testtest

How Much Does Grain Weight Matter When It Comes To Self Defense Ammo?

1622821037075.jpeg

Firearms, and most things firearms related, are all about compromises. Power vs controllability, mass vs velocity, expansion vs penetration, cost vs budget.

Each of these issues are and have been debated endlessly. In the case of defensive ammunition, projectile design is every bit as important as it is in elephant, lion, leopard, pig or deer hunting.

In the case of self-defense ammunition, the main interest is in reaching vital organs and disrupting skeletal, pulmonary and circulatory systems in order to stop an imminent threat as soon as possible (OK, I guess I’ll have to use it…” existential threat”); however, our zeal for doing damage to the intended target should not be extended to unintended targets beyond through over penetration.

This is the primary reason, regardless of caliber or manufacturer, limiting penetration by the use of expanding projectiles has become the focus of so much research and continues unabated.

I see in many forums, magazine articles, and television programs how popular the AR platform has become as a home defense solution. Over penetration is the main concern I have in using the rifle or carbine. Yes, the platform makes a handy, lightweight package that virtually any adult or teenager can learn to use well with only brief training; however, the temptation to use inexpensive military ammunition in this application could represent a threat not only the intended target but those unintended targets in another room, outside the home or an unsuspecting neighbor sitting in his Barcalounger, drinking beer, watching Active Self Protection on YouTube…like me!

Please, if you are contemplating using the AR in the home defense role, get ammunition intended for home defense use.

The same applies to full metal jacketed pistol rounds and things like the 44 Magnum, 12-gauge slugs and the trusty lever action 30-30s. Get the correct ammo designed for this application.

Sorry, I got on my soap box and just couldn’t seem to shut up.

It does, but the question is how the shooter & firearms feels about it.

By the bye:

“Grain Weight” is like saying “Ounce Weight” when talking about steaks...sounds kinda silly.
I had issues with the mixing of standards of measurement (i.e. weighing projectiles in grams and then calculations of velocity in feet per second, then producing energy calculations in meter/kg???).
I like all my apples to be apples and my oranges to be oranges.
No, I'm not a "fruitist".
The measurement of the grain unit is decidedly not metric. If you are gonna use math, it would be much easier for the dolts among us to stick with one common unit.

So how about a lighter bullet that makes a big hole?

View attachment 17960
At least there would be little chance of over penetration...assuming the impact velocity did not destroy the projectile initially. My concern would be regarding adequate penetration. Light/low mass projectiles of large diameter don't typically penetrate well.
This has been proven repeatedly on game animals receiving a high velocity projectiles that literally explode on impact generating a large surface wound while the animal escapes or continues its attack (not good in either case).

I would also have questions regarding the pistol's functionality as the ignition impulse would seem to be quite different than that of 185 grain plus projectiles in the 45.
I would look to reputable ammunition manufacturers with long standing reputations for performance and quality when choosing a self defense load.
Make sure this actually works in your handgun before carrying it as an everyday load.
It may be a fun load for shooting plastic liter bottles.
Of course, I don't want to be shot with this (or anything else for that matter) for penetration testing.

Check out Paul Harrel on YouTube and his "meat target" for demonstrating self defense ammo.

Back