testtest

Flash hider vs. Blast diverter

Thank you both for the answers!
That makes sense.

Although, I don't have the budget to get a suppressor.

This will be my first AR. I plan on getting a 10.5" pistol. Home defense "subsonic rounds" and supper sonic hunting and other uses. I think the blast diverter will be preferably in the supper sonic role.

Any body have any experience with this duel role ammo?

There are many options for folks to choose from regarding muzzle brakes so a manufacturer will go the simple route and put a standard flash hider on.

My experience with the 300BO Victor Pistol “Recently sold” was the gun runs flawlessly on Supersonic rounds however is very finicky with Subsonic Rounds due to the combination of the heavier round moving slower down the Barrel as well as the shorter barrel and shorter gas tube not allowing the heavier round to build up enough pressure before the bullet leaves the barrel to cycle the BCG completely. This situation is correctable with the gas block being adjustable but that is also a finicky process.
Don’t get me wrong the gun was a blast to shoot, and the above was passed along to the guns new owner and he was ok with it.
A side note is the above was NOT the reason for selling the gun but my desire to limit the amount of different calibers I needed to focus on stocking. Currently down to 5.56 and .308 for my AR’s

Thank you both for the answers!
That makes sense.

Although, I don't have the budget to get a suppressor.

This will be my first AR. I plan on getting a 10.5" pistol. Home defense "subsonic rounds" and supper sonic hunting and other uses. I think the blast diverter will be preferably in the supper sonic role.

Any body have any experience with this duel role ammo?

My buddy hunts with a home-built .300BO; he used to do the same (subs for defense, super for hunting) before he bought a can.

His biggest gripe was having to replace the gas block with an adjustable when switching...and having to retune it every time.

My buddy hunts with a home-built .300BO; he used to do the same (subs for defense, super for hunting) before he bought a can.

His biggest gripe was having to replace the gas block with an adjustable when switching...and having to retune it every time.
Exactly. Springfield Armory built an incredible AR with the Victor 300BO Pistol it just has it’s quirks which can be worked with. I will say this that my current and only AR15 (Pistol) is the Edge in 5.56 and although the gas block is also adjustable it eats EVERYTHING I put through it without objection with no gas block adjustment needed. My AR10 in .308? Well that’s just a beast, I love to shoot that gun. My shoulder doesn’t. LOL

Exactly. Springfield Armory built an incredible AR with the Victor 300BO Pistol it just has it’s quirks which can be worked with. I will say this that my current and only AR15 (Pistol) is the Edge in 5.56 and although the gas block is also adjustable it eats EVERYTHING I put through it without objection with no gas block adjustment needed. My AR10 in .308? Well that’s just a beast, I love to shoot that gun. My shoulder doesn’t. LOL
Great information to know "before" buying. Dwell time is very important when choosing shorter barrel lengths.
I will re-think this issue before making my final decision.

Once he got a can, he actually got rid of the DI system altogether, and went piston. Now, it’s just a quick click between them.

Plus, no gas to the face anymore, either.

Great information to know "before" buying. Dwell time is very important when choosing shorter barrel lengths.
I will re-think this issue before making my final decision.

You hear a couple things on Dwell Time, some of those being, the chamber pressure is zero before extraction happens so there is no stress on any parts. It’s referred to the time the bullet is in the barrel, after the gas port. It is the time that your gas operated weapon maintains pressure to continue cycling the weapon. It happens when the bullet passes the gas port to the time the bullet exits the muzzle.

Dwell time is different with different rifles, 10.5/11.5, 14.5, 16, 18, 20” length AR’s. There is so much you can do with the AR, change the gas block, the buffers change out the BCG.

Back