testtest

I guess this is the right place to ask

Which table would you pick for a budget?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looking for a budget work table. Lumber is too costly right now so I'm trying to decide between these two tables for general gunsmithing. Between the two, which would you pick?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210715-015552.png
    Screenshot_20210715-015552.png
    278.6 KB · Views: 194
Looking for a budget work table. Lumber is too costly right now so I'm trying to decide between these two tables for general gunsmithing. Between the two, which would you pick?

Unless in a real tight squeeze, would pass on both of those HF work benches because of them being light weight. Have looked at both online and in person, the metal one is fairly flimsy metal, the wood one's better and more stable, but is designed and intended for wood working. The wood working bench one looked at there was so-so. Drawers left a bit to be desired as far as construction. Either work bench could work in a pinch though. But, remember they are lightweight benches.

Me? Work benches? Don't like to throw away money at all. Always try to find something very durable that will last quite awhile. Guess am a bit of a scrooge too? :)

On looking for a good work bench, personally tend to go for heavy weight for stability, durability and storage. Added storage drawers and or closed in shelving's a big plus. Seem to never have enough for tools or parts. But, all of that is my opinion from over the years.

If can swing it, these two mobile benches @ HF are much better and heavier duty construction:

Here's one at H Depot that isn't too shoddy and a bit lower priced than the two mobile versions:

Other thoughts are to build one out of 2x4 lumber and plywood if know how to use or have space to use basic woodworking tools.

Or, can build a good work bench out of premade kitchen base cabinets that have drawers and or shelving preinstalled and some sort of heavy weight counter top. Have built a few over the years out of various materials and still have them. A good cheap source for prebuilt cabinets is Habitat for Humanity Stores or garage sales.

Side notes:
Using a good bench vise for best results usually requires a heavier stable work bench. Be careful using a wood vice for metal parts too if go that route, they're not always as durable as metal working vices for hammering and prying. You will likely need a good sturdy vice and they aren't light. Is part of why a heavier bench is important.

Some of a workbench plan is intended use for either metal or wood and for either light use or heavy duty use. Should use some precautions when using both metal and wood on same bench. Basically because of oils and lubricants possibly soaking into or screwing up wood projects. Sawdust in metal working isn't too pleasant either.

Regardless, is only my thoughts, opinions and experience. Best of luck on your choice!

....On the flip side, have rebuilt and worked on many small mechanical things like firearms and carburators on picnic or kitchen tables over the years. Sometimes a good TV tray may work? Even on an old tree stump once or twice. Many things don't require an actual work bench, just a good flat surface with good protection on top of them. May work for now? Depends on actual circumstances at the time.

I will just ask, will this be a permanent solution? Or will you eventually want to build a larger permanent work bench. If that is the case I would not buy a temp solution, but put the money towards buying some wood, and building a small version of what you want. It can be built to be easy to take apart to use the wood in your permanent version.

I might even consider the new polymer decking materials rather than wood.

The 2 tops I have a solid bamboo 1.75" thick that came from Sam's Club that did come with a fairly heave metal frame. You can find from $130 - 500 (the later is a rolling tool chest, if you want storage). If it's not a heavy bench it try too tip forward on down stroke plus the added weight of bullets, cases, dies, powder and other necessities close too you. What are you willing too spend for long term use?

Keep in mind the art of 'gun smithing' sometimes calls for quite a bit of heavy duty push/pull effort, like tightening/loosening a barrel/barrel nut, etc, so I'd recommend a substantially strong, even heavy, work table. Too light a bench won't last even the 2 yrs you mentioned, especially if you're going to try to use it for two entirely different purposes.

A gun smith bench is going to be (over time) roughed up, dirtied up, beat up, and used up, whereas a school work and study desk/table will need some order and cleanliness. There's also the times when you'll have a project on the bench with a gun torn apart for whatever reason and not real conducive to a quick and easy clean-up when you might need it.

Certainly there are ways around all these mentions, but most of them will require some sacrifice for both uses, neither of them being the most beneficial for your needs in either case.

You might want to reconsider trying to use one bench/table for both purposes, and look for a better solution. Best of luck in both endeavors and keep us updated on your progress.

NOTE: I know folks who are always on the lookout for a good gun smith ............ !!!

Keep in mind the art of 'gun smithing' sometimes calls for quite a bit of heavy duty push/pull effort, like tightening/loosening a barrel/barrel nut, etc, so I'd recommend a substantially strong, even heavy, work table. Too light a bench won't last even the 2 yrs you mentioned, especially if you're going to try to use it for two entirely different purposes.

A gun smith bench is going to be (over time) roughed up, dirtied up, beat up, and used up, whereas a school work and study desk/table will need some order and cleanliness. There's also the times when you'll have a project on the bench with a gun torn apart for whatever reason and not real conducive to a quick and easy clean-up when you might need it.

Certainly there are ways around all these mentions, but most of them will require some sacrifice for both uses, neither of them being the most beneficial for your needs in either case.

You might want to reconsider trying to use one bench/table for both purposes, and look for a better solution. Best of luck in both endeavors and keep us updated on your progress.

NOTE: I know folks who are always on the lookout for a good gun smith ............ !!!
The computer is a laptop so mobility isn't an issue. The idea was for the room to be for the purposes of pursuing that career. If I have a gun apart for whatever reason moving to the living room or bedroom is no issue :)
Reply to note: I'm definitely drumming up ideas on business and where to look!

This isn't for a permanent shop, something important I should have added, but temporary (approximately 2 years). I need it as part of my decision for school and completing school projects.

It would serve as both a computer desk and a work bench.
Might I suggest then that you talk to sone college kids who live in dorms. They come up with some really cheap desk and workspace options that really work well.

I know places like Ikea have some things that might work well.

I clean my guns in the garage wife doesn’t like the smell so I have a card table I use and matching card table chair works perfectly for me than when I am done folds away nicely
My wife hates the smell of black powder while I am plunging hot water thru the barrel. So naturally I tell her I have to do it in the kitchen because I need boiling water. Oddly my mother always says I am lucky my wife has not killed me in the past 43 years.

Back