testtest

Light peening Slide stop notch

Scevaph

Elite
My Ronin (9mm 5") shows some light peening on the slide stop notch. Very slight but it can be felt.

Questions: Is this common? Causes? Is it self limiting? Leave it alone or address? Lightly tap raised material back flat or stone and touch up?

I have had one range session with this one but it was purchased used and it may have been there although I don't think so.

I put a 12# Recoil spring in it: Too much spring causing it to hit the stop too hard on last shot?

It had a few failures to lock on the lighter loads.

I was using the slide stop to release the slide on a new loaded magazine. I know better now and will pull back the slide and release (slingshot?) in the future.

Loads ranged from mils Blaser Brass 124 grain to +P 124 grain Gold dots. All factory loads

Observations / advice please
Peened area.JPG

My Ronin (9mm 5") shows some light peening on the slide stop notch. Very slight but it can be felt.

Questions: Is this common? Causes? Is it self limiting? Leave it alone or address? Lightly tap raised material back flat or stone and touch up?

I have had one range session with this one but it was purchased used and it may have been there although I don't think so.

I put a 12# Recoil spring in it: Too much spring causing it to hit the stop too hard on last shot?

I was using the slide stop to release the slide on a new loaded magazine. I know better now and will pull back the slide and release (slingshot?) in the future.

Loads ranged from mils Blaser Brass 124 grain to +P 124 grain Gold dots. All factory loads

Observations / advice pleaseView attachment 52306
i question this statement from you...."I have had one range session with this one but it was purchased used and it may have been there although I don't think so."

when then how the heck do you know for sure, it wasn't there before you bought it....??

did you do your due diligence and look it all over to be certain of scratches, blemishes, and the slide working? or did you buy it on spot all cuz you just wanted it?

i have been reading "your 1911 gun issues" either here or on the 1911...( https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/light-peening-at-edge-of-slide-stop-notch.229334/) website asking the same questions, and you seem to find lots of fault(s) with the 1911 platform......

my "best advice"?

take it back to the store and tell them you're physically upset with that "peening", and maybe buy a polymer gun instead??

Last edited:

Observations / advice pleaseView attachment 52306
Most of my 1911’s show this, to me it’s normal, not a issue

i question this statement from you...."I have had one range session with this one but it was purchased used and it may have been there although I don't think so."

when then how the heck do you know for sure, it wasn't there before you bought it....??

did you do your due diligence and look it all over to be certain of scratches, blemishes, and the slide working? or did you buy it on spot all cuz you just wanted it?

i have been reading "your 1911 gun issues" either here or on the 1911...( https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/light-peening-at-edge-of-slide-stop-notch.229334/) website asking the same questions, and you seem to find lots of fault(s) with the 1911 platform......

my "best advice"?

take it back to the store and tell them you're physically upset with that "peening", and maybe buy a polymer gun instead??

Wow; What a snide condescending response but that seems to be on par for you I have noticed.. My advice to you is if you don't have something constructive to say; stay out of the conversation.

I ask questions because I don't know. It has been a long time since I was anything but a revolver guy. I looked it over and I am pretty confident is was not like this when purchased. It was a private purchase. I like metal and wood, No polymer ones for me. The last 1911 I had was in the mid 1981's.

As for a lot of faults: I have asked about proper springs for the loads used and some thin blueing in which I gat good advice to leave it alone.

Wow; What a snide condescending response but that seems to be on par for you I have noticed.. My advice to you is if you don't have something constructive to say; stay out of the conversation.

I ask questions because I don't know. It has been a long time since I was anything but a revolver guy. I looked it over and I am pretty confident is was not like this when purchased. It was a private purchase. I like metal and wood, No polymer ones for me. The last 1911 I had was in the mid 1981's.

As for a lot of faults: I have asked about proper springs for the loads used and some thin blueing in which I gat good advice to leave it alone.
i had something constructive to say...

you can't handle it, what was said....the truth

you worry about the most mundane of things...

better for you to go and buy a sling shot, and give up your gun(s)

and from the 1980's till now, you didn't remember scratches, marks, "peening"..???

I'm pretty sure that USGI slides were spot-hardened in that area, and you can actually see a difference in color on some of them. Maybe SA (and others) aren't doing that anymore?

Just took a quick look at my "house gun," which has a USGI WWII Ithaca slide. I straightened and polished that slide, then had it sandblasted, then matte-blued around 1985 or so, then put about 25,000 rounds through it, with the slide reliably locking back, and I ALWAYS dropped the slide using the slide stop (i.e., I NEVER "slingshot" this or any other 1911). There is NO wear whatsoever in this area. ;) (y)

Last edited:
Thank you for the input. It appears to be a normal thing to occur so I will leave it alone and won't worry over it.

When I post it is because I am attempting to learn something. I like the 1911 platform but have not had one for almost 40 years and then it was a .45 Colt Series 70. While I know they will accumulate normal wear and handling marks and have no problem with that I do try to keep my things in good shape. I was not sure it the raised metal in that area was a problem sign or fairly normal; so I asked. I am rather ignorant on spring rates (specially for a 9mm) so I asked. I had a light area in the blue that I could accept but may be easily corrected, so I asked. I prefer black rear sights but wanted other's input; so I asked. I do not necessarily think these are defects but since I don't KNOW I ask. That is how one learns things. I ask because I want to educate myself.

I appreciate those who give straightforward answers and share their knowledge. For those who just seem to want seem to say we are ignorant or have no business with nice things I found there is something called an ignore button and have made use of it.

Thank you for the input. It appears to be a normal thing to occur so I will leave it alone and won't worry over it.

When I post it is because I am attempting to learn something. I like the 1911 platform but have not had one for almost 40 years and then it was a .45 Colt Series 70. While I know they will accumulate normal wear and handling marks and have no problem with that I do try to keep my things in good shape. I was not sure it the raised metal in that area was a problem sign or fairly normal; so I asked. I am rather ignorant on spring rates (specially for a 9mm) so I asked. I had a light area in the blue that I could accept but may be easily corrected, so I asked. I prefer black rear sights but wanted other's input; so I asked. I do not necessarily think these are defects but since I don't KNOW I ask. That is how one learns things. I ask because I want to educate myself.

I appreciate those who give straightforward answers and share their knowledge. For those who just seem to want seem to say we are ignorant or have no business with nice things I found there is something called an ignore button and have made use of it.
Many of us on here gets similar replies and some are humorous (not the bone). I was reported many years back with this reply (start with the question 1st)

question: This might be a stupid question (that's how it started)
answer: I've heard there isn't any stupid questions, only stupid answers.

That sentence got me reported.

Back