testtest

Installing Fiber Optic Sights

Delved into my first fiber optics sight set install the other day on my Taurus G3 9mm. All went well as far as the install but I can't seem to make up my mind if the front sight is on straight or not. One minute I'll look at it and it seems ok, the next, it seems like the sight is canted just a bit to the right. I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet but is there a method, other than just eyeballing, to confirm the front sight is in line with the bore axis if the slide?

Is it a dovetail mount? There should be no way to install 'crooked' if it is...
No the front sight is held in by a screw you put in from under the barrel. You thread the sight onto the screw after adding a bit of blue locktite then kind of hold the sight down while you torque in the screw. The sight wants to spin while you're doing that so you kind of have to time it right on where the sight is when you lock it down for good. The rear sight is dove tailed so no issue on that one, just the front one that keeps looking weird to me.

No the front sight is held in by a screw you put in from under the barrel. You thread the sight onto the screw after adding a bit of blue locktite then kind of hold the sight down while you torque in the screw. The sight wants to spin while you're doing that so you kind of have to time it right on where the sight is when you lock it down for good. The rear sight is dove tailed so no issue on that one, just the front one that keeps looking weird to me.
Glock does the same thing! Poly front sights.

Delved into my first fiber optics sight set install the other day on my Taurus G3 9mm. All went well as far as the install but I can't seem to make up my mind if the front sight is on straight or not. One minute I'll look at it and it seems ok, the next, it seems like the sight is canted just a bit to the right. I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet but is there a method, other than just eyeballing, to confirm the front sight is in line with the bore axis if the slide?
I had the same problem. It looked just a tad off, then I though, na, it's ok. Took it out back to give it a test go and knew it was clearly off. Which worked out great as the fiber optic rod fell out anyway!! Brought it back in, loosened it up and reset it. Much better the second time. Put another fiber optic piece in and made sure I really bubbled the ends the second time. Back out for a test run and much better. I suggest test firing because that will really tell you. I would be willing to bet even if you dry fired it you can tell. Something about looking at the sight picture instead of trying to "eyeball" it....

Yes sir, it looks to be a bit off to the right if you're looking thru the rear sight picture to the front sight.
Try the string theory? If your rear sight is not centered over the striker optically looks off. Remove the slide and check from striker to barrel center. Thread or something thin enough too see the post.

I had the same problem. It looked just a tad off, then I though, na, it's ok. Took it out back to give it a test go and knew it was clearly off. Which worked out great as the fiber optic rod fell out anyway!! Brought it back in, loosened it up and reset it. Much better the second time. Put another fiber optic piece in and made sure I really bubbled the ends the second time. Back out for a test run and much better. I suggest test firing because that will really tell you. I would be willing to bet even if you dry fired it you can tell. Something about looking at the sight picture instead of trying to "eyeball" it....
Thank you for the info. I guess that's what I need to do is just get it to the range and try it out. I live in a suburb, wish I lived somewhere more rural so I could go test it out in my back yard...lol. The fiber optic rod fell out??? That's scary. I bubbled it pretty good on both ends, it wont' move at all so I'm hoping it will hold but I am worried that the whole sight will fly off. I have loctite on the screw but it just doesn't seen like a very strong screw. Thanks for the info.

Back