testtest

Hellcat and Red dot

Dr. Jim

Operator
What about the Hellcat OSP paired up with the Holoson 507k? Anybody got this pair and if so, whatta ya say??

Ok, what about ANY micro red dot on this pistol?? Howz it working for you??
I have the Shield RMSc and the SMSc coming. They look good and easy to use. The zero is kinda a pain but once you get it it’s worth it.

Btw a member in the following group has been posting pictures of his Holoson 507k lately.

I think I remember seeing something to the effect the Holoson 507k weighs a little over 1.5 oz's. If that's the case, then it's way heavier than SA recommends for the Hellcat. The recommendation is for a sight in the .5 oz range. I may be wrong but I'm thinking that's the way it is.

I currently have a SMSc on my Hellcat and love it. My only complaint, if there is one, is that the SMSc is always on. But, the battery (a 2032 IIRC) is supposed to last about 2,000 hrs. I've not had it long enough to verify that yet, but I can say the dot is plenty bright/clear even in the sun. I see it as money well spent.

Just something to ponder y'all!!!

regards,
jumpinjoe

I think I remember seeing something to the effect the Holoson 507k weighs a little over 1.5 oz's. If that's the case, then it's way heavier than SA recommends for the Hellcat. The recommendation is for a sight in the .5 oz range. I may be wrong but I'm thinking that's the way it is.

I currently have a SMSc on my Hellcat and love it. My only complaint, if there is one, is that the SMSc is always on. But, the battery (a 2032 IIRC) is supposed to last about 2,000 hrs. I've not had it long enough to verify that yet, but I can say the dot is plenty bright/clear even in the sun. I see it as money well spent.

regards,
jumpinjoe

L
regards,
jumpinjoe
Thanks for the reply JJ. I just c & p ed this from the Optics Planet website description of the 507k:
0.95 in
Height:0.98 in
Weight:1 oz

I hate to be a dumbass about anything but if you don't know, you don't know............will I need to buy any adapter or anything else to mount a Holoson 507k on my on-the-way Hellcat OSP?? Thanks.

I hate to be a dumbass about anything but if you don't know, you don't know............will I need to buy any adapter or anything else to mount a Holoson 507k on my on-the-way Hellcat OSP?? Thanks.
I don’t believe so I believe the footprint matches without an adapter. I may be wrong tho.

I'm pretty sure I also read somewhere that the footprint was the same as the RMSc and the SMSc. Should mount directly without any adapters, BUT, beware the length of the mounting screws. That screw length on the Hellcat is pretty critical due to the thickness/thinness of the Hellcat's slide. I'm thinking SA recommends not more than .095" of screw extending below the bottom of the mounting plate. Survey the screws provided with the Holoson carefully before putting them in.

Also note that just above that Dr. Jim did a C/P from Holoson's site and it shows the 506K at 1.0 oz. Somewhere I seem to remember it was some heavier than that, but this is probably more accurate since I can't remember where I think I remember seeing it. I'm thinking that may be about twice the SA recommended weight for any sight on the Hellcat. Just be careful. It would be a shame to tear up either your new Hellcat or your new Holoson sight.

Best of luck with your new toys!!

BTW, they say the memory is one of the first two things to go ...... and I can't remember what the second one was!!! ;)

regards,
jumpinjoe

I'm pretty sure I also read somewhere that the footprint was the same as the RMSc and the SMSc. Should mount directly without any adapters, BUT, beware the length of the mounting screws. That screw length on the Hellcat is pretty critical due to the thickness/thinness of the Hellcat's slide. I'm thinking SA recommends not more than .095" of screw extending below the bottom of the mounting plate. Survey the screws provided with the Holoson carefully before putting them in.

Also note that just above that Dr. Jim did a C/P from Holoson's site and it shows the 506K at 1.0 oz. Somewhere I seem to remember it was some heavier than that, but this is probably more accurate since I can't remember where I think I remember seeing it. I'm thinking that may be about twice the SA recommended weight for any sight on the Hellcat. Just be careful. It would be a shame to tear up either your new Hellcat or your new Holoson sight.

Best of luck with your new toys!!

BTW, they say the memory is one of the first two things to go ...... and I can't remember what the second one was!!! ;)

regards,
jumpinjoe
Thanks JJ. I saw a FB video put out by Holoson. Rear lugs on HC slide ground down flush and front lugs ground down half way. I wonder will OEM plate be OK if a dude doesn't like the 507k and wants stock HC again??

Wow, I just don't know how to answer you on this. I didn't have to do any mods (grinding or other) when mounting my SMSc. So anything I told you would be a guess on my part and I try not to do that. Maybe somebody else here has experienced that.

regards,
jumpinjoe

Personally I wouldn’t do any mods to the HC like that. Provided you wanted to go back to stock you’d have to spend a lot of money and probably have to send it to the mothership for repair. Not to mention when you mod it like that I’m almost certain you void any warranty the HC has.

Thanks guys......when it comes in I'm gonna shoot it and enjoy it and if somebody makes a red dot optic that fits the HC WITHOUT modification and if I still have more money than sense then I may get one.

Thanks for the reply JJ. I just c & p ed this from the Optics Planet website description of the 507k:
0.95 in
Height:0.98 in
Weight:1 oz
Hey Dr. Jim, I just ran across the Holoson advertisement I had seen that led me to believe it weighed 1.5 ozs. The ad had it listed at .1 lb. Now I never was much of a mathematician, but I always thought that little decimal point indicated 1/10th of whatever we were talking about. So, I calculated the sight weighed about 1/10th of a pound, or 1.6 ozs. Sorry for the confusion, just wanted you to know I wasn't deliberately leading you wrong.

At any rate, let us know how it all works out. I'm sure you'll love your new Hellcat ..... I sure did love mine.

regards,
jumpinjoe

Hey Dr. Jim, I just ran across the Holoson advertisement I had seen that led me to believe it weighed 1.5 ozs. The ad had it listed at .1 lb. Now I never was much of a mathematician, but I always thought that little decimal point indicated 1/10th of whatever we were talking about. So, I calculated the sight weighed about 1/10th of a pound, or 1.6 ozs. Sorry for the confusion, just wanted you to know I wasn't deliberately leading you wrong.

At any rate, let us know how it all works out. I'm sure you'll love your new Hellcat ..... I sure did love mine.

regards,
jumpinjoe
Thanks JJ, I never for a moment thot you were leading me in the wrong direction. Everybody on this forum (far as I can tell) is super cool.

I have the Shield RMSc and the SMSc coming. They look good and easy to use. The zero is kinda a pain but once you get it it’s worth it.
KLG, I wish you would straighten my old a$$ out......what is the difference between a RMSc and the SMSc?? And, I think I see where the RMS has a side battery compartment which lets you put in a new battery WITHOUT removal of the sight. Does the slimmer compacts have a side battery drawer?? Thanks.

KLG, I wish you would straighten my old a$$ out......what is the difference between a RMSc and the SMSc?? And, I think I see where the RMS has a side battery compartment which lets you put in a new battery WITHOUT removal of the sight. Does the slimmer compacts have a side battery drawer?? Thanks.
From what I’ve read one is aluminum body and one is polymer.

The RMSc is an aluminum bodied unit and has capability of battery replacement without removing the sight. The SMSc is some kind of polymer and has to be removed to replace the battery. That may or may not be an issue for some, for me it was not a deal breaker since once the sight is replaced on the slide it's a simple matter of alighning the red dot with the front iron sight ..... and even easier if you have a 9mm chamber laser. And the battery is supposed to have a life of about 2,000 hours even without an on/off switch.

The SMSc cost was about $200 less IIRC, and I just thought I could buy a lot of batteries for that $200. I saw it as a slight trade off for the savings to simply replace the battery during a good gun cleaning.

regards,
jumpinjoe

Back