testtest

How much play (slop, wobble) should there be between a Saint upper and lower?

Sabo

Alpha
Hello everyone. How much play (slop, wobble) should there be between a Saint upper and lower?

I never noticed any play between my Saint Edge upper and lower when I got it a few months ago. Unfortunately, I had to send it in to Springfield Armory to have the lower replaced due to faulty quick disconnect mounts. When it came back I started hearing clicking and feeling wobble when handling it. I understand there can be some play between AR uppers and lowers. Especially when building them. And I'm new to ARs so maybe my expectations are just off. But I feel like there should be better fitment in a Saint than what I've got right now. I recorded a video to share but I guess you can't upload videos directly to the forum so I'll attach a few pictures. The pictures aren't a good representation of the wobble but probably better than nothing.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or insight.

Attachments

• Edge Tight.jpg
    Edge Tight.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 298
  • Edge Loose.jpg
    Edge Loose.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 293
Here's an Accu wedge from Midway USA. The wedge goes between the upper and lower to tighten them up. Different manufacturers use these types of wedges in their factory new rifles including the Sig VTac AR-15 I currently own. You can install the wedge in under 2-mins without any tools needed.

Accu wedge install video.

Hello everyone. How much play (slop, wobble) should there be between a Saint upper and lower?

I never noticed any play between my Saint Edge upper and lower when I got it a few months ago. Unfortunately, I had to send it in to Springfield Armory to have the lower replaced due to faulty quick disconnect mounts. When it came back I started hearing clicking and feeling wobble when handling it. I understand there can be some play between AR uppers and lowers. Especially when building them. And I'm new to ARs so maybe my expectations are just off. But I feel like there should be better fitment in a Saint than what I've got right now. I recorded a video to share but I guess you can't upload videos directly to the forum so I'll attach a few pictures. The pictures aren't a good representation of the wobble but probably better than nothing.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or insight.
Take off the pistol grip, be careful of the small springs. Use a long Allen wrench to tighten up the set screw. Be careful about tightening it up to much that you can’t push out the take down pin. Reinstall the pistol grip. Again watch out for the small springs.
This information is in your owners manual.
Welcome to the forum from Kentucky.

Take off the pistol grip, be careful of the small springs. Use a long Allen wrench to tighten up the set screw. Be careful about tightening it up to much that you can’t push out the take down pin. Reinstall the pistol grip. Again watch out for the small springs.
This information is in your owners manual.
Welcome to the forum from Kentucky.
Great advice!

I will add that when loosening the grip screw keep light pressure down on the grip and when the screw is free, slowly lift off the grip to not have springs flying.

Here's a video below on how to tighten your Accu screw in your Saint Edge.

Last edited:
I’ve always found that any “slop” between the upper & lower to be a non-issue, except in the head of the user. One of my favorite AR’s—a preban Colt CAR—has slop like you won’t believe, but still shoots 1.5” off the bench, and outshot a “matched set” upper & lower with no slop that I had.

I abhor accu-wedges…because I had one disintegrate and lock up a rifle. Never will touch one again.

Seriously..if it shoots well, don’t sweat the slop.

I’ve always found that any “slop” between the upper & lower to be a non-issue, except in the head of the user. One of my favorite AR’s—a preban Colt CAR—has slop like you won’t believe, but still shoots 1.5” off the bench, and outshot a “matched set” upper & lower with no slop that I had.

I abhor accu-wedges…because I had one disintegrate and lock up a rifle. Never will touch one again.

Seriously..if it shoots well, don’t sweat the slop.

^ This, @Sabo , is where I am, too. I provided a lot of details as to why in my response (post #5) to the OP in this thread:

The Chad Albrecht and the late William Larson are/were among the most well-respected SMEs of the DI AR15 platform, with many enthusiasts and industry professionals both seeking out and hosting their classes. They both dislike(d) the Accu-Wedge as well as the "tensioning screw" mechanisms to varying degrees. You'll see why they think/thought what do/did, in that follow-up post of mine.

In that follow-up post, you'll also see what is considered acceptable play in the upper/lower fit, as well as how to gauge it (this is one that you can do with a simple and inexpensive feeler gauge).

Hey guys, please forgive me if thiswro spot to ask, I need to get the pistol grip off my newly purchased saint to get the slop out but I can’t figure out how pop open the door of the grip with out doing damage, the owners manual is useless, please forgive me for asking a dumb question

Hey guys, please forgive me if thiswro spot to ask, I need to get the pistol grip off my newly purchased saint to get the slop out but I can’t figure out how pop open the door of the grip with out doing damage, the owners manual is useless, please forgive me for asking a dumb question
If its the bcm squeeze the sides and the door will pop open

Picture ?

Back