testtest

Fixed Blade vs. Folding Knife for EDC?

I carry a fixed blade a lot of the time, sized depending on what I'm doing. A small fixie for EDC rides easily with a clip sheath in the front pocket, when I'm not choosing to carry a folder that day. In the field I'm generally carrying at least a 4" fixed blade.

While I like folders for daily admin tasks, but I don't consider them a good choice for anything defense related.

I have carried some version of the CRKT "combat folder" like the M21-14DSFG or the M16-14SF for these last 15 years of deployments. The combo of value (under 200) and what they can do, is great. I like that you get a hilt of sorts when they are open and you can get a variety of serrations plus my fav, the Tanto tip... they are great tools.

I use to carry folders, but now I only EDC a fixed blade. A U.S. manufactured Kershaw 1080 with Sandvik 14C28N steel. I typically keep it in a sheath in my weak-side side or back pocket mainly for gun grab purposes. 2 3/8 inch blade, so it's legal to carry in most places including public schools.

1700865349375.png

1700865377165.png

I like the daggers because no matter how you grab them there's a cutting edge. I don't doubt daggers are illegal in a lot of states, not so in Texas.
Yes, they are illegal to conceal carry in my state even for those who can legally conceal carry a handgun or even an AK or AR pistol. Makes absolutely no sense. One would think the 2nd Amendment applies to more than just firearms; otherwise, they would have explicitly state "right to bare firearms."

Yes, they are illegal to conceal carry in my state even for those who can legally conceal carry a handgun or even an AK or AR pistol. Makes absolutely no sense. One would think the 2nd Amendment applies to more than just firearms; otherwise, they would have explicitly state "right to bare firearms."
Yeah I don't get it. In Missouri switchblades and the like were illegal until 2012 when democrat governor Jay Nixon signed a bill repealing the law against automatic knives. Even so, when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s we routinely bought switchblades from flea markets and carried them and I can't recall ever hearing about anyone getting in trouble for it. What the deal is with outlawing dagger blades I can't understand. It makes no sense. Other than I guess the fact that they aren't that good for anything except stabbing.

I carry a folder of some type; a Chris Reeves Sebenza if I’m feeling fancy, or a Benchmade HK…a cheap Kershaw assisted at work…

Weapon use is the furthest thing on my mind with them; I’m going to use them for cutting open boxes, or peeling an orange, or any other mundane use…not use it as a weapon.

I carry a folder of some type; a Chris Reeves Sebenza if I’m feeling fancy, or a Benchmade HK…a cheap Kershaw assisted at work…

Weapon use is the furthest thing on my mind with them; I’m going to use them for cutting open boxes, or peeling an orange, or any other mundane use…not use it as a weapon.

Absolutely. A knife is a poor weapon to begin with. It is a damn fine tool though.

Back