would make it a “Chief’s Special”, or, if made after the early 1950’s, a Model 36.

If it’s an alloy frame, it’s a “Chief’s Special Airweight”, or a Model 37.
According to a website I found it says
Manufacture date is late 73 early 74
S&W website says serial number not valid for user inquiry???
I want to say a search I did back when I found it was a Detective Special.

Look up that model on the innerweb....for one, it’s not made anymore.....try reading this

Again awesome. The end of the article talks about the model 12 (K) frame is a 6 shot but mine is a 5?
Oh crap I take that back it’s a 6 shot. 🤦‍♂️
Senior moment 😂😂😂

Back