testtest

Light peening Slide stop notch

Here is my Ronin, now i have not fired it yet but it is a used gun. but hasn't had many rounds through it

20240212_143217.jpg
20240212_143403.jpg

i had something constructive to say...

you can't handle it, what was said....the truth

you worry about the most mundane of things...

better for you to go and buy a sling shot, and give up your gun(s)
WOW! Are you grumpy today or what, he asked a question which most on here do, you have asked questions but did anybody give you a reply like you gave him, no need to get sarcastic, and say he worries about mundane things, you are the one who was concerned and asked about plastic MSH which I even explained in detail has no stress on them whatsoever like you thought, to many attitudes here lately which most don't need or want just cause they ask something most think are ridiculous.

On a used piece, you’ve no idea how much it’s been fired OR how it was treated. I don’t see anything that would cause undoconcern-curious though, what a non stock spring? The mfgr’s typically will try for springs that are “balanced” for the firearm/cartridge combination. In 5+ decades of shooting handguns, the issues I’ve seen with auto.s are almost always related to a Mag with funky feedlips or aftermarket springs. Not saying that’s the cause of your issue, but I’d think it’s possible.

WOW! Are you grumpy today or what, he asked a question which most on here do, you have asked questions but did anybody give you a reply like you gave him, no need to get sarcastic, and say he worries about mundane things, you are the one who was concerned and asked about plastic MSH which I even explained in detail has no stress on them whatsoever like you thought, to many attitudes here lately which most don't need or want just cause they ask something most think are ridiculous.
don't forget, he said he had prior experience with 1911's, i did not when i got mine.

don't forget, he did not fully check the gun before buying, and he could have just as easily walked away.

also do not forget, it is a used gun and he doubted that slide to not have been "pre-peened".

not doing his "due diligence" before buying, then questioning the product

and i am as grumpy as always

On a used piece, you’ve no idea how much it’s been fired OR how it was treated. I don’t see anything that would cause undoconcern-curious though, what a non stock spring? The mfgr’s typically will try for springs that are “balanced” for the firearm/cartridge combination. In 5+ decades of shooting handguns, the issues I’ve seen with auto.s are almost always related to a Mag with funky feedlips or aftermarket springs. Not saying that’s the cause of your issue, but I’d think it’s possible.

Springfield uses a 9 lb recoil spring in their 5 inch 9mm 1911's. Since I don't use 115 grain loads and the factory Range and serious ammo I use is 124 grain at 1181 to 1220 fps I changed it out to a 12 lb recoil spring. It may be a tad heavy and I am considering a drop to 10 or 11 lb; probably the 11 lb. I use Wolff springs.

Here is my Ronin, now i have not fired it yet but it is a used gun. but hasn't had many rounds through it

View attachment 52308View attachment 52309

That looks good to me. Mine is similar with the exception of a very slight raised metal along the rear edge where the slide stop contacts it to hold the slide open. I am just going to keep an eye on it as I think it will be self limiting. I'll only worry if it gets worse and if it does I'll take some sort of action on it.

That looks good to me. Mine is similar with the exception of a very slight raised metal along the rear edge where the slide stop contacts it to hold the slide open. I am just going to keep an eye on it as I think it will be self limiting. I'll only worry if it gets worse and if it does I'll take some sort of action on it.
No more than what you got, your good. you might look on the slide stop where it hits the slide and see if it has a bur on it or a wore spot.

Here are better photos I took; keep in mind they enlarge things. I will look at the slide stop next as I plan to file the notch in it for easier assembly anyway.View attachment 52315View attachment 52316View attachment 52317View attachment 52318View attachment 52319View attachment 52320View attachment 52321
Nah, its a terribly flawed gun.
You should donate it to @Old_Me so he can work the kinks out between naps. You know, wake him up with .45 acp so he remembers to take his Midol . 🤪🤪

I should Clarify; I bought this used in a private purchase (face to face as we are in the same state / area) from a member of another unrelated forum who I have had other dealings with. I did look it over and I am almost 100% sure it was not showing peening at that time. If it did I would have bought it anyway; there was no thought about trying to return it. In fact I doubt it had been shot much at all. I first noticed it after my first range session when cleaning it. MY thought was that it was a common occurrence and nothing to worry about but did want the opinions of others with more experience. Yes; I had a .45 cal 1911 almost 40 years ago that I bought new and shot a lot and it gathered it's share of dings holster wear but I simply cannot remember if the old Colt had this particular marking. I did think that possibly it was probably from either the 12# spring giving more forward pressure when hitting the stop or from using the Slide stop as a slide release which I now know is not actually recommended. Other than the one Colt years ago my only Semi Auto experience has been nice 22 target pistols, I have mainly been a Revolver guy and if you want to talk S&W K or N frames or Ruger Six Series Double actions I can hold my own. AS I said, My own feeling was that it was cosmetic only, probably wouldn't get worse and don't worry about. I started this thread on the chance I was wrong and it was actually a problem that required addressing. I received to the point good answers and advice from most of you which I appreciate and I received some feedback that seemed to be saying that if I am too ignorant to know all about 1911's or if I am going to fret over every little thing I have no business having a nice machine like my 1911.

Anyway; Thank to all of you for helping me learn more about 1911's. I do mean all of you as I have learned from everyone.

Other that probably dropping down to a slightly lower poundage (11#, but I also have a 10#) Recoil spring am going to keep shooting it and will no longer sweat the mark

Wack it with a hammer.
Then I had the pin in a Ruger blackhawk rear sight fall out. Replaced it with a finish nail and the bent the excess over. There fall out now! Maybe you don't want to take my advice.:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Back