testtest

How the military used to train to shoot a 1911

Sgt MajorPlumley was trained that way

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 59
Reminds me of how we cadets were trained to shoot revolvers in the academy by former military firearms instructors.

Last edited:
Oh it works obviously, but it is not the best 1911 two handed hold.

Lets let the 1911 bounce upward

I know your former military and trained that way, but the military doesnt train that hold and have not for a long time for a reason
I entered active duty as a USAF policeman in 1969. We were not using the old hold techniques by then but were using the FBI combat course and PPC with our revolvers. Those of course are now obsolete as well. I think the techniques we see in the film were based upon competitive target concepts that were obsolete even when we went to Vietnam but were still being taught by senior cadre.

I entered active duty as a USAF policeman in 1969. We were not using the old hold techniques by then but were using the FBI combat course and PPC with our revolvers. Those of course are now obsolete as well. I think the techniques we see in the film were based upon competitive target concepts that were obsolete even when we went to Vietnam but were still being taught by senior cadre.
I figured with the beard you and @Old_Me fought side by side in the trenches of France in The Great War with the 1911 😉😜🤠

I use to use the two thumbs forward grip now I use the traditional revolver grip on everything . It seem to me I hold the gun firmer works for me
with a weaker back that i have, i also use the same grip.

standing steady is a wee bit difficult, so i also do a somewhat modified Weaver stance.....that is, my right foot, is more pointed out to the right, than what's in this picture.

this i found, gives me the best stability.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another problem with the Weaver is that movement while attempting to maintain the bladed position is awkward and problematic. Additionally, post shooting studies have shown that the majority of Weaver shooters reverted to a form of the Isosceles Stance during actual shootings.

weaver3__1_.jpg

and i hold my modified stance all the way thru, and do not "revert back" to the Isosceles.

The Weaver stance was seen as a means of better controlling recoil back when LE agencies were using heavy recoiling magnum revolvers. It works well for that. It was taught as integral to the bladed stance for facing a suspect, a good position to use unarmed and non-lethal weapon defense as well as a shooting position. There was a time when it was taught in every police academy and it replaced older techniques based on FBI doctrine. I believe Gunsite still teaches it. I was taught that way and still use it and it really does mitigate recoil for quicker follow on shots. With 9mm semi auto handguns nowadays recoil is not as much a concern.

On analysis, shooting position in combat is where your feet happen to be when the shooting starts. Keep in mind the rule of 3's. If you can get a good stance, preferably behind cover, great. But you don't get to hit the gunfight pause button while you get into your patent position. What is most important is that you have a stable shooting platform that allows you to hit and move out of the kill zone, whatever name you choose to give it.

In Vietnam all members of my tank unit carried 1911's. Policy was not to have a chambered round and getting caught carrying cocked and locked would probably get you in a jam. I always had a round chambered. The old flap holsters made a quick draw very difficult. A lot of guys carried an issued shoulder holster. With all the gear we carried I did not use one. Vietnamese vendors produced a almost old west rig without a flap and had cartridge loops. The safety strap was designed to keep your pistol secure. The loops were useless for the mag fed 1911. Vendors also made mag carriers. I wish I had brought one of the rigs home.

In Vietnam all members of my tank unit carried 1911's. Policy was not to have a chambered round and getting caught carrying cocked and locked would probably get you in a jam. I always had a round chambered. The old flap holsters made a quick draw very difficult. A lot of guys carried an issued shoulder holster. With all the gear we carried I did not use one. Vietnamese vendors produced a almost old west rig without a flap and had cartridge loops. The safety strap was designed to keep your pistol secure. The loops were useless for the mag fed 1911. Vendors also made mag carriers. I wish I had brought one of the rigs home.

A kid on my truck was deployed in Afghanistan in 2016-2017. He was an MP. He said most of the guys bought cheap, knock off holsters from Afghan shop keepers because they were way more useful than the crap they were issued.

Back