testtest

Fightin’ Iron: The Return

He looked, it’s a model 12-2
Yeah sorry guys really wasn’t paying attention to that so feel kinda stupid 🤪
So I just finished watching a few YouTube videos and I’m soooooo glad I stopped shooting +P through it. Need to find some really light loads to see how it shoots.
It’s definitely NOT in mint condition, it has multiple worn areas and the grip on the right side is badly worn and scratched up. Would LOVE to find new or newer grips to put on it.
So anyway this is why I love this forum, I found out more about this gun in 3 hours then I knew in the 25+ years I’ve had it in my possession. You guys are GREAT!!!!

So now I’m looking at new revolvers that can handle a 38+P load, with your experience what do you prefer?
S&W or Colt? I like the shorter 2” barrel.
I also found grips for my gun at a company called (Altamont) I worked with them on special projects when I worked for Mossberg. They do beautiful work.
Most revolvers in .357 will take .38 specials and +P

Yeah sorry guys really wasn’t paying attention to that so feel kinda stupid 🤪
So I just finished watching a few YouTube videos and I’m soooooo glad I stopped shooting +P through it. Need to find some really light loads to see how it shoots.
It’s definitely NOT in mint condition, it has multiple worn areas and the grip on the right side is badly worn and scratched up. Would LOVE to find new or newer grips to put on it.
So anyway this is why I love this forum, I found out more about this gun in 3 hours then I knew in the 25+ years I’ve had it in my possession. You guys are GREAT!!!!

I wouldn’t worry about occasional +P. That’s more of a concern for the very first Model 12’s, aka “Aircrew Model” that had aluminum cylinders...yours has a steel cylinder, and will be fine with big-name commercial 38+P, as they are barely warmer than commercial .38 loads used to be.

I wouldn’t put any DoubleTap or Buffalo Bore, etc, +P loads through it, though.

I had one of these, nearly identical to yours, for a while. They’re nice shooters.

Just an FYI—IF I'm remembering correctly, yours is a slightly more unusual model, in that you have a square butt (as opposed to round)...not very common on a snub offering. But not a rare model, either.

Last edited:
So now I’m looking at new revolvers that can handle a 38+P load, with your experience what do you prefer?
S&W or Colt? I like the shorter 2” barrel.
I also found grips for my gun at a company called (Altamont) I worked with them on special projects when I worked for Mossberg. They do beautiful work.

I really like J-frames (S&W) for carry, I do. My most common carry pistols are either a 640 Pro, a 442, a 351PD or a 43C...often more than one for a “New York reload“.

My new model Colt Night Cobra had disappointing accuracy...but my older, second-model Cobra is pretty dang nice; just too nice to carry.

The S&W's are smaller and lighter than the new Colt offerings...the Cobra models aren't a lot smaller than that Model 12 you have.

Don’t get me wrong—I love the Ponies, but for a carry snub revolver...S&W is the gold standard.

I wouldn’t worry about occasional +P. That’s more of a concern for the very first Model 12’s, aka “Aircrew Model” that had aluminum cylinders...yours has a steel cylinder, and will be fine with big-name commercial 38+P, as they are barely warmer than commercial .38 loads used to be.

I wouldn’t put any DoubleTap or Buffalo Bore, etc, +P loads through it, though.

I had one of these, nearly identical to yours, for a while. They’re nice shooters.

Just an FYI—IF I'm remembering correctly, yours is a slightly more unusual model, in that you have a square butt (as opposed to round)...not very common on a snub offering. But not a rare model, either.
It is square butt which I like, I feel it fills my hand.

I really like J-frames (S&W) for carry, I do. My most common carry pistols are either a 640 Pro, a 442, a 351PD or a 43C...often more than one for a “New York reload“.

My new model Colt Night Cobra had disappointing accuracy...but my older, second-model Cobra is pretty dang nice; just too nice to carry.

The S&W's are smaller and lighter than the new Colt offerings...the Cobra models aren't a lot smaller than that Model 12 you have.

Don’t get me wrong—I love the Ponies, but for a carry snub revolver...S&W is the gold standard.
And priced like they are made of Gold.
I’m confident I’ll find something but I’m in no rush.

If I was going to get a S&W snubby, this would be my first choice, now this is just list price, comes with full moon clips, but you don’t have to use them, though, you would have faster reload times using them in a crisis situation.

Moon clips are nice, but not easy to carry...they don’t just slip in your pocket. You pretty much need a speed loader pouch or similar for them...

My 640 Pro is cut for them as well.

Back