testtest

Help

Looks to me like it may possibly be military. The stamping shows it was patented on Jan 24, 1965. Then I would guess the next two dates are issue dates and the last three are when it was reissued. I’m not military, but can’t think of any other reason for this to have that many dates and reference to it being “reissued”. Just a guess on my part.

Check for any other markings.
That’s normal for an antique.

Not a typo, didn’t even consider 1865, lol. If it’s 1865, it’s definitely worth some money. And don’t worry about a serial number in that case. Pretty sure firearms manufactured prior to 1900 don’t require serial numbers or the usual paperwork that modern firearms do. I’d definitely take that to an antique dealer and get it appraised.
Not that much.

$300-500, max.

On second look, it’s more likely a S&W 4th Model top break.

The patent years are normal marks for all of S&W’s offerings; this is not a military model (outside of some #3’s in .45 Schofield, the military never adopted the top break S&W.).

There may be a serial number on the butt of the pistol...but, not all antique pistols had them. Pretty sure S&W did, though. Need more complete pictures to get more info.

Again, however, this should not be fired without a thorough inspection by a gunsmith.

Ty i think when i saw it 2 years ago it had a scratched serial number i will get it friday and check it out. If it is the case then maybe he cant sell it. And definetly wont try to shoot it until a gunsmith checks it out

On second look, it’s more likely a S&W 4th Model top break.

The patent years are normal marks for all of S&W’s offerings; this is not a military model (outside of some #3’s in .45 Schofield, the military never adopted the top break S&W.).

There may be a serial number on the butt of the pistol...but, not all antique pistols had them. Pretty sure S&W did, though. Need more complete pictures to get more info.

Again, however, this should not be fired without a thorough inspection by a gunsmith.
Sounds like you’d know more than me. My post was pure speculation.

Serial number on bottom of pistol grips looks like somebody trid to get rid of it. But i also found a serial number on the cylinder that looks like it might match the scratched one. I think its 84176

No caliber on barrel D4177D1A-61DA-448D-9713-857F8103EE05.jpeg2B118A11-76E6-48DB-B956-856CD47026D5.jpeg69B3D140-ED54-419D-B169-768149315057.jpeg

This was my grandfather’s. It’s a S&W 38 Hammerless Safety from 1906-‘07.
IF you decide you want to shoot your Lemon Squeezer, a gun smith is a MUST (and not super expensive, just find one that has worked on top breaks before). The top break’s were made from several different types of metal over the years and some don’t hold up well or have been abused by improper loads and or the breaks have become damaged.
-IF- a smith ok’s it, the proper loads are Remington Performance Wheelgun. Since it’s smaller than a 9mm you’re 32S&W SKU 22206. These are loaded to the lower pressure required for the older guns.
1720D9BA-4579-408A-9D9D-7825F22183D4.jpeg
616FE2AC-BE91-4154-B602-833D9E837AF3.jpeg

Thank you definetly gonna have a gunsmith look it over for sure. It was in a friends family and him and i dont know much But all you guys have been helpful

Back