testtest

KIMBER 1911 PISTOLS

Back in the 80's my .45 acp Colt Gold Cups were so loose they were like maracas, except for one special edition 38 Super model. I checked out a friends' SA 1911 and then got rid of the .45acp GCs and went with SA 1911s until the mid-200's then I got a Charles Daley that I upgraded, then got into RIAs (9mm and 38 Super), and then the last 1911 I built up from various parts.

I really appreciate the info provided by many forum members on Kimber 1911 pistols. As it stands right now don't think I will be purchasing a Kimber 1911. They are good looking pistols just concerned about their reliability.
Early 1911 Kimbers had a lot of problems. The 3" version I had was bought in 2009 or 2010 and like I said , it ran fine and fed whatever ammo I put in it.

I am no fanboy of any brand of firearm. Some I like , some I don't. I have owned a little of everything through the years.

My first Kimber 1911 .45 was made in Clackamas Oregon, it has ran like a scolded cat. The only stoppages I've ever had with it were because of bad magazines. My second was bought less than two years ago. It's is a Rapide in 10mm, the finish is all Kimpro black with the titanium nitride finish on the barrel in gold. I would never own any of the number two models due to the fact of that Swartz safety. They do make many models that are still the series 70 design. I do agree with the finish My first one's finished is not the best. But then again back in the '90s It was priced at $499, I didn't pay a dime for it I traded a pistol in on it and it was an even trade.
There's a lot of nice 1911s out there in the marketplace.
My two kimbers are just fine for me, I like them and they run very well. My two boys and I put well over 1000 rounds between the two of them one weekend at the farm, neither had a stoppage. Personally I trust both of them with my life. Good magazines no matter what brand of 1911 are essential for a 1911 to run smoothly.

Have a Custom Pro 2. Mine has been fully reliable, no jams. Have had it for 3 years now. Was a 45th birthday gift to myself.
I don't have thousands of rounds through it, but all the ones I have shot have worked.

Only issue I have had were two of the grip screws (one on each grip) we're stripped (actually, the bushings) so I had to send it to Kimber to have them fix it. Customer service was amazing

Most accurate gun I own, way better than my Glock 17

I’ve had a couple of Kimbers.

No issues with either; thought they were fairly solid 1911’s…

They were also pretty much the bare bones Custom 2’s, though (one govt, one commander/mid).

I think their quality is pretty much on par with Springfield; I’d consider them better than the Colts that came out post 2010 or so.

When it comes to 1911's Colt has me hands down!
Generally a good rule to live by. I have a bunch of Colts and all are great guns. The name alone insures top resale value.
However, Colt has had some bad periods, like the previously mentioned 1980s GCs. Quality tended to get real spotty in the 90s & 2000s. However, reports are that since CZ took over, Colts have improved considerably. (y)

Generally a good rule to live by. I have a bunch of Colts and all are great guns. The name alone insures top resale value.
However, Colt has had some bad periods, like the previously mentioned 1980s GCs. Quality tended to get real spotty in the 90s & 2000s. However, reports are that since CZ took over, Colts have improved considerably. (y)
Colt was real bad in 1986-1987 during there strike, they pulled office staff and had them on the production lines, had 2 guns that were disastrous, 1911, slide was never hardened, chewed up all the lugs inside where barrel and slide locked up, python, first range trip all the lands shot out….plus there CS at that time sucked….when they sent back the python, the blueing on the barrel didn’t match the frame, but they did a good job on the 1911 though.

I know that many of the Series 80 Gold Cups were little more than the standard Government Model with adjustable sights. I have both a Series 70 and a Series 80 Gold Cups and there's absolutely no comparison. The Series 70 is a true target pistol and will shoot rings around the Series 80.
I have no idea if CZ has addressed this issue or not nor how good current GCs are.

Glock was the first polymer pistol I ever shot, liked it then, like them now, doesn’t make me a so called fan boy, I like my Sigs, XD’s, Glock is just my preference, BTW… the Glock perfection image I posted was just a joke….. meant nothing….
1720029143925.png

Back in the 80's my .45 acp Colt Gold Cups were so loose they were like maracas, except for one special edition 38 Super model. I checked out a friends' SA 1911 and then got rid of the .45acp GCs and went with SA 1911s until the mid-200's then I got a Charles Daley that I upgraded, then got into RIAs (9mm and 38 Super), and then the last 1911 I built up from various parts.
Kimbers are decent in my experience. I think I'd trust them more than SA based on the issues I see pop up here all the time. I also own a couple Colts. Even the one that rattles like a coffee can full of bolts is still accurate and reliable. I also have a Charles Daly ( Phillipines) that has had some work done to it that is a hell of a shooter.

Kimbers are decent in my experience. I think I'd trust them more than SA based on the issues I see pop up here all the time. I also own a couple Colts. Even the one that rattles like a coffee can full of bolts is still accurate and reliable. I also have a Charles Daly ( Phillipines) that has had some work done to it that is a hell of a shooter.
it goes to the mass production of anything.

no company can or does take every gun off the line and test it... they take maybe one out of every dozen, or 20 or whatever, then test that one.

if it was a handmade for you gun, then yeah, it gets tested.

i think that for the amount of mass production, in the end, all guns are as good as can be.

each company has its lovers, fanboys (or girls) and critics.

mine had an issue, i still cannot recall, but it got taken care of.

but i still had to sell it, to cut down on my stock, no other reason

i think others get in the "biotch line", only due to what they heard, and never even owned one.

Back