testtest

How To Use Iron Sights

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Decent article on how to use iron sights

Thanks, Anni. When going over sight alignment, the author describes setting the sights so the point of impact is at the top of the front sight. That is how I have always aligned my sights, but I have read self defense articles that say the front sight should be right over the point of impact. I’m not sure which is exactly correct, but it seems to me the “on top of the front sight” works better because you can still see the target. I guess I need to get out a table and sandbags and find out for sure where my favorite handgun is set. Although, at self defense distances it probably doesn’t matter, I like to at least try to be precise in my shooting. We used to have impromptu contests when I was much younger.

good review. Loved the pic of the gold bead shotgun, had a few of those. Todays often have red insert, fiber optic or something else. I was taught to learn to use iron sights bc that may be all you have one day. Scope/modern powered sights can run out of battery power or stop working, get out of alignment, cloud up, crack etc.

IMG_2827.jpeg

IMG_2828.jpeg
IMG_2826.jpeg

I find this video very informative-

For Pistol shooting he has a 6 part video series

Brian Zins is an incredibly accomplished pistol shooter, with over 30 NRA precision (bullseye) pistol national records to his credit, and 12 NRA National Pistol Championship wins. A former GySgt on the U.S. Marine Corps Pistol Team, Zins had, surprisingly, done very little shooting before joining the Corps.

Almost all of my pistols use a combat hold (white dot on the target, POA = POI) I rarely put the top of the front post on the target. Although I shot @KillerFord1977 s .357 revolver yesterday and did put top of post on target and it was dead bullseye at 10 yds.

My favorite set of sights is the Skinner peep sight, red fiber optic front sight I have on my brass receiver Henry Big Boy. I can hit tight groups at 100 yds all day long with it.

Thanks, Anni. When going over sight alignment, the author describes setting the sights so the point of impact is at the top of the front sight. That is how I have always aligned my sights, but I have read self defense articles that say the front sight should be right over the point of impact. I’m not sure which is exactly correct, but it seems to me the “on top of the front sight” works better because you can still see the target. I guess I need to get out a table and sandbags and find out for sure where my favorite handgun is set. Although, at self defense distances it probably doesn’t matter, I like to at least try to be precise in my shooting. We used to have impromptu contests when I was much younger.

It's not a Correct or Not Correct. Two schools of thought , both with their adherents .

I know which one I prefer & recommend.

Back